why is camber cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its case-by-case.
    Ghetto measurements on mine show it to be about 7* and I think it looks sick as hell.

Comment

Like most said, its a delicate balance for the looks ... when your this low and this is your style, handling should not be a concern.

flickr Click for my Photostream!

Comment

Originally posted by Petis View Post
        so, by the rational in this thread,this car looks like shit?.......

btw... he has -6* in the rear. Making broad statements about a certain degree of camber looking "stupid" on any car is dumb. It all depends on the car in question.
        Post a direct rear shot, chances are it's going to be much more noticeable then and look much worse (in my opinion)

I think there's a balance for each car but too much of it isn't a good thing. Obviously it's a preference and style people like but too much doesn't do it for me

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
        Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Originally posted by ShanesG View Post
          IMHO it doesn't look good, not because of the rear camber, but because the rear is at -6 and the front appears like its 0. that looks stupid. Camber should be relatively close front and rear.(eg -4 front -6 rear) not (-2front -6 rear
          This... Camber looks great if it is relative to the front and rears.. one of the other being cambered looks out of place. It takes alot for a car to pull off being slammed with no camber and looking good imo.

As Mike said, it's a case by case basis and there seems to always be an exception to the rule.. thus creating an argument based on absolutes is kinda silly to me. General guidelines is a good thing though.

Comment

What does it mean when you can see daylight coming from under the tire?

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

i've been down with negative camber since the early days of WTCC and BTCC. Those cars sometimes had silly neg. camber dependent on the track setup.

werd

see around 4:43 at the start grid check their "stance" lol

Season review of the 1993 British Touring Car Championship: Rounds 3 and 4 - Snetterton and Donington Park
              Prime Motoring
              Detailing, Parts and Accessories

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
                I think its case-by-case.
                Ghetto measurements on mine show it to be about 7* and I think it looks sick as hell.
                I dunno. Mike, you know how much I love your car (you owe me a PM whe you get a chance, BTW), but for some reason, I just can't bring myself to like it when wheels are cambered way out. IMO, you car would have been perfect with a touch of rake and -3* or so.

I can fully understand why it's done, and in some cases, up to 5* can look good. I just have a much different taste in stance than most on here. I love low, I love flush, but cambered out just really isn't for me....

BTW, Petis... I do love the hell out of you car, excpt the camber, of course :P

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

i think its coming down to opinion... something i love about stanceworks, we seem to accept everyones.

Comment

I take my words back. It for sure depends on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ40runr View Post
                      No dude, wasn't even directed at you. Your response totally made good sense, I think it was after that post that he said that drift cars use camber so they don't have grip and then drew up a diagram of how negative camber hurts grip in a turn.

He deleted it before you saw it or I finished my post I guess.
                      Oh, my bad. Now I feel like an ass. When I read what you wrote I thought you were picking apart what I wrote. I wish I could have seen that post now. I learned about camber, toe, and all of that basic stuff through playing Gran Turismo 4. May not be the most realistic game, but you can learn the effects of this stuff by experimenting with it in a safe, virtual world. It's all about finding that sweet spot where it all comes together, whether it's for looks or for performance.
                      ///M 2.0
                      G60 POWAR... never forget

Comment

Originally posted by cobrawannabe View Post
                        I dunno. Mike, you know how much I love your car (you owe me a PM whe you get a chance, BTW), but for some reason, I just can't bring myself to like it when wheels are cambered way out. IMO, you car would have been perfect with a touch of rake and -3* or so.

I can fully understand why it's done, and in some cases, up to 5* can look good. I just have a much different taste in stance than most on here. I love low, I love flush, but cambered out just really isn't for me....

BTW, Petis... I do love the hell out of you car, excpt the camber, of course :P

The amount of camber should be the result of the wheels and body style of the car. Whatever flows the best, but in the end it really is up to the owner of the car. Imho, extreme camber looks odd, not bad, but odd.

and rake, depends on the lines of the body (but of course personal preference of the owner of the car). I like a flat even look when dumped, and if that means the rear tucks more, then so be it. Alot of cars have the rear arches lower than the front. Reverse rake is unacceptable.
                        Prime Motoring

Comment

Originally posted by Dangler View Post
                          Reverse rake is unacceptable.
                          truer words were never spoken.
                          SLAMMED GARAGE
                          slammedgarage@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dangler View Post
                            and rake, depends on the lines of the body (but of course personal preference of the owner of the car). I like a flat even look when dumped, and if that means the rear tucks more, then so be it. Alot of cars have the rear arches lower than the front. Reverse rake is unacceptable.
                            Problem is this gives the illusion of reverse rake to me so I still prefer more rake than completely even on cars with lower rear arches than fronts

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                            Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Depends on the type of car also.

I like shakotan/grachan cars, and on that sort of build I want to see CRAZY oni camber. Otherwise it just doesn't look right. If the rest of the car is ape shit bananas, you can't have like 2-3 degrees of mild camber, it would be like wearing a tie with a 10" mohawk. Doesn't work. Same with Vanning builds, Kei cars, etc.

Not so much on other shit. Tons of camber on an S2000 looks kind of goofy, IMO. It can be pulled off if the rest of the car is super aggressive, but it's more of a reach.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/u...file/

Comment

Originally posted by aar0n. View Post
                                Problem is this gives the illusion of reverse rake to me so I still prefer more rake than completely even on cars with lower rear arches than fronts
                                I see your point, but when i look at a car, i pay more attention to the body in relation to the ground, not to much the wheels in relation to the body.

I've always been a fan of '60 Continentals, chopped Mercury's, Old school Caddy's....i guess thats why i like the even low slung look with the rears tucked more than the fronts.

But if a car's stance is sagging in the rear like an old ford explorer with the rear oem bags blown, then thats just wrong.

With the bag fully empty on my car the rear sags. Someone told me to put bump stops to keep it from sagging(i find this unnecessary)...i simply just leave enough air in the rear bags to keep it level.

and one more thing....big fan of you car man!
                                Prime Motoring

Comment

Working...
                                X