No announcement yet.

What does "Stanced" mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like i said earlier, the german TUV laws required that the tire could not pass the fender, however it said nothing about wheels.

Also a flush 195 on an 8 has a narrower track than a 195 thats poked, thus getting wide

Flickr

Comment

ok, so how does that translate to a trend over here? They HAVE to do it, the US doesnt. So just a bunch of fanboys were like, i wanna be like them?

and dont give me the wider track thing. 98.99999% of you guys running poke, arent on a race track, so the 60mm wider track you get by putting spacers, or a lower offset isnt going to make a difference.

I wish they made the TH-lines in 19s though. :sigh:

i understand the poke thing, when its done for what the germans do it for. but i can point out maybe 20-30 cars i saw on google images, whose tire definately extends WAY out of the fender, for no reason.
      Disclaimer:
      I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

The wider track is about looking wider, not track use.

So then VIP guys over here are just fanboys too?

Flickr

Comment

It's not really for "no reason." Like people have mentioned, it's just a style. Hell, the majority of "car enthusiasts" **** stretch and thinks the tires are going to blow up and/or fall off.

Styling and aesthetics cannot be proven right or wrong and you don't have to have a "reason" to do it.
          Originally posted by Jesus Christ
          if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
          Originally posted by Jedidiah
          he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Ok, so let me give you a little bit of reasoning why im asking so much.

Vip guys, are fanboys, yeah. BUT at least our fitment is still suitable for DD without posibility of crushing fenders while being low
            We strech tires, becuase with perfect fitment, as your wheel goes into the fender, a square tire would stop it. a round sidewall lets it. So there is a reason for us to do it. We keep body lines, fender arch lines, etc in tact, and everything is within MM of clearance (or at least if you do it right)

Now on the other end. I see stuff like this:
            awww fuck, well cause of work filters i cant see the pics i saw at home.

basically, people just put a fender roller on their car, and pull as far as possible, destroying body lines and arch lines, to kinda fit the tire under the fender.
            It just seems people are putting their wheels outside the fenders to do it nowadays. Some of the older mk1/mk2 cars it looks right on cause of the overall look of the car.
            But to have to run 16s, so your wheels and tires are so small that you can be fake low, just kills it.
            Id much rather see a mk4/3 on 18s, at the same height of the 16 guys, with correct fitment, becuase it shows workmanship, dedication, time.

i can slap some shit thats too wide on a car in an hour if i wanted to.
            So i think it goes more into workmanship and finesse more than anything. ive seen one VW on here that had poke i liked. the rest are just like, " Hey im gonna be cooler htan you and poke 2" more on a stock body".
            Disclaimer:
            I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post
              ok, so how does that translate to a trend over here? They HAVE to do it, the US doesnt. So just a bunch of fanboys were like, i wanna be like them?
              It's pretty simple IMO. People just like the look. It gives a nice, wide, squat stance. It has nothing to do with copying anyone or being fanboys...it's just a preference just like you obviously like the flush look. I'm not into the crazy "3 inch poke" that you've brought up, but I think a car looks infinitely better poking a bit like cal's silver gti posted earlier.

Just like any car styling trend, some people take it to an extreme and it starts looking goofy, but when executed well poke can look killer.

Here's a good example of how a car can either be flush or rock some poke and still have a legit stance.

Same car, similar photo angle, different takes on "stance".

Comment

Yes you can take poke too far.

That doesnt make all poke bad.

Plenty DD with poke, its not as bad as youd imagine. and you need to stretch to properly poke rim, tuck tire.

Flickr

Comment

I apologize guys, i took this way off topic. sorry again!
                  Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post

Id much rather see a mk4/3 on 18s, at the same height of the 16 guys, with correct fitment, becuase it shows workmanship, dedication, time.
                    It takes just as much worksmanship, dedication, and time to pull off a poke stance. You still do all the mm math and tire size research. You still search for the perfect width wheels or spend hours trying to find the right size wheel lips. It's not different than trying to fit a flush setup.

Comment

the word "stanced", imo, does nothing more than identify you as part of the new trend.

"stance", on the other hand, generally refers to the relationship of the car to the ground (i.e. low, raked). it is undescriptive in it's solitary form but can modified with an adjective (i.e. low, raked stance) and take many aestethic aspects into account (i.e. wheel fitment, abstract: aggressive stance).

Comment

Well, to be fair, a ton of cars like a VW MK4 has no IRS or double wishbone up front so we cannot "camber" and "tuck" into the fenders when hitting bumps. Even though I don't really "care" that I'm destroying my fender paint, it will happen if I want to keep the current stance that I LOVE on my car. It's a give and take and I'm perfectly fine with burning paint IF it lets me achieve the static stance on my car.

Critique my car if you'd like. My rear wheels poke quite a bit and I wouldn't have it any other way:

if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rally View Post
                          It takes just as much worksmanship, dedication, and time to pull off a poke stance. You still do all the mm math and tire size research. You still search for the perfect width wheels or spend hours trying to find the right size wheel lips. It's not different than trying to fit a flush setup.
                          i have to respectfully disagree. if we're too far off track here lmk and we can kill the conversation or start a new thread.

the difference, imo, is flush is only 1 very small range of fitment (a couple mm's) vs. poke which is anything outward of that.

now i can dig that you may have a specific amount of poke you are trying to achieve but it's a target with no bullseye. flush can only be flush, anything else is tuck or poke.

fyi, i'm not just jumping in to back up my club member. i definitely have my own view on this. i'm not a fan of poke personally (i prefer flush or even tuck) but i have no problem with someone who does like it. to each their own.

Comment

Im not convinced. Perhaps we should start a new thread, but since flush is so easy to define, it seems that a tasteful well executed poke would be harder because you have infinite combos.

Flickr

Comment

The thread is fine. It's what the whole subject is about. Just don't turn it into a whole bashing, name calling, and "my shit is better than your shit" immature child-syndrome.

Comment

hit the nail on the head.
                                While i do like poke in some instances. There still isnt an intelligent explanation for excessive poke. I can explain flush, and camber (dont be jealous VW guys ) but you cant explain poke.
                                Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                                X