X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murderation | '95 Miata, bagged, smoothed and ITB'd

Hello folks!

First a quick summary of myself
    Daniel here, from Norway. Also known as O'snap. Freelance videographer and filmmaker and just graduated from College, aged 22 currently.

So, to the car. It's a 1995 Miata originally with a 1.6. I have done a lot to this car over the past years, owned it since I was 16 and it was up until a couple years ago my daily. Things escalated at one point and it was seeing more time on the jackstands than it ever did the road - like my neighbour kindly pointed out.

I will quickly summarise the history of the car up until today in this first post - as it's now the interesting work is being done.

Picked it up completely stock. Never worked on a car a day of my life.

I already back then know I wanted ITB's, got these cheap from Japan - no name kit. I got a good deal I couldn't pass up, even when I knew I wouldn't be able to put them on for a long time. I will get back to these later.

First thing was wheels. Realised it needed to be lowered quite a bit.

More parts added and lowered a fair amount on Racelands.
    Project-G sidefusers, GV front lip, Bride buckets and painted the tatty hardtop white.

2012-2013

Got my license, took it to a track.

Over the winter I put a Hard Dog M1 cage in it.

And countless hours laying underneath the car on the concrete, grinding away underseal, rust and paint and re-did everything under.

What's sad is that all of this has to be re-done today after 30k km's driving

Put it all together and rolled it out again in the spring

Drove it 1200km's to drive on a track in Sweden

Dailied it and generally tried to enjoy the car

Blew a tire in the middle of nowhere on a highway and had to kill time

Got good deal on a used set of Airforce struts with Airlift V2 management with everything from California, apparently one of the first sets ever made by Airforce

Remember the ITB's I bought almost 5 years earlier?

It was finally time to put them on. Got my hands on an ECU from Adaptronic and got a tuner called Race Lab to tune it for me.

Made a whopping 8bhp on the hubs from a tune and ITB's

... But the noises!

Then came spring and it was time to finally do something I've been wanting for a long time

Paint. That's a very long story in itself that I'll skip.

Ended up on the McLaren P1 Carbon Black with two types of House of Kolor flakes in it. The holographic ones and a smaller silver flake. Spread very very thinly

I got the car delivered at 7pm Wednesday and put it together and managed to change the windscreen and do a self alignment and arrived at Gatebil Friday at around 4pm. Freshly painted on a set of BBS RS' I had gotten while the car was in for paint.

Rear: 15x10 et -13
    Front: 15x8.5 et5
    The fronts will be widened at least another inch at some point when I find new lips.

A few months later I got a spot at Oslo Motorshow (biggest indoor car exhibition held in Norway) this time with 25mm spacers up front for the lack of width.

Straight after Oslo Motorshow I stuck the car in the garage. I didn't win any trophies and the judges reasoning for that was, the enginebay and trunk wasn't as nice as the rest of the car. That fuelled my mission that I was about to embark on.

Yet again I started to tear down the car. This time even further than ever before.

First thing I did was to buy a 180sx Clubsport wing. A little bit wider than the oem Type X wing, and quite a bit more subtle than the 326 version.

Once I can roll the car out of the garage I will start the fiberglass work as it involves quite a bit of cutting to make the legs fit.

It wasn't going to look like this anymore

Everything out of the bay

When stripping a car fully, organizing is difficult. Had to rent a storage space to fit all the parts safely.

Redoing the entire original loom. Moving all the fuseboxes and even the original ABS pump with loom is going to be mounted inside the car once I get that far. Complete wire tuck.

All cleaned and grinding down to bare metal everywhere I wanted to weld. Every hole, profile or seam was going to be welded.

I have never welded in my life. So I bought gas, borrowed a Kempi Mig and started learning by doing.

Fully welded the original struttower reinforcements in preperation for the profile they have to be ground down nearly flat - to regain some of the strength.

Removing a heightened part and replacing the metal.

Filling every dang hole

Boxing in the tower and welding up to remove the profiles on the corner supports.

Seam welded, ground down back and soon ready for the next step.

Meanwhile I sold the 1.6 and ITB's and bought myself a 1.8 VVT head for a fully built engine build when I can afford it.

Also a 1.8 block that will be bored up to a 2.1 liter

I got an insane deal on a brand new 1.8 Jenvey ITB kit. Couldn't pass it up.

Naturally I had to mock it up and see how it'd look

And instead of buying every part I needed to complete the 1.8 swap, I bought a car that didn't run with the exact swap I was going to do.

The shell was rusted to hell. 2001 Sport engine and running gear, with everything I needed.

Stripped, sold every part I didn't need

Engine out

Carcass was compltely stripped, sold what I didn't need and kept a few bits.

A couple days a week for a month was all it took to strip the car.

So, the enginebay. All done with the welding.

