Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Ford F1 Build - IFS/IRS, bags, and burnouts

Well, burnouts someday anyway...

I know this isn't the typical 'stance' build, but the truck doesn't fit in on traditional hotrod forums, and I hoped some people here would appreciate it. This truck was my grandfather's, and it sat in the field at our farm for years up until I was about 12. After that it was traded to a friend of the family, and he started to restore it. He didn't get far before life got in the way, and it sat at his house for almost 15 years, and despite my relentless attempts to get it back he wouldn't give it up. Finally in the summer of 2014 he decided he wouldn't be able to work on the truck again due to some health issues, so he signed it over to me. Unfortunately, him and my grandfather both passed away that year, but not without knowing the truck was finally back on the farm, and with someone who wouldn't let it go ever again. My grandfather was a very practical man, and the fact he kept this truck around for years after it was useful in the hopes of fixing it up always spoke volumes to me, because somehow this truck must have been different from all the rest that were simply tools to be used and thrown away at their time. But we're not here for an existential discussion, we're here for hotrods, so let's get back to that...

My plans for the truck aren't exactly practical, but I still want to be able to daily drive it in the summer, cruise to shows near and far, put the boards on the ground when I park, and if I'm lucky still carve a corner. I probably should have started with an all new frame, but I want to keep as much original as possible, and I didn't have a whole lot left to work with. It's going to be on a narrowed Crown Vic IFS, a Lincoln MK VIII IRS, and powered by some sort of 351W backed by a TKO600. The exterior is going to look very stock, with only some subtle cosmetic changes to clean it up a little. This is a far bigger project than I've ever undertaken before, especially with the body work it's going to need, but I'm eyeball deep now and this isn't a project I'm going to give up on. Enough talk, here are some pictures to calm everyone's ADD.

This is where the old girl was for almost 15 years.

After a quick bath, and sitting next to my old turbo Ranger

Finally in my shop, and ready for the work to begin.

Started disassembly.

At this point I straightened the frame rails that were tweaked from dragging it out of the woods.

Kids, don't try this at home.

Then it was time to pull the guts out.

A little more work, and I had a paperweight

Right about then I started playing around with narrowing the Crown Vic crossmember. I cut 4.75" out of the middle, which leaves it the right width to mount an SN95 Mustang steering rack. I cut and filed it all by hand, which sucked, but the final fitment was worth the misery. I clamped it down to the bench with all thread and angle iron to keep it from warping, then cut the piece I removed from the middle up to plate it.

Then it was time to modify the factory rails to accept the new, narrowed CV parts. In hindsight, there were definitely easier ways to have done this. I thought I had more pictures, but you get the idea. The main goal here was to bring the bottom of the frame up high enough that I could lay the truck out on the running boards when it's parked.

Then I mocked the CV crossmember into place, and I was pretty stoked that everything lined up with no tweaking, filing, or screwing around.

So I slapped the control arms on to see what would happen. If anyone cares, that's a 97 BMW M3 undergoing an LS1/T56 swap in the background. A little more this forum's cup of tea, and it's going to be a fuuuuun car.

Then I laid it out for the first time, and I think it's going to look mean. I need to make some adjustable uppers for the CV setup to dial out some of the camber at ride height, but you get the idea. The Mustang rims are just for mock up, I'm probably going to run 20" Detroit Steel Wheels with some thin whitewalls. Am I doing the stance thing right??

Then I started mocking up the IRS and found out it wasn't going to play as nice as I'd hoped if my plan was still to put the boards on the ground.

So out came the plasma...

And suddenly everyone gets along! I also started using a transmission jack for mock up at this point, which made life a lot easier.

With the piece of angle iron tacked in at my axle centerline I jacked the IRS cradle into place and set the pinion angle to 3* up with the CV at 0*. Then the bracing started.

Then I went back up front to build the rear lower control arm mounts for the IFS. I had a friend machine two pieces of steel to wrap halfway around some 3" DOM, then I boogered them together.

