No announcement yet.

Little Low Red Wagon - The other Volvo wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, I'm trying hard to push and get it done without half assing anything. I LOVE being able to have a DD and project car. When I bagged my Sonoma it was a DD so some nights if it got too late things got rushed so I could make it to work the next morning.

Not anymore. Having a separate project car means if I don't have something I need and the stores are all closed...oh well, tomorrow is ok, and I continue on with something else instead of getting hung up and getting frustrated.

I picked this up as I needed something more "parts friendly". 93 4x4 5 spd w/ 22RE. Installed HID's and some 31.5's. It came with a header already on it so that was also a nice bonus. Second to Volvo wagons, I do love my Toyota pick ups.

Anyway, enough about that.

Today I mounted my switches, got some nice feeling rocker switches and feel really quick to tap to help bring it to the ground nicely without just slamming it. I shouldn't have to worry because I'm running 3/8" line and the bags I'll end up using have a 1/4" port. It'll air up and down slow but I don't really want it to be hopping or anything gay. I wired in the pressure switch and relay for the A/C's clutch as well. Running the wires and air line was probably the most time consuming thing of all. Glad it's over lol. Everytime I removed something there was a mess. While the dash was apart I built a gauge pod too.

Started like this:

Ended up using parts from 3 different Volvo dashes to make it work lol

Air pressure for the front bags - Tank pressure - Rear bag pressure.

YUM

This **** was EVERYWHERE. Don't know what it is.

Switches

Well, when I bought the car it was intended to be a winter beater for $500. It wasn't until a few months after that I was sitting in the garage looking at it and thinking it would look pretty good on the ground. I then SOLD my GMC Sonoma that I had just finished bagging and 5.7L Vortec swapping. Upon the first look at the car i could see that it needed a power steering rack. What better time than before a 9 hour road trip to BC. And so I finally got around to doing it and it wasn't even that bad. Peanuts really.

Disgusting really. I couldn't stand looking at it in that state any longer. My passion for the Lolvo has risen to a new level. I find myself CONSTANTLY thinking about it, planning out where my air lines are going to go, what parts I'll need and what parts can be painted? and what color?

Obsessed? Yup. You betcha.

I haven't gotten around to doing the oil pan gasket yet. I'm still very unsure of what I will end up doing for a motor. I have a few pipe dreams that include ITB's. I'm quite a stranger to tuning though so I will most likely keep it a dirty hippie power plant for the time being.

Next I polished more of the steel air line. All it is, is plain 3/8" steel line that comes in a 25 ft roll (got mine at Napa for next to nothing like $13).

Next I straightened out a chunk and put it in the chuck of the drill and used a piece of scotch brite held against it. Then used Mothers metal polish. What you get is cheap stainless look-a-like lines.

Before on the left, after on the right.

Then tackled the sub floor with fists of furry. Torqued down all the fittings (easier said that done with these guys), trimmed the manifold bracket and painted it red. Removed the hatch latch and took a wire wheel, scotch brite, and more metal polish to it.

Yuck.

Had to buy another manifold and the cheapest was blue. Figured I could hide it. The air fitting will be used for tires, air tools in a pinch and whatever else that can be used with air.

$6 for that guy...

installed:

That's it for today. I have a few panels left to wrap in plaid and the wood still needs to be purchased for the hardwood install which will be next. Then I'll be dusting off the welder and grinder and figuring some **** out. ANY info on that white bagged 240 wagon would be of great help if anyone has seen it. The rear suspension looks very tight for space but I'm pretty sure I can make it work.
    Last edited by carter; 08-15-2011, 12:35 AM.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

excellent work! this really makes me want to put a car on air.

watch out for that sub frame when riding low, a friend of mine got stuck on rail road tracks and ruined his sub frame. even with a welded diff, he hardly got the car off the tracks.

seriously though, this car is awesome!

Dave's Muffler & More on the social network!!!
      DAVESMUFFLERANDMORE@GMAIL.COM

Comment

huge fan, love the plaid and everything else for that matter

golf clap

Comment

Representing Norway Group

Comment

Lovin' it so far.

