The Loss of a Friend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Loss of a Friend.

Well, I don't want to be "that" guy... the one who is too attached to a car for his own good. The one who actually cares about his car, and in a sense more than "I don't want to curb a wheel", or "don't nick my paint".... but honestly, I am that guy.

We all have cars that we consider "our baby"... and for me, that has always been my e36. I bought the e28 as a replacement for a daily driver.

I didn't know getting in to it that this e28 was going to become such a part of who I am. I changed the way I look at cars. It changed the way that people look at me. To many it was just another car on the bandwagon... and that's cool with me... but I never expected my car to become a conversation piece.... something to be argued over for pages and pages, month after month across the web. A magazine feature? Two? I had ever in my wildest dreams thought it would happen... after all, it was just a car.

Most of you know that about a year ago, I lent the car to a friend.... Back then, it was a solidly clean car, with no real flaws... until it was abruptly stopped by a semi truck, resulting in not only the A-pillar damage that you still see today, but a crushed front end that I put back together using a parts car I had at the time.

That accident was the rebirth of my car. I marked a moment in time where it went from an asset to a canvas. I had no excuse not to go "all the way" with it... and so I did. Okay, yeah, cool, I rusted a car. A lot of other people have too, and we all know that.

Rusty was more than just a hipstermobile to me though. Rusty honestly led me to some of the greatest friendships I have today... scratch that.. ALL of the friendships I maintain today have some rooting involved with this stupid car. It's done more than drive me coast-to-coast, it has never let me down during any of it. This car is a champ- and I beat the hell out of it too.

Honestly, if it wasn't for Rusty, this site wouldn't be here. It simply wouldn't exist.

I'm going on and on about stuff and haven't really given any info yet, so I'll explain it the best I can.

Ever since the accident a year ago, the front driver's side tire has worn a bit differently than the others. The clearance to the fender was a little different than before, but nothing to alarm me. After all, this car was deemed "totaled".

It wasn't until last week that I took the car to a friend's shop, and while there, and inspecting the car for the first time, we realized that the frame up there is tweaked. Hard.

I brushed it off as if it were nothing. Honestly, I didn't care in the least...
    but after close inspection, the body has been cracking a bit, and its starting to separate.

I wanted to ignore it.
    I really, really wanted to ignore it.
    Bad.

I said to myself "it's been fine all along, It'l be fine. I'll drive it until it falls apart".

A few days ago, my best friend slipped through my hands, so to speak. Gracefully sliding my way over a speed bump, shit went to hell.

I don't really know what else to say right now. I towed her home one last time. The motor comes out tomorrow- it's going to Nic and Steph for the Bavaria build. Webb is taking the suspension for his car. The wheels will go into storage until another day, down the road when I feel like a car is worthy of following up Rusty's footsteps.

I'm depressed over this. Best car I've ever owned. Hand down.
    There's a constant joke going on among friends that I owe this car for everything its done for me... and its true.

I made a video today. It's lame, but I wanted to do one last "shoot".

So here it is- Rusty, this one's for you.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3996 Read for the full story. "Rusty" 1985-2010 My first video. Shot with my 5D MKII.

video link doesnt work for me. But so sad to see it go!

Comment

Damn, RIP rusty.

This car made a huge impression on me and was the reason I joined SW.

I hope you get another project as badass as Rusty was soon. Good luck and again, RIP.

Comment

Hell yea it did damn good traveling across country. There will never be a story like this in a long time. Look at the good memoeries and not the bad. U can be like, my car was splitting in two and I drove over 1000+ miles
        '89 civic hatch 15x8 sportmaxx 501 +15 offset stolen and recovered without my wheels SOLD
        '93 civic sedan tbd
        '92 civic sedan cheviot reverse mesh

Comment

ooo man i dig this car..... RIP

"I am strangely comfortable with it"

Comment

Originally posted by loxxrider View Post
            Damn, RIP rusty.

was the reason I joined SW.

Same here...prob one of the best BMW iv seen...good luck on whatever your planning

Comment

R.i.p :/
              Porsche's

Comment

It made an amazing run though and will never be forgotten. Rusty is the shit. It looks so dope in these pics too. You should post a pic of it in every one of it's different styles in memory of her.

The one good thing that comes out of this is we get to see what m.burroughs comes out with next haha.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Really sad to see it go It lived a good, long life and everything it started will live on.

Comment

Wow man. Im at lost for words. I remember being on bimmerforums and seeing Rusty for the first time. Ever since then my views on cars has changed. I would never have thought a rusted e28 would do that. Hell, I even wrote a english paper on Rusty a few weeks ago. RIP

-Dan

Comment

Loved rusty in all his iterations. This car honestly deserves a eulogy to commemorate all the BMW popularity and publicity it's brought us over the past few months.
                      Last edited by TheJakeR; 02-05-2010, 11:31 PM.

"Auto Detailing by Jake," servicing the Southern California auto enthusiast community.

Detailing Dough --> College dues. Which leaves $____ for e36. D'oh.

Comment

here's another pic

Comment

Comment

Dude, finally. It's about time this thing was put out of it's misery.

Originally posted by Moose
                            And roof racks with random shit on it, stop that.

Comment

ROFL AHAHAHAHAHAHA Mike and I were just talking about how people would say that.

Comment

Working...
                              X