First thing was to split them so I could install the bushings, and rotate them for alignment in the future. Not bad for a sawzall!

Up next was cleaning the frame so I could build the mounts into the frame. I didn't want to grind the frame because I was worried about how much material I would lose trying to get the rust out of the low spots. I bought a few surface prep discs at Harbor Freight, and they sucked. They didn't fit the arbor on my grinder, they clogged up easily, and were only rated to 10,000 RPM so they tended to rip themselves apart. I bought some nicer ones, and paid the premium of $10 each at Fastenal, but they were worth every penny. This picture shows a great comparison of before and after using only the surface prep disc, no flap wheel, grinding wheel, or sanding.

And the disc.

After all that fun, I started cutting and rebuilding.

The driver's side is done as well, I just didn't get any pictures.

Then I began the oh so fun task of cutting/air hammering out all of the rivets for the factory crossmembers and brackets on the frame. That was miserable, but now the frame is ready to bring outside and sandblast when I get home this weekend.

That's how it sits right now. Unfortunately I'm stuck in Georgia this week doing training for work. I'll be back this weekend, and hopefully the weather will hold out so I can get the sandblasting done. I've started ordering parts, and the last big thing I need before I can finish the chassis is an engine. Kind of important I guess...
    Last edited by CTeunuch; 02-22-2017, 08:07 PM.
    1949 Ford F1 Build:
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93274

big fan of IRS in old cars and trucks! subbed for sure.
    99 GS 400
    85' 190d
    99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
    97' q45 (rip)
    ig: erik.docx

Comment

Looks like a load of fun, this should be a sweet ride, love that your taking one in that sort of condition and bringing it back. SUB'D

Comment

i don't know if you already said this, i couldn't find it anywhere, but what is the IRS out of?

Comment

I love it. I wish there were more builds like this on this forum lol

Roughly how long did it take to get to this stage where it sits now?

Comment

I love this.

Comment

Awesome build!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll be sure to update as things progress!

Originally posted by kristianbolster View Post
                i don't know if you already said this, i couldn't find it anywhere, but what is the IRS out of?
                The IRS is out of a Lincoln Mark 8, the same as a Thunderbird or Cougar of the same vintage, except it came with bags (which I won't be using), the diff housing is aluminum, and the lower control arms are cast aluminum instead of stamped steel. It's a Ford 8.8 centersection, which I've had great luck with in my Jeeps, so I'm not worried about strength. I bought it from a friend, who rebuilt it with a new FRPP LS and 3.73's shortly before the car was parked for a build that never happened, so it should be ready to run with some fresh oil. Not sure if I'll need to upgrade shafts with the 4-500HP I want to make, but I may just as a safety.

Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
                I love it. I wish there were more builds like this on this forum lol

Roughly how long did it take to get to this stage where it sits now?
                Too long haha. I got the truck into my shop in June, and I took a little while to get going on it. Part of what slowed me down was fear, to be honest. I've done a lot of fabrication over the years, but cutting both the Crown Vic cradle in half, and narrowing the frame, then expecting it all to line up, pushed me to levels of patience and accuracy that I hadn't been to yet. If things had gone wrong I could have started from scratch and built my own frame, but I want to keep as much of the original truck as possible, and as you can see, there isn't much left, so I really didn't want to ruin the original frame.

Not to mention that I bought myself another toy in June that took up quite a few of my weekends...
                1949 Ford F1 Build:

Comment

While I was down in Georgia I visited America's oldest/largest junkyard, and it was a pretty cool experience. They haven't sold parts out of there in over 10 years, so everything has been sitting and being reclaimed by nature. It was a shame considering some of the sheetmetal was better than what's on my truck haha. This truck really made me stop and think about how lucky I am to be able to save my grandfather's old truck, instead of it just rusting away.

And some pretty gnarly engine carnage. Looks like an old SBC?

