No announcement yet.

E46 Daydreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice progress. Big fan of the wheels. Actually looked at these for my E39, but wanted a staggered setup. They really suit the your E46 though. think I'll be following this thread!

Scottish idiot with an unhealthy E39 obsession... @scumbag_mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
      Ever tried coating the gaskets with sealant paste? I had a friggin leak in my golf that did not want to go away because of a ruined o-ring seat, so I gobbled a bunch of grey sealant on it, torqued it down and voila no more leak. Not the "right" way to do it but I **** leaky cars so extreme problems need extreme solutions
      I was using sealeant, but without success. Not sure, but maybe crankcase ventilation does not work as it should, makes pressure under rocker cover which makes oil leak. Should check before oil change.
      It's right to use a thin layer of sealant over gaskets.
      Instagram valgers97

Comment

• Originally posted by RV97 View Post
        I was using sealeant, but without success. Not sure, but maybe crankcase ventilation does not work as it should, makes pressure under rocker cover which makes oil leak. Should check before oil change.
        This is definitely a good shout. Too much pressure can sometimes blow the gasket, which is what happened on my M52, changed all the crankcase breather pipes and breather, problem solved!

Comment

• I think your car looks great as is, and doesn't need a front lip.

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Car currently looks the same as it did.

I did take care of a couple of things. Firstly, I used a paint correction kit to paint in the number plate trim scratches, so now I don't have two random white dots on my plate. I did the same to the two golf sized chips just underneath. All in all, good stuff.

I also bought some £2 shiny nut covers. On one hand I now feel like I'm driving a Chrysler 300C but on the other hand I'm happy that I no longer have miss matched wheel nut colours. It'll do until I have spare cash for proper bolts.

I also made a new pal on instagram who has a lovely E36. His name is Aidan and some of you have probably seen him on the gram.

He has made me realise two things. 1, I want an E36 vert, and 2, my stance game is weak. Looking at my rake now makes me want to cry and I'd very much like to drop the rear so it's sitting level and ideally I'm tucking tire.

I stuffed some pals into the back of my car and I absolutely loved the way it sat.

Unfortunately for me, I cant drop the back anymore, meaning I'm either going to have to get some scissors out and do some choppy bits, or find some new springs. I'm worried however that if I get new shorter springs I'll end up busting the FK AK dampers. Which would be unfortunate.

Anyone got any tips/ideas? I don't fancy spending on £800 worth of new coil overs just yet, before someone at the back suggests it.

Originally posted by dres2x View Post
            Nice job guy

I really like the KBS styling side skirt extensions. A little less the front splitter.
            Thanks. Yeah, I've kind of gone off it.

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
            Those striped tail lights actually look pretty sweet with the clear indicators

Glad you were able to take care of the maintenance without too much issue, always feels great to have the car running tip top.
            Thanks, I took em off for my MOT and haven't bothered since. They're cool but they're a lot of hassle and don't really fit the OEM+ theme I've got going on. Might save it for when (if) I get splits and do some jap themed stuff. Just an idea for now though.

Originally posted by RV97 View Post
            I think oil leakage from rocker cover and oil filter housing is very common problem for older BMW's. I have changed mine many times with no success, sadly. It keeps leaking anyway, but less.
            BTW you can look at realoem.com and find all parts, pricing and part codes for BMW's.
            Hmm, on one hand it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem but it's also a shame this problem exists. Thanks for the plug by the way!

Originally posted by thirtynine View Post
            Nice progress. Big fan of the wheels. Actually looked at these for my E39, but wanted a staggered setup. They really suit the your E46 though. think I'll be following this thread!
            Thanks! I don't think they'd fit onto an E39 anyway as your centre bore is too t h i c c.

Originally posted by RV97 View Post
            Sounds complicated. I'll go to the pub instead.

Originally posted by Minuki View Post
            This is definitely a good shout. Too much pressure can sometimes blow the gasket, which is what happened on my M52, changed all the crankcase breather pipes and breather, problem solved!
            Drive it till the wheels fall off I say!

Originally posted by becausephilchow View Post
            I think your car looks great as is, and doesn't need a front lip.
            Thanks. I think you look great too.
            Last edited by Mehowski; 04-18-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• You are probably going to bust the dampers as it is now, coilover kits aren't designed to run "all the way down" as we use them so if I were you I'd not be worried. Did you already remove all spring collars in the back? They free a fair amount of lows when removed.