When you do the wood floor, make sure the boards are going left-right instead of front-back. If you get rear ended (knock on wood), the boards will "fold up" like an accordion, in stead of turning into spears and impaling you, Final Destination style.
            StatusRacing.com
            Configure YOUR Seat Here
            Tel: 1.480.265.8600
            Email: sales@statusracing.com
            Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by StatusRacing View Post
              Lovin' it so far.

When you do the wood floor, make sure the boards are going left-right instead of front-back. If you get rear ended (knock on wood), the boards will "fold up" like an accordion, in stead of turning into spears and impaling you, Final Destination style.
              Not a bad precaution, however if I did it that way it won't look right. The roof rack goes lengthwise as well.

This is the look I'm after:

It's also not a DD and I only drive it in the city, I can't see anyone going fast enough to cause the rear of one of these old wagons to crumple, their pretty solid. It'll also be a 2 piece floor so I might be able to design the first floor to "fail" and go under the the 2nd part.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

Had another day off work and got into the floor.

Here we go, I've never really worked with wood, only metal. In fact I'm pretty sure I recall telling myself I'd never be able to work with wood...well, I dug out my grampas old jig saw he left me when he passed away last year. It's pretty old, but it holds sentimental value so I made it work.

Test fit:

Test fit with stain

Next is to mount the tank I suppose...the stainless runners will be another 10 days or so (4 week wait total :/ )

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

love it, 5 stars from me!!!
                  Bone stock 2004 Audi A8

Comment

Thanks!

My York 210 :P EDC FTW. (I'll have an electric back up eventually)

I didn't really get up to much on the car today, spent some time longboarding and then went to the Rod Shop for some inspiration on the air tank mounts. Talked a bit to one of the guys about the car and what I should do...

I had a few ideas but I just couldn't even out the angles so they would be symmetrical.

But then said fuck that and cut off the mounting ears off the tank. They were ugly anyway.

The inside will be lined with a foam padding, and the outside will be covered by 2 identical vintage belts. For your pants belts. Now I just have to find an antique store nearby...

- Also the bolts in the bottom won't be there. I just fed some ready rod threw with some nuts to suck it close to the tank for the time being.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

Well, small update...didn't get as much done as I thought I was going to.

But I wrapped another panel

Found a sweet little handle, haven't installed it yet because I also found one of those clicky magnetic door latches you see on cupboards and installed it under the rear part of the floor. So now I can get away without having a handle at all. Clean vs. bling. I picked clean but heres a picture anyway:

Then I cut some **** up and made the rear wheels tuck. Took some measurements for the bag cups and hopefully have those made a work if I get a chance this weekend. Next week: Mon-Thurs ALL wrenching time so hopefully I can figure some **** out and have this close to being drag-able at least.

Also sprayed the box of my truck before winter hits. I know...its a long ways away but it SUCKS trying to spray it in a cold garage and it doesn't set properly.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

woot woot!!!

Comment

Damn, very nice progress. Your car is a huge inspiration to me, the trunk setup is super clean. I'd love to do bags on my 245 as well, I have to build my B230ft and swap that in first.
                          Excited for more progress!
                          sigpic
                          GARAGE | THE PROFESSOR

Comment

Luvly car!
                            Succes with the rest of the fitting!
                            If shit can happen, shit's bound to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt_pnw View Post
                              Damn, very nice progress. Your car is a huge inspiration to me, the trunk setup is super clean. I'd love to do bags on my 245 as well, I have to build my B230ft and swap that in first.
                              Excited for more progress!
                              Wow thanks man. I hope your able to use some ideas, tweak them and make them your own and maybe better

My inserts came in today. Got excited and tossed them in as soon as I got home lol

And here's a good old before pic:

I'll get better pics when it's not so dark out. It's sad when it gets dark around 8 or 9... :/ usually means snow is on it's way.
                              Last edited by carter; 09-01-2011, 12:57 AM.

Lolvo build thread.

Comment

Fuck you dont even need the wood paneling in the trunk, that air setup with the amp in there is absolutely clean as hell...

I like this thing, dont know why, but I really like it...
                                Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                                Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X