HRE 526 - One wheel different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRE 526 - One wheel different?

I bought some old HRE 526 wheels and upon further inspecting them I noticed one is slightly different than the other 3.

Maybe it was replaced with a different center because one got damaged and HRE had slightly changed their casting?

Also I'm not sure what the serial number system was on the early HRE cast-center wheels like this, all 4 wheels are punched with a serial on a spoke, 3 the same one different. The one that is different also has a 525 cast into it.

Here are the wheels in question:

This is an image I found of the original catalog. I believe the guy said the catalog was from 1996:

Note that just inside the bolts the edge on the singular different wheel has a bigger radius on that one edge.
    3-the-same:

1-different:

Here is the inside that shows the markings.
    3-the-same:

1-different:

Aside from that slight radius and the markings on the back it is exactly the same as the rest.

I guess I'm curious if anyone knows much about old HRE wheels and how old cast wheels were made, such as why they maybe changed the casting at some point rather than keeping it exactly the same?

For all I know they could be fake (although no matter what they are going on my car because they are bad ass).

One is the 525 and the other 3 are 526. Front mounted the face to "match"?
    Last edited by zoo; 06-02-2015, 02:47 PM.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Wouldn't the taper on that edge of the 525 not allow it to sit flush if it was mounted behind the barrel's bolt ring?

I would imagine a 525 would have a flat ring around the front edge to mate up to the barrel without leaving a gap.

Comment

Found a pic of a 525 face:

Comment

Do we know for sure that all 525s were reverse-mounted from the factory? A cursory Google Images search shows a few face-mounted sets that the owners are calling 525s. The later versions of the 525s (with the inset bolt circle) are easier to find face-mounted, but there seem to be some of the old style in there as well.

Comment

Maybe it started out as the 525 casting that was not finished? The difference is hard to notice

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's like the situation with Futuras, where there are slightly different faces depending upon how they were mounted from the factory, but they're all called Futuras.

Comment

Also possible that they changed suppliers midway through a production run.

Comment

Those are all very good points.

After a bit more examination of images of 526 wheels on google, it looks like there is quite a few subtle variations.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier of lips/barrels that step up an inch. As in 17" center and 18" barrel?

After seeing this picture I really want some wicked lips like this:

Comment

I found 16" - 18" lips/barrels. I think I'll contact them to see if they can do custom 17" - 18"

http://spinfab.bigcartel.com/product...ves-pair-16-18

Comment

18" double step is a standard size:

You can buy direct from AMC for 70% over list, or someone like Spinfab, E-Wheelworks, or Wheelflip can provide them.

Comment

Awesome thanks!

Comment

Interesting. Well I recently picked up a set of 525s and can tell you that they're sandwich mounted. I'm in the process of disassembling them so I'll take some pictures for you.
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                            Interesting. Well I recently picked up a set of 525s .
                            What is the lug pattern? Want to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by danbarnett123 View Post
                              What is the lug pattern? Want to sell?
                              They are 5x120.65 17x9.5 ET52.

Maybe for sale.
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X