No announcement yet.

"It was cooler static."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone I knew had a stripped out car with a rear strut brace on the towers he used as a harness bar. He crashed his car to the extent where his seat detached from the car and shot him into the strut bar. He snapped his neck because of that. He died...

I'd listen to what he has to say Dremetos...

Otherwise, cars pretty spiffy. I like it! But the harness bar, be careful whichever you choose with it dude
    I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
      Yes, a 3-point will perform better in a rollover than a 5-point if you do not have a cage. Part of the design of a 3-point is that it allows the body to rotate around the axis of the shoulder strap. This allows the head, neck, and shoulders to move downward in the event that the roof crushes in, which is not something that can happen with a harness. Ask any first responder and they'll tell you stories of coming up on cars crushed flat like a tin can where they were sure the driver was dead, only to find him or her folded up and perfectly fine.

The design of a 3-point belt is extremely clever and very well-suited to the kinds of conditions street cars and occupants are subjected to in a crash.

I don't tell you this stuff to be patronizing or to mock your decision to install a harness bar. If you want to run one for autocross or just for show, you'll hear no complaints from me. But they have no place whatsoever on the street or on the track.
      I don't have much to add, but I wrecked a car a few years ago with stock 3 point belts. Hit a genie lift at ~25 and pretty much stopped in 3 ft including 2.5 ft of crumple zone, sliding said lift ~6 inches. I bumped my forehead on the wheel and I think that the 3 point NOT holding my shoulders firmly to the seat saved my neck... If my torso had been solidly belted to the seat my head would have continued forward with nothing but my neck to stop it. I would have been hurt much worse with a 5 point I'm certain... This stuff is serious bizness...
      Vid relavent to this discussion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE
      -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
      '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
      '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

I'll never understand why people put race harnesses and cages in street cars that will never see the track.

Harnesses should not be used in any car without a proper roll cage, and roll cages that extend into the drivers compartment should never be installed in a car you'll be driving without a helmet.

Stock seatbelts allow you to slide downward. Five point harnesses keep you in the upright position and don't allow any movement -- which means you're going to be crushed should the roof collapse. They are not safer than factory belts.

Some things aren't worth the scene points.
        '02 WRX | FLICKR.COM/AVIDWORKS

Comment

This is fucking stupid. Every aspect of it.

Comment

the Junk yard called they want their car back.....
            ---------------------------------------------------------
            Ignorus Maximus
            ---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

different wheels will have this looking on-point
              @ DEARSTEPDAD
              Slow 'N' Soft Build : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1054474

Comment

Wait, you use bags to purposely scrape? You got it all wrong man.
                Instagram: yobrandonnn

Comment

Originally posted by FRSBrndn View Post
                  Well, I couldn't get it any lower and I was already on 4" springs, so it was bag it or remove my springs. That would've been the plan, but my huge 205/40/17's were scrubbing my tubs and I'm not ready to tub it.

Comment

Bags are to drive lower and park impossible. If you drive aired all the way up you're just playing yourself and you don't actually like low cars.
                    IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

Originally posted by drift55 View Post
                      Bags are to drive lower and park impossible. If you drive aired all the way up you're just playing yourself and you don't actually like low cars.
                      Indeed. This kid has driven behind me static, I'm sure he'll agree removing pieces of the road wasn't enough, I needed to remove piece of my car at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by FRSBrndn View Post
                        Seems legit What could be better than being able to do it on command? My next hot rod will lay frame and I'll use that capability to stop at lights
                        -Christian.

Comment

My e-brake is reserved for hill use only if that counts for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dremetos View Post
                            My e-brake is reserved for hill use only if that counts for anything.
                            Why use brakes if the frame works just the same?
                            -Christian.

Comment

static i could 50/50 grind the crown in the road, but i wised up and raised it. honestly, half the time when driving you can be pretty much into the ground, but for daily use you sometimes need to be a little bit higher.

i would bag my car seriously for that instant inch up or down.
                              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                              Got Drop??

Comment

Working...
                              X