Rial Imola 2 piece old school wheel restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rial Imola 2 piece old school wheel restoration

Last edited by Pyropiggy2.5; 02-12-2012, 11:52 PM.

start by stripping the lips, thats what im gonna do on my super rs'.. then you can either wet-sand the machining grooves out, or use a caswell kit for polishing on a bench grinder or angle grinder to polish the lips..

Comment

There's a clear made by VHT that Caswell recommends. No experience with it, however I have seen some people clear powdercoat afterwards. It does dull it a bit, but at least it's relatively maintenance free.

Comment

Looks ok, but you should have hit it with 2000 and then rubbing compound a couple times, and then polish. Doing those steps would have given you a way better shine.

Comment

I think it looks great with the satiny finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyropiggy2.5
            Rear should fit well with a 235/35/18, the fender lips are already trimmed

Let me know what you guys think, I know it's not baller or anything, just want it to look clean
            i absolutely love these wheels! never seen them before and really like the design! they're gonna look great once refinished.

with that said...i think you are way off on your tire sizes. here's my wife's car. 18x8 et20 w/ 205/40 and 18x9 et32 w/215/40. considering that the altima is similar in size to and looks to have even bigger fenderwells than my wife's jetta, i really think you should go with the same size tires as hers.

025garage

Comment

Originally posted by darksideracer69 View Post
              Looks ok, but you should have hit it with 2000 and then rubbing compound a couple times, and then polish. Doing those steps would have given you a way better shine.
              this, too. you stopped polishing too early, as you really didn't get them shiny. i can still see tons of scratches in the finish. no way you can get out the 1000 grit scratches with hand applied mothers. you need to hit them with a polishing wheel and various polishing compounds. mothers is just for cleaning and maintenance polishing. also, i strongly recommend against clear coating lips. you obviously can't polish them up once cleared and it makes repairs a huge PITA.
              025garage

Comment

Originally posted by motocaddy View Post
                i absolutely love these wheels! never seen them before and really like the design! they're gonna look great once refinished.

with that said...i think you are way off on your tire sizes. here's my wife's car. 18x8 et20 w/ 205/40 and 18x9 et32 w/215/40. considering that the altima is similar in size to and looks to have even bigger fenderwells than my wife's jetta, i really think you should go with the same size tires as hers.
                Thanks! I was lucky to find these in 114.3!

I think the Jetta and Altima have quite different wheels wells though.

Right now I have 18x9 +30 in the rear, running a fat as hell 245/45/18 tire, and it still tucks under the fender.

That's why I think a 8mm decrease in offset can be compensated by a 10mm decrease in tire width as well as 10mm decrease in profile. The Altima is a bit larger I think

Comment

Originally posted by Pyropiggy2.5 View Post
                  I think the Jetta and Altima have quite different wheels wells though.

Right now I have 18x9 +30 in the rear, running a fat as hell 245/45/18 tire, and it still tucks under the fender.

That's why I think a 8mm decrease in offset can be compensated by a 10mm decrease in tire width as well as 10mm decrease in profile. The Altima is a bit larger I think
                  i was assuming you were going to drop it more. this is stanceworks, you know. the sizes you have/are considering are not gonna allow stance. you're still way off on your tire sizes. a 235/35 does not have a 10mm smaller profile than a 245/45. that second number is a percentage of the width, not a measurement. in this case, the 235/35 will have a 30mm smaller profile than your current tires. at your current height, that's gonna look silly.
                  025garage

Comment

what did you use to seal the lip/face mounting surface?

Comment

Originally posted by motocaddy View Post
                      i was assuming you were going to drop it more. this is stanceworks, you know. the sizes you have/are considering are not gonna allow stance. you're still way off on your tire sizes. a 235/35 does not have a 10mm smaller profile than a 245/45. that second number is a percentage of the width, not a measurement. in this case, the 235/35 will have a 30mm smaller profile than your current tires. at your current height, that's gonna look silly.
                      Oh I'll drop it more , but the suggestion of 215 seemed too narrow to me, I really want to stick with 235

Comment

I got 195/40 on 9" and u want 235/35 on 8"?
                        about the rim polishing... u skipped quite alot from 300 to 1000grit, the most important steps actually, the 400 wetsand and the 600 or 800 wetsand. even if u don't want bling u should remove the ugly rough grit scratches

Comment

I actually really like that he stopped at 1000 grit...I know that's not "the norm", but I like the brushed/satin look.

Comment

Nice work. I"ve always had a thing for Altima coupes.

Side note: I have a pair of new Falken 912s 235/35/18 & 225/40/18s for sale if your interested.
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

what did you use to clean the barrels? lips are looking great
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                              X