17x11 + 215/40 is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17x11 + 215/40 is it possible?

Hi guys, i'm still wondering is 215/40 too much for 17x11J wheel and how does it actually look like.

I'm considering to run 9,5x17 and 11x17 wheels this spring and obviously i'll have to run 215/40 and 245/35, but the 245/35 are quite rare (almost as 225/40 are) here and i was thinking for some alternatives...
    Last edited by projektzwo; 03-31-2013, 02:46 PM.

flickr

225.45 11j - http://tyrestretch.com/11_225_45_R17/
    i run a 215 40 on a 10j and its the most stretch id dare go with.
    Float like a Cadillac, Sting like a Beemer!
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24326

Comment

Definitely too much, imho.

Might be technically possible but it'll look like poop.

If you want those 245/35s you speak of, I can ship you a set from Germany, they're easily available here.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

I run a 215/40 on my 10s and its about at its limit. With a previous set of tires it was actually past it and wouldn't bead all the way on on the barrel (although I still drove on it). I would recommend going with something a tad wider such as the 245/35 if for no reason other than matching the stretch front to rear.
        Last edited by Moose; 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

yep, i was running 215/35 on 10's too and it was on the edge...

however i'll go for 245/35, there is no way to match front and rear stretch with the 40 profile tires...

@Dr.AK - can you offer me on PM please, i'm interested in used tires too.

and almost forgot - is there any tires that are 215 but looks most like 225 ?

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post

however i'll go for 245/35, there is no way to match front and rear stretch with the 40 profile tires...

ive heard dunlops usually run big, my kumhos look like they do too but it could just be because the sidewalls are so square

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss View Post
              ive heard dunlops usually run big, my kumhos look like they do too but it could just be because the sidewalls are so square
              exactly my thoughts... so i wouldn't risk it.

the main problem is that i need really aggressive stretch to fit the wheels without any (or just slight) fender work, probably the best option is 225/40 but this size is hard to find even in Europe, what about my country...

flickr

Comment

ya, i wouldnt go 215/40 even on a 10j

my friend austin did, and it worked but it didnt last more than 50 miles before it debeaded

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Originally posted by projektzwo View Post

A 245/35 has essentially the same sidewall height as a 215/40 (within a couple percent), the 40 and 35 represent a ratio not a constant 215/40 and 245/35 are your best bet.

Comment

215 works perfect on 11j
                    got 205 on 10j, no probs at all

Comment

Originally posted by ooSoo View Post
                      215 works perfect on 11j
                      got 205 on 10j, no probs at all
                      Go away noob.

I try and keep a general rule of about 25-30mm of stretch.

Like my rears on my E30 M3 were 225/35 on a 10" wide wheel and I loved it. In the same token 11" = 280mm so either a 245/35 or a 255 would look good and not too rediculous
                      Real name is James

Comment

You wont! But I got a 225 on an 11" and that wasnt too hard what wheels did you get now?
                        Follow on IG
                        amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                        Vintage AME Wheels
                        RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                        W115 & W123

Comment

Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore View Post
                          You wont! But I got a 225 on an 11" and that wasnt too hard what wheels did you get now?
                          i regret that i sold my old set of AMG's I, but i have the opportunity to get another one (different specs), so now i'm waiting for my new lips and so on...

flickr

Comment

Here's a swedish volvo v40 with 215/40 on 16x11", gives you a hint!

This website is for sale! oijoij-society.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, oijoij-society.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                            Instagram: tthisischris

Comment

Originally posted by justlikechuck View Post
                              Here's a swedish volvo v40 with 215/40 on 16x11", gives you a hint!

http://oijoij-society.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8743
                              thanks, some time ago i was wondering about the wheel specs of this Volvo...

actually on the 16's doesn't look that bad, but i'm not sure if the 17's will look the same way...

and is there any tires brand that are 215/40 but looks more like 225/40, compared to other 215's ???

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X