How much fender clearance is needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much fender clearance is needed?

I'm trying to fit 17 x 8" +35 with a 205/40 on a 1990 Toyota Camry.

I've rolled the rear wheel well lips hard so they are completely flat from the 9 to 3 o'clock positions. I have BC Racing coilovers on it too. I need to add a spacer otherwise the rim lip touched the coil spring. If I put a 5mm spacer on I have about 3/16" clearance from the back rim lip to coil spring, and 3/16" clearance from the outer rim lip to wheel well lip when the wheel is full tuck. It will only be fully tucked when cornering hard or hitting a large dip in the road and my suspension hits the bump stops. At ride height there is about 1/2" clearance between the tire sidewall and the wheel well lip. The tires aren't technically stretched, but the side walls do angle in and the rim lip sticks out a hair more than the lip protector on the tire sidewall.

I'm not worried about sidewall flex with this setup. There must be a little flex on the wheel, wheel bearings, suspension.

What is the minimum amount of clearance I need front and back so nothing scraps when cornering hard and flexing everything? This question will affect if I get a wider spacer, how long my wheel lug studs need to be and if I need to pull the rear wheel wells with a phone book.

A picture speaks a thousand words so although you have gone into great detail, a photo really would help a lot more.

Comment

Full tuck

Full tuck

Comment

Originally posted by Lowyota View Post
        I'm not worried about sidewall flex with this setup. There must be a little flex on the wheel, wheel bearings, suspension.
        Maybe 1mm at most. I wouldn't even factor this in. If it clears while static, it will clear in motion with lateral loads.

Comment

Working...
        X