What does "Stanced" mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "Stanced" mean to you?

Thought I would start a thread since there seem to be multiple opinions.

IMO, Low is number 1 (coilovers, air, cut springs) and at the very least flush wheels(don't have to be rare/expensive but it definitely takes it to another level) with a minimum mild stretch. What do you guys think?

no more than 1 finger wheel gap
    wheels within 5mm of fenders
    mild stretch
    no 20" wheels on small cars or something stupid

thats the minimum for me, obviously lower and wider is better.
    1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
    Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

i think a car is stanced when:

-strech tires
      -unique style
      -its gotta scrape (unless your on airr...but still haha)
      -flushness

Comment

stance =

not equal to

IE if you hit a bump, and your fender says fuck you, thats not stance. That is buying wheels too low offset/wide for your car, and trying to look cool. if you cannot have full suspension travel even slammed, then you arent in the category
        Disclaimer:
        I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post
          If you cannot have full suspension travel even slammed, then you arent in the category
          This is impossible in some cars such as MK4 VWs if you're pushing the offsets lower or wheels wider bc of the suspension design. Solid rear beam = wheel travel straight up and down, unlike an IRS which tucks in as the suspension compresses, so at some point rubbing will happen even with the best offsets, widths, tire sizes, etc.

Stance is relevant to every car. There's no set definition of good or bad stance as it really depends on each car and its wheel/tire choice and suspension setup. You don't have to be the lowest to have stance nor do you need to have the widest wheels. It's a matter of how everything flows together.

As a sidenote, I **** when people use stance as a verb. It's a damn adjective

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
          Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Nah man, iev seen PLENTY of mk4s with no poke, that are awesome.

Again, if the fender is going to get crushed, because you thought poking was cool. its not stance, its poke. stance is when its still usable. when you hit that bump, your wheel can travel...not into your fender.

If you are pushing the offsets lower then flush, then you are just going mexiflush. flush is flush is flush. i dunno when or why poke started being the in thing. it will pass.
            Disclaimer:
            I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

If you are pushing the offsets lower then flush, then you are just going mexiflush. flush is flush is flush. i dunno when or why poke started being the in thing. it will pass.
              Flush isn't a requirement of stance...end of story. It's a genre of stance that just happens to be made popular recently by the hellaflush/jdm crowd. Poke is just as much a type of (good) stance as flush is. Just look at the past years of VW's where stance has been present for quite a while. Any of the stance threads are riddled with well executed poke and quality stances. Flush is not the be-all-end-all of stance.

Trying to narrow stance down to just having flush-stance just seems silly. There are a bunch of respectable forms of stance from poke, to flush, to tuck, etc. As long as your paying attention to fitment, ride height, wheel specs, and the overall way your car sits....you're trying to achieve a stance.

Comment

Again, if the fender is going to get crushed, because you thought poking was cool. its not stance, its poke. stance is when its still usable. when you hit that bump, your wheel can travel...not into your fender.

I believe stance does not fall under one category. Pretty sure there is no set guidelines as to what is and isnt stance. Low and flush are just key ingredients, you then add your own style and think for yourself (not follow sheep) to create stance.

I have seen many cars with poke that i consider stanced, because stance is about the way the car looks and sits as a whole. Which aaron pretty much already said. You cant look at a side on pic of the top of a wheel arch and judge if the car is stanced.

Like i said, you need to see the car as a whole. Everything is a factor when it comes to stance...
                Originally posted by anth
                Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

What Rally said :P
                  Originally posted by anth
                  Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Well tuck vs poke is a whole other discussion to have

Poke isn't a new thing, it's been done for years and years. I just don't like when someone tries to say there's only one correct way to get a good stance on a car bc that just isn't the case.

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                    I believe stance does not fall under one category. Pretty sure there is no set guidelines as to what is and isnt stance. Low and flush are just key ingredients, you then add your own style and think for yourself (not follow sheep) to create stance.

I have seen many cars with poke that i consider stanced, because stance is about the way the car looks and sits as a whole. Which aaron pretty much already said. You cant look at a side on pic of the top of a wheel arch and judge if the car is stanced.

Like i said, you need to see the car as a whole. Everything is a factor when it comes to stance...
                    This is very well said. Also, a car can have good stance even if it's not that low, it's just about how everything flows and fits together

I agree 100% with what Rally said as well

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                    Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Originally posted by omarsxb951 View Post
                      Thought I would start a thread since there seem to be multiple opinions.

IMO, Low is number 1 (coilovers, air, cut springs) and at the very least flush wheels(don't have to be rare/expensive but it definitely takes it to another level) with a minimum mild stretch. What do you guys think?
                      I like this one here, well put for sure! I was a little down after seeing some of the rides on here and the wheels they roll on! lol. I tried to see if I could hang but I cannot bring myself to it lol.
                      sigpic

Euro-O-So-Low

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post

This.

There is NO set "stance" for a car. Stance does not automatically = low, wide, stretched, etc. It has to work for the car as a WHOLE, regardless of those factors. Some cars look better higher with bigger tires and narrower wheels, some don't. That's the whole point of stance, is for it to work with the car TOGETHER. Anything and everything on the car is a factor of its overall "stance."
                        Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                        if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
                        Originally posted by Jedidiah
                        he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

stance is like my penis, looks really hard, doesnt perform very well

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
                            stance is like my penis, looks really hard, doesnt perform very well
                            I'm sorry.
                            Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                            if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
                            Originally posted by Jedidiah
                            he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

no.

Poke is not a fad, It dates back to german TUV laws along time ago in germany. This isnt just people pushing there wheels out in the past 3 or 4 years.

You may prefer flushness, as do i, but that doesnt make one stance and the other not.

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X