Anyway, back to the build update. I spent the weekend sandblasting the frame, which was a miserable experience, but had to be done. I had called around to get quotes on having a shop do it for me, but most were saying $600-1000, and there was no way I was going to pay that much when I can do it myself. DIY or die, right? I bought the 110lb pressure pot style blaster from Harbor Freight, and it worked flawlessly. I'm not always a fan of their tools, but some of the things they sell are actually pretty decent, and for $120 I couldn't say no. A bigger compressor would have been nice, but our 60 gallon Craftsman kept up well enough.

All done and back in the shop.

While I was waiting around for my friend to show up and help me flip the frame I decided to swap out the hubs for the IRS. The major downfall of the Thnuderbird/MK VIII IRS set ups is their odd 5 x 4.25" lug pattern, which gives you limited wheel choices. Luckily the Cobra IRS hubs are a direct swap and match the Crown Vic pattern, but unfortunately they're $150 each new, and hard to find in junkyards. Oh well, you gotta pay to play.

New vs old.

Another great HF tool. And don't worry, that's pressure treated wood so it was safe...

I'll be back at it every night this week, so Hopefully I'll have a decent update on Friday night.
                  1949 Ford F1 Build:

Comment

Nice! I love threads like this, excited to watch it progress!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

I made a lot of progress last week, which ended with setting the frame down on the new suspension for the first time on Sunday. It was awesome to see months of work come together and actually work like I had planned. There's still a long road ahead, but I'm more motivated than ever now!

It started with tacking in the frame boxing plates. The center pieces are 1/8", and will be pulled back out to be drilled/dimpled once I finalize my crossmember placement. The pieces around the IFS mounts are all 3/16" and are staying put.

Up next was pulling the Crown Vic crossmember and giving it a haircut. I want the engine to sit as low and far back as possible for weight distribution, so the old engine mounts had to go to make some room.

Then I plated it back in with some 3/16" 6061. I still need to work on my spool gun beads, but it should hold up fine.

Then I cut the sections of the old frame out of the rear that were redundant with the IRS cradle in place. There is a lot more work to do back here, and the rear cut is just a rough one to give the upper arm clearance to move. I'll finalize all of this once I get my bags and build in the upper mounts.

Then I slapped it all together and put it on the ground, I'm stoked on how it's going to sit.

I'm kind of stuck until I get my hands on an engine, so I'm going to spend this week wiring my friends LS swapped E36. Hopefully the weather holds out next weekend and I can pull the engine from my old truck to use for mock up.
                      1949 Ford F1 Build:

Comment

this looks fantastic man! Definitely keep up the good work. I'll have my eye on this thread
                        Some people will never understand it, why we do what we do.
                        The busted knuckles and the late nights in the garage;
                        it's more than a hobby or pastime, it's a lifestyle. We live it."

Instagram: @Stance_God
                        My 93' EG Sedan Build ( Daily )
                        My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Originally posted by Loaf31 View Post
                          this looks fantastic man! Definitely keep up the good work. I'll have my eye on this thread
                          Thanks!

I haven't had much time on the truck lately, I've been working a lot of OT, and helping my friend with the wiring for his LS swapped E36. I have no idea what he's pointing at, but at least he's still smiling haha.

I did spend some time with the truck on Sunday afternoon. I mocked up the running boards to see what the truck would look like at ride height, and slammed. At first the front of the running board was ~3/4" off the ground, which I could love with, but the rear was ~1 5/8" up and that just wasn't low enough for me. It took a few hours of screwing around to find all the little hang ups, but eventually I got the board to sit ~1/2" up in the front, and ~3/4" in the rear. Pretty happy with that!

I'm hoping the weather cooperates better this weekend and I can pull the engine I need for mock up!
                          1949 Ford F1 Build:

Comment

Following this crazyness. Keep it up OP
                            Hipstagram tberardinucci

Comment

This is great. Someday I will get to work on my dads 48' International. Loving the work so far!
                              l ig:coltondk l youtube:coltondk I DD: Tundra I Projects:l 06 STI I 87 S10 l I 57 Chevy Belair I I 48' International KB-2 I 07R6r l
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X