Polishing wheels with tires on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing wheels with tires on?

I'm currently working on polishing a set of style 5's for my e46 but I have a problem. They're my only set of wheels so I can't disassemble them to do so.

The clear on these are super thick so I was debating on using aircraft stripper, but I'm guessing that this will have an undesired effect if I get it on the tires, so I was going to mask them up with painter's tape and possibly index cards.

I've read through the DIY at the top of this thread but everyone breaks their wheels apart to refinish them and unfortunately I don't have that option. I'm looking for any tips, trick or advice related to doing this WITH THE WHEELS ASSEMBLED.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think the masking tape or the cards would hold up very well to the stripper. Can you pop the bead on the tires at all? That would give a little distance between the tires and the lip.
    1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
    1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

This might sound a bit silly and like quite a bit of extra work, but what about driving around on the spare and refinishing one wheel at a time(tyre off and disassembled)?

Comment

Originally posted by Randomofodication View Post
        I don't think the masking tape or the cards would hold up very well to the stripper. Can you pop the bead on the tires at all? That would give a little distance between the tires and the lip.

Unfortunately I cannot. Then I'd have a stuck car with a flat tire. Lol

Using the spare sounds a little ghetto, but it's a good idea!

Comment

Someone else needs to chime in here, but since Style 5's are two-piece (lip/barrel and face), can't you just unbolt the face from the barrel/lip and polish that way?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC I saw this done once with Style 5's (maybe LM's).
          HAI GUISE

Comment

Originally posted by Jamxx View Post
            Someone else needs to chime in here, but since Style 5's are two-piece (lip/barrel and face), can't you just unbolt the face from the barrel/lip and polish that way?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC I saw this done once with Style 5's (maybe LM's).
            Yep that could be done, still have the problem of not wrecking the tire howeverz.
            1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
            1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

Forget about the tires for a second. How are you going to do any half decent polishing job with the hardware still in?

Look up foil tape for masking the tires. That should be tough enough to stand up to stripper.

Comment

you need to disassemble the wheels if you want to strip those lips of the clear. the hardware is also painted so they'd be toast if you tried to strip the lips. and paint stripper didn't do much to my tire on my spare when i refinished my wheels.

just get everything you need together (stripper, sandpaper, polish) before you start. it took me about 40 hours to sand down my lips before polishing, so plan ahead.

PS: I took some other guy's advice and used Jasco, and it worked wonders on the clear and took it right off in like 15 minutes (each wheel) with some scotch brite pads
                Last edited by willlarney; 12-18-2013, 04:24 AM.
                instagram: willlarney
                big dumb e39 build

Comment

Buy some beater wheels on CL, I'm sure you can find some tire rack specials for cheap.
                  Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

borrow a set of wheels or buy something cheap to hold you over temporarily. Taking shortcuts and not doing the job right by disassembling and taking the tires off will likely add time, headache, and final product will 100% not be as good...
                    sigpic
                    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Look up foil tape for masking the tires. That should be tough enough to stand up to stripper.

Comment

Working...
                      X