Be aware if you tuck tyre you may need heavier rate springs or you are going to chew your tyre in your wheel arch, there is not much room up there.

Btw I like your current stance, very balanced and oem looking, to me there's no need to lower the rear a lot

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• haha I have 20x polished bolts at home from my 36. swing by if you want them.
                Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Could try a set of these if you go with shorter springs to keep the shocks happy.

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• I rekon you should get some gloss black grills, and a new exhaust. The exhaust will definitely make you want to keep it and do more trust. I had them change the exhaust on the jag before i picked it up lol

Comment

• The front end is still screaming for a set of projectors IMO. You can retrofit projectors in a set of reflector housings pretty cheap with good results, would even give you the chance to add halos if you wanted.

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                      "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                      SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                        You are probably going to bust the dampers as it is now, coilover kits aren't designed to run "all the way down" as we use them so if I were you I'd not be worried. Did you already remove all spring collars in the back? They free a fair amount of lows when removed.

Be aware if you tuck tyre you may need heavier rate springs or you are going to chew your tyre in your wheel arch, there is not much room up there.

Btw I like your current stance, very balanced and oem looking, to me there's no need to lower the rear a lot
                        +1

I liked like this, focus on a swap maybe

Aidan's BMW looks cool but the Miata looks even better!
                        Last edited by DawsonLiri; 04-28-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Hi all!

Car is broken again - not ideal.

Coolant expansion tank has given in and is leaking from the joint at the top. New one is £35 which isn't bad, then £20 for new coolant and then I have the fun job of bleeding that. Luckily for me the engine didn't overheat!

Bit annoyed, was hoping to take it to a car meet on Sunday but now I have the whole summer of using it to look forward to knowing the cooling system might become temperamental again.

I'm going to get this fixed then I'm tempted to get rid of the car - it's been giving me shit and I feel like it's reaching the age where everything will need repairing soon.

Currently tempted to buy another small run around like another 6n2 and just use that whilst I save up until I'm 21 in January and treat myself to something cool again.

Keen to hear opinions, but I'm bored of the thing breaking and I want to save money.

thanks!
                          Michal

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                          +1

I liked like this, focus on a swap maybe

Aidan's BMW looks cool but the Miata looks even better!

Originally posted by 19birel View Post
                          The front end is still screaming for a set of projectors IMO. You can retrofit projectors in a set of reflector housings pretty cheap with good results, would even give you the chance to add halos if you wanted.
                          Projectors would be cool. Or I could credit card my way into another E46 which already has projectors. And is black. And has a sunroof. And cream leather.

Originally posted by Tris_xkr View Post
                          I rekon you should get some gloss black grills, and a new exhaust. The exhaust will definitely make you want to keep it and do more trust. I had them change the exhaust on the jag before i picked it up lol
                          If I get an exhaust I'll start mistaking the car for a Corsa. Nothing wrong with Corsas, but I don't want one.

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                          Could try a set of these if you go with shorter springs to keep the shocks happy.

https://store.garagistic.com/Garagis...nt-E30-E36-E46
                          might be a plan

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
                          haha I have 20x polished bolts at home from my 36. swing by if you want them.
                          On my way!

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                          You are probably going to bust the dampers as it is now, coilover kits aren't designed to run "all the way down" as we use them so if I were you I'd not be worried. Did you already remove all spring collars in the back? They free a fair amount of lows when removed.

thanks, shame my car doesn't like itself and keeps trying to commit suicide
                          Last edited by Mehowski; 04-28-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• love the car!

Comment

• Buy my soon to be fixed 6N2. It burns less oil too!
                              Bagged 2002 Lupo SE Project (Dead)
                              1999 Polo 6N 1.4 CL Daily project

Instagram: @lewdeak

Comment

• Hi!

Fixed the coolant expansion tank - chucked a new air fliter and everything seems good.

Service coming up soon too! Already bought the bits for it. I've also got new center caps coming (hopefully tomorrow) and front spacers at the start of next month all in time for Players Classic.

Anyway, decided to add some pin stripes. What do we think?

Looks pretty cool imo! I'll be keeping them.

I'll make my white tail lights again before Players Classic too.

The American number plate is off atm as the glue was coming off the frame and I don't want to lose it.

Hope you've all been well guys!
                                Last edited by Mehowski; 05-18-2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X