Instead of using bondo, I decided to learn a oldschool way of doing things. Lead filling.

Before

During, applied the lead

Hammered out a crevice and filled in the rest.

After, nearly done with the one half. Some areas need more lead and smoothing. Goal is to use as little bodyfiller as absolutely possible.

And that's pretty much how far I've gotten in this process. There's a lot of work to do still. Inbetween work and a prolapsed back.

Thanks for reading, those of you who made it this far. More to come once there's more progress!
    Any questions? Let me know.
    '95 Bagged, Smoothed and ITB'd Miata 'Murderation'
    ,02 Lexus LS430 daily, soon to be VIP'ish
    youtube.com/user/HovdahlDaniel
    IG: osnap_dan
    snapchat: danielhovdahl

Holy crap, nice!

Comment

WOW!!! Loving this build, that's some serious smoooooooothing going on in the engine bay, looking forward to more updates
      My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Wow! I love builds like this that just hit you with all the sauce in one go instead of making you keep coming back for little tidbits.

Best wishes on the recovery process!

Comment

This a really cool write-up. For 22 you really have a good sense of a grassroots build and are showcasing it well. The attention to detail is insane and honestly the main reason I clicked on this thread was because I saw ITB's but you gave me more reason to love it! Very cool man I'm in for more!

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
          I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

this is awesome!!! I can't wait to see that 180sx wing on the trunk. The ITB's also look incredible. Definitely subbed. keep up the good work!
            Some people will never understand it, why we do what we do.
            The busted knuckles and the late nights in the garage;
            it's more than a hobby or pastime, it's a lifestyle. We live it."

Instagram: @Stance_God
            My 93' EG Sedan Build ( Daily )
            My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Love it! Subscribed

Comment

wow man, respect to you for learning to weld and im so happy to see you have used lead to do the bay.

Defo going to keep an eye on this mate

BMW E36 Touring Sport - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76178
                Instagram: @Vish399

Comment

Alright! So.

I'm gonna go over some of the tools I find to be effective when working with the lead after you've laid it out with a torch and paddles. And I'm most likely gonna make an in depth tutorial on the other side of the bay once I'm happy with this one (so I am confident I know what I'm doing)

First of all: Safety first. A good mask with filters that deal with dust and particles. Because let's be honest, doing what we do we don't need to be any more retarded by something as lead poisioning.

Then, good hammers and backings (?) for straightening whatever folds or creases in the metal.

This belt sander has made things stupid easy. Best investment I did for this project.

For airtools: Wirewheel and wire brushes, small round and flexible 50grit sander and dremel

The dremel is important because you need to get into all the edges, into the folds and crevices as everything needs to be spotless for the lead to stick.

Like these folds and edges.

Once they're clean enough and prepped, you get to the leading.

Boom. Put some primer down on it. It's MOSTLY done with the leading, although I'm not completely happy - I'd love to have it 100% smooth and ready for paint with the lead only. But I realise that 1. I'm not skilled enough for it yet and 2. I'm gonna spend MONTHS doing it because of reason number 1.

So. The next step is bondo and bodyfiller to finish the last 10%.

Until next time! Going on a vacation next week so, it'll be a while.

Comment

Oh man, trust me: those "last 10%" are going to be at least 40% Did the engine bay of my w124 too with "just" body filler... (don't bother looking it up in my thread. Still need to post updates there)

I would advice to use metal filler/putty though, which has small metal particles in it. If I recall correctly, it handles heat better than the regular filler.

Looking forward to seeing future updates!
                    Last edited by loekaaz; 01-20-2017, 04:18 AM.
                    Lucas
                    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                    Originally posted by LCG
                    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Daaamn very sexy

Comment

this is wicked man! good too see people jump in and get stuff done

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
                          Oh man, trust me: those "last 10%" are going to be at least 40% Did the engine bay of my w124 too with "just" body filler... (don't bother looking it up in my thread. Still need to post updates there)

I would advice to use metal filler/putty though, which has small metal particles in it. If I recall correctly, it handles heat better than the regular filler.

Looking forward to seeing future updates!
                          Yeah I have tinnfiller to go on top of this, so that's the next step for it!

Comment

Work's going slowly with the car. Work and other obligations have been keeping me away from the garage, but the next month I literally have nothing booked so I hope to get more done now!

Although I made a little how-to video on the leading part. Check it out if you want

A very short and superficial tutorial into how you use lead to smooth dents, seams or other metal imperfections you have on your car. This how to, goes over ...

Comment

This is amazing and everything I wished my Miata could have been long ago.

Definitely in for more, can't wait to see what's next on the engine bay. Very impressive work to seem like you're just jumping in headfirst.
                              Bagged '01 325i Touring - Sold 😢
                              Bagged '10 E90 335i - Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X