Need To Lower The e28...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need To Lower The e28...

Alright, I have a 1987 535is that needs to come down. It currently sits at a respectable hight, minimal fender gap. Here is the issue... I heated and compressed the coils in the front so I wasnt rollin around granny status. Can i still cut the front springs or have to get new ones. Right now, I cannot affors coils or air. Also, I dont want my car to ride like complete shit, obviously willing to sacrifice some ride quality but i dont wanna be bouncin around everywhere. So, what are my best options... Are there any companies that make very low lowering springs for an e28?? How many coils can come of without poor ride?? Any help is appriciated...

insta:yungwymo

How The Car Sits

[ATTACH]4742[/ATTACH]

Comment

Like most e28s on stanceworks, mine is on cut springs. The front used to have some travel and actually rode really well at this height:

Then I cut more spring and bottomed out my strut and now the ride is really awful because my only suspension is tire.

So yeah, just be careful not to cut to much if you still want a good ride.

The rear is a ebay coilover sleeve with some sort of spring one of my friends gave me.

You should be able to go as low as you want in the back with this without bottoming out.

Here are some diy coilover setups as well that I'm probably going to look into doing when I have more money.

Or this, but with springs instead of bags.

Hope I helped, your car is beautiful. It looked great at Show n Shine.
      Lift your engine as well with some washers, if you wanna protect that oil pan.

Comment

Thanks man. Yeah this helps, I'm trying to sell my current wheel/tire setup to get some 17x8 white steelies. I'll prolly end up cutting the stock springs but if I get enough dough I might pick up some spax springs and maybe take a coil er two off the I dunno. I'm in no rush though so we will see what happens, right now I have the infamous clutch to the floor problem whenever I drive it for a while when it's hot out. Not a huge deal, but annoying. Need to bleed. Thanks again

Comment

Think ive got it figured out... Buying some ebay sleeves and springs. Only 50 bucks, again on a budget. I'll prolly cut the bottom part of the strut that hold the stock spring and just leave a a lil bit for the sleeve to sit on. (I only need to cut in the front, the back struts should work as Alex's pictured above). I'll update the build thread when I get around to puting the makeshift coils on.

Comment

look at my last thread, Something something magic i am only on springs and shocks, depending on how low you want to go, this is a pretty nice setup. i am running cas shocks and -80 and -45 springs (not 100% sure on the specs, but pretty sure) running a 17inch wheels.
            -Instagram@jdjurhuus
            Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

your car is amazing. I like where your car sits, but i just dont have the money for new shocks. I have bilstiens on my car, not stock shocks. Granted bilstiens are not ideal, they will do the job. Making some wannabe coilovers is my best option right now. Honestly I just want a sort of mini project to just say ive built my own coils, even though its super easy and basicly nothing like buying a legit 1k system, it will get me low. All my friends cars {sides the ones with the vws] are on cut springs and I just wanna be different if that makes any sense. Thank you much for the input though. Your e28 is one of my favorites. Color=Unbeatable.
              Last edited by Wyatt Lay; 08-24-2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

How much do I need to cut off my stock springs to get that ride height willis? and can yall link me the ebay spring and sleeve for the rears? just picked up an e28 2 days ago :] I did not do my research on suspension, really not many suspension options for these cars :/

Comment

Just eBay search coilover sleeves. Just need the spring and the
                  Sleeve, you should be able to get a full set for 50-60. No mods need to be done to the rear strut. The sleeve just fits over like willis' pictured above. The fronts need to have the stock perch cut where the regular spring sits on. Can be cut with a plasma cutter then grinded down so that the eBay sleeve sits on the perch weld.

Comment

Thanks wyatt! 50 bucks?!?!? Fk yes

Comment

No problem man! Best way to get low on a budget for e28s besides cutting springs... But this setup should ride much better than that, especially if you are on aftermarket struts.

Comment

Problem resolved... Cut springs all day, everyday, everyway, I don't play... Okay?

Comment

I know this is old. But I see lots of lowering cut spring threads. 'm assuming people are removing the coils from a lower perch correct? Can this be done with car jacked up without removing Springs?

Comment

dont cut spring with tension on the spring. thats bad. remove them

Comment

Working...
                            X