Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer
  • User Status: Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron View Post
That is so sweet man. Great restoration. I see that in one photo there is an Alberta plate on a bike? Are you in Sask or Alberta?
I am actually in Alberta. The car was driven from Saskatchewan in the late 90's and then was parked in Calgary.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #27
mpower5266
StanceWorks Addicted

This is great, but now I feel like I have neglected my 2002's.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #28
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Here is the latest instalment of my 2002 project! Hope you guys enjoy.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #29
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Hello again,

Recently knocked a big to-do off the list! Get the rear end together and the car back on all four. Check. I had most of the parts ready so when some much needed parts arrived in the mail, I could have that goal reached in no time. The plan is to go on relatively long drives so its not going to be super low, with that being said I wanted a more aggressive stance than the stock ”4x4” look. I went with Ireland Engineering stage 1 springs. They drop the car about an 1.5”. The final pictures show the height. Hopefully it settles a bit when there is more weight in the back however it won’t be too far off. As for the rest of the rear end. E21 3.91 Limited slip differential, Ireland engineering 22mm sway bar, E21 Rear brake drums, Bilstein Sport shocks, and new stiffer bushings! Should handle a treat! Here is some pictures of the assembly process. More to come...

Last edited by mini67; 01-23-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #30
I_Haz.:R32
StanceWorks Visitor

Super mint. Had to follow on the gram as well for sure.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #31
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Hello,

Finally got the M42 all together and it looks awesome. I do think that the engine should look nice in the 2002, not too out of place! Some people sand the raised lines of the valve cover and that looks good in my opinion however I also like the solid black. What are your guys thoughts? Thanks

Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #32
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Old 01-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #33
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Got the old M10 out! Now to clean the engine bay and stick the M42 in. Canít wait!

Old 02-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #34
royalife
Sticky Bandits
StanceWorks Regular

I love all the new bits and pieces and attention to detail, gonna be a good one once finished. keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lublub View Post
Psshhhhhh...always go balls deep man...always.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #35
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Update! I got the M42 bolted in! For me at least, this is crazy progress. I made some relatively rough measurements of the m42 in the subframe outside the car. Then proceeded to make engine mounts and bolted it in! I had to change the mounts a little to get the engine to exactly where I wanted, however overall wasnít too complicated. There definitely is satisfaction to building something yourself. I made sure the M42 was exactly where it needed to be then made transmission mounts, shifter brackets and driveshaft mounts. Then tore it all out to clean and paint! The engine bay I am leaving original paint. I want this car running and driving in three months and do not want to have to strip fresh paint to weld a bracket or something like that. Three months is coming up quick! Hopefully itíll be going by thenÖ.

This is the current state of the 2002. Lots of work aheadÖ

Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 AM   #36
Chapstck
StanceWorks Newcomer

This thing is gonna be mint. Good shit man
Old 02-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #37
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Small update.

Just got some parts from the powder coaters. Super happy with the work! If you are in Calgary AB go to Topgun Powdercoaters! I por15íd the rear suspension components so Itíll be a good test to see which holds up better. I suspect the powder coating will. I also spend many hours scrubbing down the inside of the hood and touching up the engine bay. Its ready for a final install. Can not wait!

Here is the before of my engine mounts

Here you can see them in the top

Putting bushings in. Always put the rubber part in firstÖ

Nice and original engine bay. Not bad for 45 year old paint.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #38
white out
StanceWorks Lover

Quality build.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #39
kristianbolster
StanceWorks Visitor

this is insanely nice
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #40
mini67
StanceWorks Newcomer

Hello again,

This past weekend was full of activity. I have the M42 officially bolted in, hopefully for good! The transmission and driveshaft are also bolted in and my shifter is finished as well. Here are some pictures of the process. I didnít take too many pictures of the shifter build but it was a lot of work! I used the original 2002 shifter housing and shifter but had to shorten the housing about two inches. I then cut the linkages in half and used half the e30 linkage and half the 2002 linkage and shortened it the same two inches. The original E30 shifter mount was too high and I didnít want to weld the tunnelÖ. so I cut off the E30 shifter mount and now had to somehow bolt this new assembly on. There was two holes beside the shifter selector shaft that I tapped holes in, made little adapters and bolted the whole thing together! I am quite pleased with result! My transmission bracket also requested some creativity as I didnít want to weld any brackets to the body but instead use the original mounts. The original e30 mount didnít work at all, so naturally I cut it up. I used only the mounting holes off of it and welded a piece of metal bracket underneath to support it. I couldnít use the e30 or 2002 rubber mounts so I decided to use the original sway bar end link bushing. I think it worked out great! Speaking of sway bars, I purchased a much thicker Ireland engineering one (22mm). However the original sway bar actually mounts in front of the engine and this aftermarket one is underneath. The m42 is a tall engine and I was nervous to do the installÖ It didnít fit. If the engine was a smidge further forward it would be fine. That would demand recreating all of my mounts and shifter linkages, so naturally the only other way is down! I added a small spacer to the sway bar mounts and shaved my oil pan a little. Its very close still and I will have to have the car running before I can firmly decide wether or not itíll do, but for now I am very happy with it! It was such a pleasure to use basically all new/ clean/ redone parts. Everything bolted together smoothly and even my ďcustomĒ shifter lined up beautifully.

Here is my shifter, the linkage on top is half 2002 and half e30. And here is the entire assembly dissembled.

Here is my transmission bracket, and with the sway bar bushing installed.

The engine all ready to go in! Canít tell you guys how happy I am to be at this stage.

Its close!

Now to mount my radiator and wire it all in.... Thanks for watching!
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #41
Fons
StanceWorks Visitor

Such a quality build! Really love the attention for detail.