Copycat Volvo S70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copycat Volvo S70

Hi, my name is Ted. I'm from Holland and I drive an S70 2.5T Manual.
    I used to have an 850R, but that was totalled about 5 months ago, someone rearended me.
    I did introduce myself some time ago when I still had my 850. As you can see here:
    Introduction in the past

Now... it's time for something new. And this is what I have to work with.

As is know to some, Volvo's are not the easiest car to go low with, but I'm not looking to go extremely low so I'll be fine.
    When I first saw the car (same make model as mine) of Mattphi, I liked it a lot, and when he put on the Style-5's I fell in love with it. So at some point I decided fuck it, I'm going to put on Style-5's as well.

Yes I know, shameless copycat behavior, but we have a saying in the Neherlands. "Beter goed gejat dan slecht verzonnen" which can be translated into something like "Better steal a good idea then make up your own bad idea".

When I found some Style-5's to be refinished for little money on Ebay I jumped right on them and I am now in the process of refinishing them and so the project has started which entitles me to make this build thread.

At the end of may I'm ordering my first ever coil-over set to go low, because the lowering springs that are on the car now just don't cut it. This is the set I'm going with. BC-racing which gets a lot of very good reviews.

So, the set of Style-5's:

Here they are sprayed with some WD40 to loosen the bolt.

Removed all the bolts of the first wheel. They were all very easy to remove, no problem there.

Then I tried to remove the center which was impossible. There was no way I could get them out with a big log and a hammer. I broke it, not the wheel, not the log, but my hammer... Damn

So I took it to work and pressed the centers out. 2000psi of pressure didn't work, but when I heated the hoop with a torch the center came loose very gentily. And the center was removed.
    In this next picture I've already cleaned and stripped the wheel of paint and stuff, ready to receive some colour.
    As you can also see, I've had them all re-drilled to 5x108 because 5x120 just won't work!

This morning I also removed the center from the second wheel, so I'm halfway there.

I must honestly say, I'm feeling a bit weird about copying the wheels of Matt's car. I have no idea why. But I just love the look, and so I'm going through with it. And on the other hand, doesn't the entire Volvo community roll on Pegs? Like I used to with my previous car... This is finally something different that should be respected and followed!!
    So Matt, I hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by Tedd81; 06-02-2012, 05:00 AM.

looks like you're going in the right direction

kom ook ff langs op het Bel/Ned gedeelte
    Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Looking good! Can't wait to see what color combo you decide on those style 5's!

Glad to see more S70's popping up!

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

I was thinking white centers with polished lips and gold-ish plated bolts and nuts.
        But then I saw another 850 on Volvospeed with white centered RS-es and I was thinking damn I'm too late. I don't want to make them too dark. So no black center or something like that. I like gold or brownish/bronze a lot, but that's very 2010 Impreza, so I guess I'm sticking with white.
        But I haven't decided yet until the paint is on!

Comment

love the nautic blue. i've got a nautic xc70 that im working on. what year is this 99+? or did you just swap the corner markers on?

either way you're off to a good start!

Comment

Haha same combo as Gabe on the wheels. I like white buy maybe do white bolts? My boss at work just got a set of polished lip white bolts white centers for his E30.

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Okoye View Post
              love the nautic blue. i've got a nautic xc70 that im working on. what year is this 99+? or did you just swap the corner markers on?

either way you're off to a good start!
              Thnx, it's a 98 model. EU spec (as I'm in Europe) but the US-corners were added later. We put on US-corners as you US folk put on Euro corners. LoL

Comment

Originally posted by JVC View Post
                Haha same combo as Gabe on the wheels. I like white buy maybe do white bolts? My boss at work just got a set of polished lip white bolts white centers for his E30.
                Yeah I know. I'm not going with white bolts.

Comment

So, this is about the process I'm going through with parting the wheels.

First I remove all of the bolts (Duh), than I put the wheel in the press

Add some bad-ass flame

And than it's two pieces.

The edge is filled with dirt, salt and whatnot. A lot of sheit.

So from this

To this

And now I have this

Comment

color match the centers with ur car color, and white lips?
                    Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Nah, that means really dark centers, which I don't want and I want polished lips.
                      So no, but thanx for your input, much appreciated.

Comment

So there is a clearcoat on the lips. How to remove? Right with paint stripper.

This is the result after 20 min of stripper. Not everything is off

The shiny stuff is bare aluminium, the milkywhite is still clear.

Another round of stripper. This time 1,5 hours.

Now we have more result. Bare aluminium all over the place, with offcourse a fair amount of oxidation which will be sanded out and polished. But have a look at those curb rashings, this is the worst one.

Aaaaaaaand.... Gone!!

Comment

I love DIY wheel restorations currently finishing a set of Gottis myself keep it up. Loved the old 850r I've been hunting for a t-5r forever.
                          Follow on IG
                          amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                          Vintage AME Wheels
                          RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                          W115 & W123

Comment

Thnx, I saw a yellow T-5R at the pump today and fell right back in love. Love the lines of that car!!

Comment

Wow, you did wonders on those style 5's! Good job

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Working...
                              X