Ericshell's Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ericshell's Timeline

I've been on this site for over a few years now so I figured I should make a little timeline. I'll be updating this periodically, or at least trying my best to.

I bulk uploaded these with imgur, but the shots with my watermark can be found on my Flickr for their full resolutions.

Also, for those of you that enjoy it, feel free to follow me on Instagram.

Anyways, my father bought it brand new in 2002 and when I got my license I took a loan out and bought it from him in 2007 or so. I finally paid it off in 2010 (sophomore year in college) and up until this point I had only done simple things to it. Typical bolts ons, coils, c5s, etc. I'll skip over those years quickly, because they are pretty uneventful.

Before I discovered these forums. Thank god it happened when it did. I can't believe I bought those tails and thought they were cool for so long. Oh well.

Then coils happened. ST's. They were nice, until everything was taken out and I spun them all the way down. They didn't go very low at all. Now for the stupid cheater driveway shot.

By this time they were all way way down and I sold the Aristos and put together a set of C5's. Got rid of the horrible tails, got a nice set of all reds, and through in a the color-matched side markers, and wolfsburg repeaters.

Then I traded my c5's plus cash with i3rent for these SSR Decolte GP0's and I am pretty sure this was all the way spun down at this point.

Now is when things began to get good. I saved up for air as soon as I paid the car off. This was tough to do in college. many meals were skipped and I cut corners on everything I could. It sucked during that period, but it was really worth it. Andrew and SteveO at ORT (Open Road Tuning) get me setup with Bagyards and V1. There was nobody in my area on bags at this point and I didn't have the funds, tools or experience to do it by myself. I met Jeremyz on here and he offered to come down and help me install it. Having never met him before, he spent 3 days at my house helping me install it and eventually we got it all worked out. Everything didn't go as planned, mostly because I was skipping on a lot of things I really should not have been, but it was a great and simple system to learn on. It had its hiccups, as every setup does, but after a few days of driving around and trouble shooting small things, it was perfect. It wasn't a pretty temporary setup, but it did the job.

Now the results. Jawnsense was my neighbor and always had the tools and knowledge to help out. I believe this was after we notched my frame and we did all the other small things to get lower.

Jawnsense and I at his place.

Then it was time to do my trunk setup the way I really wanted to. On spring break from school, I decided I would give it a go on my own. After working with my first setup and doing all my research, and finally buying the proper pieces, I gave it my best shot.

Basic floor plan with

My "non-bulkhead idea" and tank that I painted

I did mess up a few times

And all done! Of course I skipped over all the boring shots of this process.

And at H20 2011

Then I decided that I no longer wanted my winter wheels (they were stupid looking sport editions) and I traded for some 19 inch RS6 reps. The fitment on the rears were insane. The fender sat on the face.

I've always disliked all black looks, so I decided to paint the faces silver over my winter break.

easily my favorite shot with these wheels. Here I moved up to using a wink mirror, and side mirror deletes. I also got Euro R32 tails, and ditched the all reds.

I don't know why, but I've always liked these shots of the snowpocolypse.

As spring was approaching, I decided that it was time to get rid of the SSR's

I sold them and bought a set of BW Motorsport 3.6's/ Kinesis 3.

By this point I had almost all of the motorwork done, as far as the basics go. Unitronic stage 2 tune, intake, downpipe, blah blah blah. I also added rear camber shims. These rears were tricky to try and fit, and I was able to get them in quite a bit from where they were sitting originally, but I think these shots show the fitment the best.

Added a quick release because the chrome was peeling a bit on these wheels and when I aired out on them, it caused them to leak on the drivers side front.

I then traded the 3.6's for a set of Artec Type P's, and I don't think I will ever be getting rid of these wheels.

I photoshopped a little mockup of where I wanted to be by 2014 a little over a year ago at this point.

I then sold the RS6's and picked up a set of 22 spokes. Here is when I got the IDF suspension parts added to my car. Subframe, control arms, and drop plates. These things literally made my car feel brand new Those guys are exrtremely nice and very talented. I highly recommend using their products.

Then summer was back, and this is how the Artecs fit after IDF. At this point I also did the full N249, EVAP, PCV, SAI Delete and had the top end rebuilt by cbtuning.

Then I moved to California.

I realize this post got a little nostalgic, but that's because I miss all you guys back on the east coast that I've known for years. My area of CA (Central Coast) is nowhere near as populated "car scene wise" as the east was. It is also sad to say that as of the beginning of next week it will officially be a year since I posted a legitimate video. Between moving across the country, starting my job and graduating college, I haven't really had the right amount of time to do another one. Plus, I don't know of many car people in my area.

As far as my car goes, I would've been right on schedule with my car. When I shipped it out here, it came with a slew of new marks, and ripped off front bumper. I also bought a shaved trunk, hood, fenders, and a badgeless grill, but Greyhound lost the fenders and grill, destroyed the trunk, and got me the hood with minor imperfections. It's been two months and I don't think they will be giving me any money back, so learn from my mistake. Luck has not been on my side these past few months, but as soon as I can get that taken car of, pull my rear fenders a bit, and bump out my inner fender well in the front to get my fronts a little lower I plan on doing a video of this thing. Plus I would really like to showcase IDF's products because they really deserve some more recognition for all this great work they are doing.

As some of you know I was planning on selling the car. All this bad luck didn't help, but now they I have a better understanding of all these crazy CA laws, and realizing how much my school loan payments are, I am deciding to keep it and slowly fix all the imperfections.

Update Video

Preparing for Cali from eric shell on Vimeo.

Last edited by e.shell; 11-06-2013, 10:09 PM.
    Insta | Dev

I've been following your videos for a while. Man.....you got some good camera work. Makes me jelly. Your selection of wheels are amazing as well. Keep it up man!
    "Blessed are they, the lowly ones"

Comment

In a world where most Mk4's blend in, somehow yours never really did. It was always way cool to me. The fact that your videos/photography is phenomenal probably didn't hurt. lol

Love it Eric, so glad you decided on moving forward with this thing.
      Originally posted by electricalbox
      12 inches of goodness!

Comment

cool progression, glad you're keeping a positive attitude about the car

Comment

Cool timeline, I'll always have a soft spot for MKIV's. These cars are what got me interested in this whole culture, and I've owned a handful of them. I'm determined to own an R32 again someday, I owned one for about 3 months and had to let it go unfortunately. I really like most of your wheel choices, definitely cool. Such a bummer to hear about Greyhound fucking you, all of those parts would've been great additions. Can't beat a properly shaved MKIV haha.

My shop is right around the corner from your work. If it helps you take care of some of your problems, you're welcome to come use my lift and tools, I'd like to see the car in person someday as well. Hope things start looking up man! The car scene definitely sucks here...

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Love it bro

Comment

Awesome I've always loved this thing, even when I was on vwvortex haha

Comment

Glad you are keeping it.

Comment

Awesome man! Been wondering why there hasn't been any videos but I guess it makes sense now with the move. Good luck!

Comment

Awesome work man, love it! That last picture is on point too; the Porsche and Merc wheels in earlier stages look great!
                    1975 BMW 2002 : : 1977 BMW 320i : : 1983 BMW 320i

Comment

Glad to see you keeping it. Always enjoyed seeing your car around Nazareth.

Comment

Looks really nice
                        At first i thought i was low. I was then introduced to stanceworks. My life has not been the same since.

I am Jbigs.

Comment

The Artecs look great my friend, I'm sure we will bump into each other sooner than later. Congrats on the move out here

Comment

Working...
                          X