99 Mercedes C43 AMG - Cleaning it up Dropping it down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Mercedes C43 AMG - Cleaning it up Dropping it down

Stancewise this is what I'm thinking....

225/40's on the 9.5" at the back and 225/40/18 on the fronts. Space the rears out a little

1999 Mercedes C43 AMG 4.3l V8
    Black/Blue Leather
    170,000 Miles. LOTS of service records
    Chrome 18" monos from E55 - 18x8.5 and 18x9.5

Negotiated with the owner (nice guy from Dana Point, CA) and he gave me a great price on it

Here is the day I picked it up. You can just see the guy's M3 he has set up for racing. It was pretty nice

Only problem with it was the whole front end was trashed from highway miles (just cosmetically)

Cracked Fog Light
    Broken side mirror and duct tape holding it on
    Missing bumper insert
    Stone chipped under headlights and top edge of bumper

First up was to replace the cracked foglight. OEM glass was $20. not bad. bit of a bitch to swap it out but probly only a 30 minute job once you know what to do

Next up I swapped in an avantgarde grill

I removed, sanded and re-painted the trim pieces under the headlights as they were REALLY stone chipped

I also installed clear side markers (that did not fit at ALL out of the box...had to cut the mounting piece down so they would click into place.

I finally gave in and ordered the missing insert piece for the bumper from Mercedes and painted it up and installed it (this time adding some cable ties so if it unclips...I wont lose it)

Got a tint done down at SD Tint on the weekend. Travis down there was a great help and gave a great price

New windscreen went in today. Old one was sand-blasted bad.

Removed all the handles today to paint them up. Still need to finish up the clear tomorrow night them put them back on

Once the handles are done I need to paint the front bumper to touch it up a bit

Then I will move onto lowering, then tires, then spacers

nice work!

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...t=16940&page=7

Comment

great start man !

Comment

well was out in the country and both my rear tires went down to cords/metal. oops. threw on a spare and got back home. went and got new rubber all the way around.

Nitto 555's.

2 shops would not stretch onto my rims so i stuck with my original sizes. 255/35 on the 9.5 and 22540 on the 8.5

no stretch but they look tough and as a bonus my car actaully has grip again ahah. now to get this lower and spaced out still.

working on the air setup for the old benz so all in good time

p.s if anyone knows of anyone parting out a C43 - let me know, i want a drivers side skirt
        Last edited by D&W; 07-29-2011, 02:54 AM.

Comment

I dont see the problem to fit the 225 40 on 9.5 rear wheels...and I think that you gonna have problems to run 255 if you really want to drop the car...(lot of rubbing I gess)..

Comment

Originally posted by a3 german View Post
            I dont see the problem to fit the 225 40 on 9.5 rear wheels...and I think that you gonna have problems to run 255 if you really want to drop the car...(lot of rubbing I gess)..
            tell me about it. they just flat out refused to mount them.

255's dont meet the fenders and when lower it will camber a little more. might be able to space them a little but to be honest im not too bothered with this car. i only want it to drop about an inch or so. this is my daily so drivability is most important. its my old benz i am aiming really low

Comment

Cheers Dom and David for Saturday. Stoked on how she's sitting you guys killed it, wish I had all those tools and knowhow

1 coil off the rear, no rubbing even with 2 big dudes in the back. I would say it came down 2" with 1 coil

Front will come down shortly

Prior

After

Comment

looking better lowered ( i c ur working on the front low)

but chrome wheels i don't like
                Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

the front seems really high...

rear is nice, bt I think that the rear wheels should be wider...maybe a spacer could fix that "problem" too...

Comment

Originally posted by a3 german View Post
                    the front seems really high...

rear is nice, bt I think that the rear wheels should be wider...maybe a spacer could fix that "problem" too...
                    Front is not lowered yet, didn't have the mercedes spring compressor that day to do the fronts at the same time

It could take a 5mm spacer with no need to change tires, any more and I'd need to replace the 255's on there I think

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                      looking better lowered ( i c ur working on the front low)

but chrome wheels i don't like
                      I was very anti chrome when I bought this car but I soon fell in love with chrome so I'm stoked, I have a few ideas for the future so may end up a bit different but first things first just need to get the front lower

Comment

i love the chrome! looks proper! would be nice with a little more poke and stretch

Comment

Looks great. I do also love the chrome wheels. It sets off the car.

Comment

Originally posted by laBeef View Post
                            Looks great. I do also love the chrome wheels. It sets off the car.
                            Thanks, looking forward to seeing it sits and if there is much rub i up front when that comes down.

After lowering I need to fix a damaged side skirt which is a bitch as you never see C43 skirts come up for sale, then I need to give it a detail and probly an oil change too soon oh yea and chase up where my new registration stickers are cos they have expired

Comment

Originally posted by Bystrov View Post
                              i love the chrome! looks proper! would be nice with a little more poke and stretch
                              could happen when im due for new tires which may not be for a while. unless i indulge in some tire smoking

Comment

Working...
                              X