Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codename: Arial Blau

1988 528i - Black & tan interior

First things first. I knew when I bought the car that the interior was going to be in rough shape so I already sorta had a game plan together. When it arrived, I was shocked to see that while there was the normal wear & tear on the bolsters of the drivers seat it really wasn't in bad condition other than being in desperate need of a good cleaning & steam/shampoo.

Monday 9/19
    Driver side

Driver Seat

Driver rear

Passenger rear

All the door cards are in the same condition which is pretty great. I need to track down some plastic door handle trip trim pieces but nothing alarming.

Seats out

[img width=375 height=500]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6171470220_9d8143f9e7.jpg[/img]

More filth

Carpet gone. Again although there is a ton of cleaning that needs to be done, after pulling the carpet I was very happy to see no evidence of any structural damage, rust, fabrication or paint work.

Getting the carpet out was no easy task at first. In these cars the carpet is an entire one piece shell with about 2"-3" padded bottom help sound dampening. On top of that this one piece is placed up the fire wall, under the ac blower & held in one specific location by 2 screws under the hood that also hold heater lines in place. After browsing some forums, the most recommended process was cutting it out in areas that are never seen. :-\. So after finally getting out, I headed over to the local car wash, soaked it in Purple Power & power washed the crap out of it.

Before

After 1 day of drying :thumb

Tuesday 9/20
    More fun as I spent tonight degreasing & scrubbing interior pieces.

But first lets take these Style 19 bolts

And throw them in here for some multi-tasking action. 5lb vibrating tumbler with some 40 grit media.

Some before shots before attacking with a diluted Purple Power solution & a scotch pad

After some elbow grease some great results

Oh and remember those raggedy bolts? 3 hours later and viola!

Wednesday 9/21
    Carpet is coming along nicely after more drying time

After some consideration on the direction I want to go with the interior, I've decided that I'm not a fan of the tan on the interior. While carpet isn't too difficult to find, plastic & good condition vinyl trim pieces are like gold when it comes to these cars. So instead of wasting time on a unicorn hunt, I took the advice of a friend. After some research I found what I needed to proceed. It took a little prep work with a rougher scotch pad, a little self etching adhesive & some patience but I couldn't be happier with the results.

As you can see, it kept all the texture of the original trim & looks like nothing more than brand new OEM replacement pieces.

As I stated I was very pleased with the products used & the end result. But I'm certain that you HAVE to follow the prep process because I read a couple of horror stories of how this can go wrong. In any event there is no cracking or flaking in the vinyl paint & even in the creased areas where the trim stretches & flexes the paint was just as forgiving. :thumb

I even had time to clean up the daily before heading out to the local Wednesday night meet.
    Last edited by uvebeenrobd; 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM.
    IG:uvebeenrobd
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26
    Not much progress as of late but I did manage to get into the garage today to install some goodies that arrived last week:

NRG stub hub & 2.0 quick release with some Nardi grain

Maybe tomorrow I'll be more motivated. Too much :chug: :cheers: this weekend.

Comment

9/29
      More interior work. After looking at the M3 seats & evaluating my options, there is no way I could repair or cover up the blemishes. Luckily, a local DFW Euro member hooked me up on some S4 leathers & he was able to drop them off tonight. Thanks DFW Ben.

Bench rear fits pretty well:

The backs will need some work and since the e28 rears go sidewall to sidewall, I will have to figure out something for the fitment of the seat backs & the paneling.

The fronts were in awesome condition, just need some cleaning:

Comment

pictures deleted
        Last edited by uvebeenrobd; 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I just read this whole thing an with the way the car turned out an the story an sweat behind it, this is my favorite E28. I honestly dislike E28s strongly but this one is sooo sick.Even i appreciate everyone who helped you with this. You must be a good guy for these guys to come around for you like this.very nice car, write up, an documentation.

Comment

Everything about this is fantastic.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

love the writeup thanks for sharing

Comment

what did you use for the interior? i am doing the same kinda thing with a spray with my car and wasn't sure if maybe i was doing something wrong
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

wanna wrestle in the car??

looks great!
                  Team 16NiSS

sigpic

Comment

you sir are a scholar

Comment

This thread is the definition of putting "blood,sweat and tears" into a build. You sir deserve a :beer:
                      sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

the result is superb!

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

yes!

setup in that last pic looks awesome
                          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

nice job outside!

but IMO cream interior was pefect to that car.....

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...t=16940&page=7

Comment

Absolutely on point, looks the fucking bollocks man.

Comment

Working...
                              X