Cant do alignment on lowered cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant do alignment on lowered cars?

So I went in today to try to align my lowered e28 and was rejected by the first place cause they couldnt get it onto their ramps and the second place said that its basically impossible to do alignment on cause there's no room to adjust camber cause wheel is sitting basically flush with the fenders. So can you not align cars once you basically slam them or whats up, has anyone had this problem? Or am I supposed to fit the stock wheels on it and do the alignment and then fit the custom ones after?

if anything, just zero the toe. if you cant get any more positive camber from where it is at the moment, then you need the negative camber anyway to clear the fenders
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

meaning I cant do anything about it? and cant do anything to save tire wear? It also seems like the car pulls alittle to the right and my steering wheel is off just a tad

Comment

Misaligned toe can do that and is a large cause of uneven tire wear
        Originally posted by Kielan
        I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Thanks. I'll try going to the shop again and just tell them to do the toe. Would you recommend doing it with the custom wheels on or just throw on some normal stock bottlecaps wheels? Or will the measurments be inaccurate and off with the different wheels? Reason Im asking is cause the second place said my car was too low anyways and I think if I have my stock wheels on the car might just sit alittle higher to clear their ramps ha

Comment

I'd put stock wheels on anyways since the heads they attach to perform the alignment are held on by clamping the lip of the wheel.

And anyways, the only setting you can adjust on your e28 is front toe, the rear isn't adjustable. If the shop says they can't align it, it's just because they don't want to. Find a shop that has an in-ground rack that isn't a bunch of bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
              If the shop says they can't align it, it's just because they don't want to. Find a shop that has an in-ground rack that isn't a bunch of bitches.
              Bingo. Only place around my area with an in-ground rack, that I'm aware of, is NTB.

Comment

learn to do your own
                this is for a VW rabbit but the Idea will transfer over to most cars.
                doing it for the internet and the scene kids.

Comment

If you put back on the standard wheels the geometry will be different to your custom set up so get them to do it with your daily wheels on

Toe is a big killer to tires, possibly more than camber wear....at least in non-slammed cars

Make sure to go somewhere with clip on gauges with full 4WA computerised equipment and a low loading ramp
                  /O O==[][]==O O\
                  --------------------------

Comment

If the shop says they can't align it, it's just because they don't want to.
                    yep. just shop around and find someone who's comfortable with lowered cars.

while we're on the subject, i recently had an alignment and the guy was reluctant to set my toe to zero (though he's done it on my other car before). he seemed to think a small amount of toe would extend tire wear. we ended up with -2* camber -.25 toe in front and -3* camber -.15 toe in rear. anyone think that i should go back for zero toe?
                    025garage

Comment

Originally posted by TheRev View Post
                      If you put back on the standard wheels the geometry will be different to your custom set up so get them to do it with your daily wheels on
                      The geometry of the suspension has nothing to do with what wheels are mounted to it. The only thing that will change is track width, which doesn't matter in an alignment.
                      Originally posted by motocaddy View Post
                      while we're on the subject, i recently had an alignment and the guy was reluctant to set my toe to zero (though he's done it on my other car before). he seemed to think a small amount of toe would extend tire wear. we ended up with -2* camber -.25 toe in front and -3* camber -.15 toe in rear. anyone think that i should go back for zero toe?
                      Slight amounts of toe are usually there to compensate for soft factory bushings. Once the car starts moving, the wheels pull towards the back of the car slightly and can make the wheels toe-out if your toe is set to zero while static. Slight amounts of toe-in also help with high speed tracking and handling.

A bit of toe-in isn't going to kill your tires as much as people say it will either. Before I made the rear adjustable in my e30 it had .75 degrees of toe-in and 4.25 degrees of camber and I could still get 10k out of a set of performance tires.

Comment

The geometry of the suspension has nothing to do with what wheels are mounted to it. The only thing that will change is track width, which doesn't matter in an alignment.

Slight amounts of toe are usually there to compensate for soft factory bushings. Once the car starts moving, the wheels pull towards the back of the car slightly and can make the wheels toe-out if your toe is set to zero while static. Slight amounts of toe-in also help with high speed tracking and handling.

A bit of toe-in isn't going to kill your tires as much as people say it will either. Before I made the rear adjustable in my e30 it had .75 degrees of toe-in and 4.25 degrees of camber and I could still get 10k out of a set of performance tires.
                        byron is 100% right.

i have some toe in out back because the rear wheels toe out under load.

power and bushings play a big part in how much toe in you should set. When my car still had the tiny M44 and original bushings i was alot closer to 0 than i am now with 350whp. im still on stock bushings so when everything gets stiffened up i will need less toe in

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

awesome, Byron and JC! exactly what I wanted to know. also since i'm planning on going big power and lots of poly in the future, this info is especially helpful!
                          025garage

Comment

Originally posted by Minty_Fresh View Post
                            learn to do your own
                            this is for a VW rabbit but the Idea will transfer over to most cars.
                            http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4746427
                            I second this. I learned how to do the string alignment and set my toe to zero. I've saved my tires a ton of wear and my wallet some green.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

Damn, that Link is great!

Does anybody know if toe changes when adjusting coils? I had an alignment done by a shop that aligns a lot of racecars for Nürburgring after i put the coils in. I assume that alignment job was done more than proper. Of course i lowered the car more after a few weeks...
                              slamburglars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X