Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about tucking/shaving the engine bay on an old Mercedes (W124, W201, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about tucking/shaving the engine bay on an old Mercedes (W124, W201, etc.)

Hello,
    Since Mercedes forums are generally not much help on subjects such as this, I am curious if anyone on here has experience with shaving a W124 or W201 engine bay.

I am specifically interested in the best way to remove the various brackets, such as the one that the ABS module sits on.
    Unlike other cars I am familiar with which have openly visible spot welds securing brackets inside the engine bay, the ones in the Mercedes seem to have some sort of goop/glue/liquid weld stuff around the base.

For example, here is a picture of the ABS bracket (with the fusebox on it) in a 190E and the horn bracket to the right of it.

Is there any convenient trick to removing these brackets? Can they just be pulled out? There were two support bars on the underside of the hood that were attached in a similar fashion and I was able to just slowly rip them off by hand.
    Or will they need to be cut out somehow?

I mainly ask because I would like to avoid drilling any unnecessary holes or making any accidental cuts in the surrounding material if possible.
    Thank you for any advice.
    Last edited by Matej; 03-03-2016, 01:48 AM.
Working...
X