728i E38 black on black AirRide Build | banu'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 728i E38 black on black AirRide Build | banu'

Hey guys, I recentley baught a 1996 728i E38, black on black, 370.000km. The car came with a swapped engine, meaning it now rocks a 2.8 M52 double vanos, out of an E46; It's no 750iL but I hope it'll do the job.

Tomorrow I'm taking it into the shop. Up for change:

I have no idea when those gearbox and final drive oils were last changed, really curious to see how they look. I'll try and get a couple photos of the process. In the meantime, here are some photos of the car when I got it.

Last edited by banserul; 02-21-2017, 10:28 AM.

Fluids & More Day1

Hey guys, took the car into the shop today as planned and the guys there started the work on it. Changed the engine oil, went for 10W40 (not the 5W40 as the manual suggests since the engine is nowhere close to new, hah 370.000 km). New oil filter, air filter and gas filter went in as well. 6L went in, will see tomorrow if it needs more or not.

Started doing the tranny oil change. Took all 22 darn screws off when we realized the filter and gasket were the wrong ones; turns out the tranny is swapped as well, this one most likely came from a newer 7er (probably post 1998). All was good though, ordered a new filter and gasket aaand it also didn't fit; well the filter did fit but the gasket was still of; supposedly the right one will be here tomorrow, so there's that

transmision w/out the bottom cover and w/ filter off

old transmision oil filter

Anyway, the guys moved on and changed the rear dif. oil. Thankfully that went smoothly and to my surprise it didn't come out looking like satan's soul, so that was nice. About 1.3L went in there

Up next came the crank shaft universal joint which looked like it was ready to give out any minute. Supposed to be round, this one looked more like a deformed rag doll, with all the ropes coming out.

Finally, they did the engine gasket, Tons of screws to take in and out but the engine looked rather clean with it's top off, so again that was a nice surprise. To take this out you need to unplug all the coils, take them out, undow all the screws around the cap, detach the loom from the engine block and carefully lever the cap off. Beath it behold:

Right now waiting for that tranny gasket to show up and hopefully it'll be the right one, fingers crossed. Still left to do for tomorrow:
    • finish up tranny oil swap
    • refilling the coolant
    • figuring out why the car isn't running on all 6 (probably one or many of the many smoked coils)

That was about it for Day1, left the car looking sad outside the shop and caught a ride home.

Comment

Fluids & More Day2

Right, came back this morning to find the car soaking up some sun, waited around for a little, threw it on the lift, found out the gasket fits. Bolted up the tranny oil filter and gasket, replaced the transmision oil and that job is finally done. Finished replacing all the coolant and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out why it's not running on all six. Put the OBD on it, turns out when it gets a little warm, cylinder 1 refuses to work. Our guess was a bad ignition coil that stops working after it heats up. Ordered a new coil, should be here tomorrow. If it all goes well, the car will leave the shop tomorrow on its own legs. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
      X