No announcement yet.

Scott's E36 Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick wee mod over the holidays. Can't wait to get stuck into this again.

Comment

• Both cars look great, must be nice they are the same chassis. Swapping parts and maintenance must be 10x easier because you are so familiar with the cars and have two of the same.
      Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
      and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
      S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

• looks good as always

Comment

• Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
          Both cars look great, must be nice they are the same chassis. Swapping parts and maintenance must be 10x easier because you are so familiar with the cars and have two of the same.
          Having two Tourings is the best. I always learn something from working on each one so then when the time comes around to do it again on the other car, it's 10x faster and easier because I've already done it.

Originally posted by C2_mad View Post
          looks good as always
          Thanks dude!

Comment

• I got around to starting the "Winter jobs" on the Touring today.

First was to refit my instrument cluster, which was nice and easy. I've lost a bolt however, so I'll have to try and grab one from the scrappies. The red needles look way cool though!

Next job was to sort my OBC. Still running the 11 button one, but it hasn't worked for a year or two, even after new bulbs. So I sourced an bought a good, genuine, second hand replacement last week. It works a treat!

Note the temperature reading is only because the brake ducts are out of the car.

And this first big job on the list was replacing the Steering UJ/Universal joint column. Some of you might already remember that I've done this job about a year a go, because the original was seized. However having driving the car last season, I was never confident in how it handled, the steering was just so vague and I couldn't drive it as hard as I used to, which was a bit of bummer.

So I've ordered a solid steering bush and new UJ in the hopes that it solves the problem, if it doesn't, then I'll replace/upgrade the rack to an E46 Clubsport one as that's the only thing on the front that hasn't been replaced.

Bit of a tricky job, as you can see, access is quite tight at the top. If you're thinking of doing this, then unbolt the rack and move it forward, free the bottom joint off first and then do the top. I think the re-fit might be a bit trickier though!

I have some bits and bobs arriving from BMW this week, which will hopefully make the car appear cleaner - new bumper trims/plastics etc. I'm going to get some more bits powdercoated underneath as well, as it still looks great under there. It's so nice working on a clean car - not driving it in the rain has really paid off

Comment

• So today was Round 3 of re-installing the UJ. If you're doing it on your own, like I was, I'd set aside a good couple of hours. Nothing about it is really difficult,more often than not you're just bashing stuff with hammers, which anyone can do, but getting the bloody wheels and steering wheel straight is very hard.

I found I had to get the UJ on the correct splines from the column to have the steering wheel straight as well as the wheels. It took me a good couple of goes, more than I'd like to admit. But I got there in the and it's all back together and ready to be tested.

(The silver bit in the middle is what you're looking at, usually a rubber mount with heat shielding, now a solid bit of alloy.)

Next job was to refit my replacement AUX fan, but that stopped very quickly as I misplaced the bloody bolts. So I'm waiting on BMW getting back to me so I can order new ones.

My original one was seized solid and I didn't realise until it was too late and the car got a little warm in the queue for a show last year - I took it off just to help improve airflow to the rad.

I've taken the headlights out to clean them up, as lovely as new ones would be and as much as I like buying stuff from BMW, I can't justify the price. So I'm going to clean them up and polish the glass the best I can.

Comment

• Got a little bit done today on my half day off work. BMW got round to sending me the right bolts for the AUX fan, a little confusion had them send the wrong ones out first, but the guys at Harry Fairbairn in Kirkaldy sorted me out.

And now I have a nice replacement AUX fan installed. I gave it a good clean up and pretty much every other black plastic part I could find!

I then re-fitted the bumper and lights which I spent forever cleaning to make them look all nice again. But, my phone died so I didn't grab any photos of them being back in. I'm having a little trouble getting an even panel gap between the headlight and nose-cone, so I'll have to spend a little bit of time sorting that out, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Popped the bumper back on with the new bumper trims and it looks really good. I've got to get some kidney grills and new indicators and then that will be pretty much everything on the front brand new, including some of the trims underneath.

I put new front discs and pads on the Red Touring as I had a slight vibration under braking, which is sorted now. Just need the wheels balanced.

My mate sorted me out with this wicked looking Walnut gearknob, a thank you for rolling his arches. I'm so stoked with it, it looks and feels so good!

Comment

• Coming together awesome bud=) Oem kidneys are expensive=/ They're roughly $50 a piece here
                  95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl View Post
                    Coming together awesome bud=) Oem kidneys are expensive=/ They're roughly $50 a piece here
                    Thanks man. They are really not too bad here, I think they're about £23 each!

Comment

• Saw a man in Glasgow selling some little bits that I needed, so I got my dad to pick them up and post them down.

Replacement temp sensor to replace the one I threw away with my standard brake ducts that didn't fit my M Sport bumper. It'll be nice not having it read -37 anymore!

And this US Spec, central locking button, which I've been hunting for a while. I **** driving the car unlocked and always use the door lock pins to lock from the inside, having the button will make it feel a little more modern. Just need to wire it in.

I would like another one of these, for my daily, so if anyone has one spare or can get me one (I'm looking at you US guys) I will happily take one from you!

Comment

• Another big job done today - Retrofitting a Black M Sport Headlining.

Pulled the car out of the garage for the first time in months, the battery had been off, but once connected, fired right up without hesitation. God, I love this car.

Removal wasn't too bad, broke one or two little trim clips, but they can be easily replaced.

Once removed, you are left with this -

At this point I had to take the cream headlining back to my house and use it as a template to cut some holes in the M Sport one - Which I was quite nervous about!

Re-fitting wasn't too tricky, just the reverse really.

And the reason for cutting into it, had to make some holes for the rear blind mounts.

I'm just waiting to order a few little bits of trim from BMW and source some A Pillar trims and then it will all be complete. I've taken the Rear Blind mounts off and will have them powderocoated along with a few other bits.

Re-fitted my outside temp sensor. No more -37!

Comment

• Good work as usual, man!

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

• Picked up an interior for a friends Touring today. We decided to go halves on it because I wanted the headlining - Which meant I got the A Pillar trims I was looking for.

This headlining is a little different to the one I just fitted as it includes an extra tweeter in the ceiling as part of the "Proffesional Hi-fi System". It needs re-gluing, but apart from that it's not bad! It also has the OEM holes for the rear blind which is handy, but a bit annoying as I literally cut into a mint M Sport headlining last week!

I just need the two speakers that go in the door cards and then I'll essentially have retrofitted the "10 speaker upgrade"

Comment

• So, I take it the other one will be going into the red car once you've reglued the fabric?

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
                                So, I take it the other one will be going into the red car once you've reglued the fabric?
                                Yes, hopefully! I have so many headlining's now

Got a nice wee delivery through the door the other day. A little splitter extension, which looks like this on Wilz's Coupe.

I took one of the Throwing Stars over to the garage and was mucking around with the fitment, lost some poke and got it a bit lower. Scared of hitting the arch, so I've just ordered some stiffer springs from BC.

No pics, because it started to snow! So I put the car back in the garage and completed a wee job that's been bugging me for weeks.

Annnnnnd I'm still looking for these. Black A Pillar trims for a saloon or Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X