FaKe WhEeLs ArE FaKe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sacrifice View Post
    I would love to sit here and contribute to the reps vs. "real" wheels argument, but that will only further fuel a fire that has plenty of fuel already. Yes, replica wheels are often stolen designs made of inferior materials. We get that. The bitching and moaning is not going to prevent people from purchasing replica wheels. Some people may not be able to purchase "real" wheels on their given budget, but does this mean we should exclude them from being an enthusiast? Absolutely not.

While many of us are quick to express our feelings on replica wheels, we also fail to place ourselves in the shoes of others who share the same interests we do but simply cannot afford to purchase wheels that cost a couple thousand dollars or more. We are so quick to point fingers and poke fun at individuals that are running replica wheels that we forget to support one another in the niche scene we have today.

While we should not support companies who make replica wheels, we should support members of the very small community we have. Without new members to the scene, there will be no future. Lets inform less educated members of the comunity about current issues (ie: replica wheels) rather than putting them down and making them feel inferior.
    this.

I always wondered why if replica wheels are taking out the real deal wheel companies, why arent the real deal companies suing over patent infringement? I hear news of apple and samsung suing each other every day over some stupid ish like using the same font in their engraving, but I rarely hear about an asian wheel company suing another asian wheel company... maybe I just dont hear about it, but I'd like to know if any attempt has even been made to bring legal justice or has some communistic/under the table deal been the cause to why these rep wheels still exist?

Comment

Points have been made, some better than others; but I still have a question. What makes a wheel "real" other than its logo and manufacturing material? Just because a wheel company made this design before another suddenly makes their wheel "real" and the others fakes? Was Apple deemed fake because Microsoft came out with a system before they did? I don't think so. They just put their own spin on a computer, of similar design and marketed it to the community. As Rajah said above me, if the real wheel companies were greatly hurting from the purchases of replica wheels, then we would hear about law suits and such. The "real" wheel companies will always be around no matter how affordable the replica wheels become. A legacy sticks and people will always remember and have faith in a name with a history...
      Flickr

Comment

computers aren't marketed solely based on aesthetics like wheels are (well, aesthetics and weight).
        Jason
        flickr
        build thread

Comment

Originally posted by BreadBaskett View Post
          Relax Pal. If Mr. Burroughs believes something needed to be clarified or his pinion must be heard, he has all the right to comment on whatever thread he so pleases. You sir, are just adding to the "pointlessness" of the thread by arguing your opinion on it, as well as, you ignorant comments about young people being cheap. Age does not justify one's "cheapness". I know and have heard of plenty of people (of all ages) buying replica wheels.

p.s. I'm not pushing for these wheels to be sold. I made a statement about them being for sale, but that is not the main point in this "worthless thread".

Good day.
          I didnt argue, nor state my opinion on the topic of real vs rep wheels. My opinion is exactly how mike see's it, and how many of the people who have been around here since the begining see it.

My comment (singular) on young people being cheap is directed to those who believe that its better to buy a set of reps for $300 as opposed to genuines worth $3000 because you save money. Its directed at those who dont understand the value of a quality product, those who dont see the point in waiting and saving money to buy something that means something, to buy a set of wheels and to pull them apart to rebuild them to suit your own personal application.

Majority of young people fall into that category.

As for you stating that the wheels were for sale, in bold mind you, I would assume that you wanted people to take notice of that fact. I dont know who you're trying to kid, This isn't my first rodeo. If I were you, I would let the thread play out and die, because it has already veered off its course.

I closed this thread, but Mike wanted to keep it open, so until he's ready, it will stay that way. But alas, after Mikes reply, what more needs to be said.
          Originally posted by anth
          Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

if you have rep wheels, your band from stanceworks.

build thread?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjones View Post
              you're*
              banned*
              Last edited by Oxer; 03-08-2013, 08:33 AM.
              Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                you're*
                banned*
                What do you expect from Jersey?
                Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                  you're*
                  banned*
                  Yore*
                  BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                  Originally posted by Ollie
                  We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

if you have rep wheels, you're banned from stanceworks. *fixed*
                    Guess I'm banned from stanceworks.... My love of cars obviously isn't as strong as others because I have reps, no matter how much I enjoy cars as long as I own a set of reps, I will never be a true automotive enthusiast.

Comment

Originally posted by skyhigh90210 View Post
                      Guess I'm banned from stanceworks.... My love of cars obviously isn't as strong as others because I have reps, no matter how much I enjoy cars as long as I own a set of reps, I will never be a true automotive enthusiast.
                      Yup, me too apparently.

1988 300zx-t

Comment

as in, they're on the bandwagon thats on the road to being cool but not quite there?

If so, I agree.
                        Originally posted by anth
                        Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Everyone arguing back and forth: There are two streets to this argument. Yes, quality is an important one. "You always get what you pay for" is not true - there are very cheap wheels that are built with quality and care, such as the folks at Enkei. There are expensive wheels that are built with no standards, such as Kranson. And there are countless wheels in between. Poorly engineered wheels fail, and chances are, if you're running replica wheels, they're not tested to a reasonable extent.

Cheap wheels =/= Bad wheels. There are great options at every price point.

What you guys should care about is supporting creative companies that push the industry forward - not the ones that rip them off. By supporting replica companies, you're starving the guys who designed, tested, and created the real thing. If you kill them off, we're left with nothing. Don't say "oh well I could never afford real LMs anyways so it's okay if I get fakes." Just because you can't afford real ones doesn't make it okay to support a company who stole the design. You're supporting thieves, you're supporting companies that hurt the integrity of the automotive aftermarket, which is something we all practically live in.

To say that buying replicas doesn't hurt the big guys is the most uninformed justification you could ever hope to make. Companies like Greddy/TRUST have gone through bankruptcy because of counterfeit companies. Mackin Industries, who are the great people behind names like Volk and Rays, have released statements that any distributors who carry replicas of their wheels will not be allowed to carry the real deal.

Companies like these are the people that innovate, create, and build the next big thing for the car scene each year. Stop supporting the idiots who are stealing these designs and passing them off to you in half-assed low-quality versions. Support these companies because they, whether you realize it or not, support you as well.

The guys at Volk support this forum by helping pay for the massive costs it takes to run this website. This forum is free for you guys to use - but at the end of the day, this site costs more to run than I think most of you might expect. If you support the knockoffs like Varstoen and Rota, you'll kill everything we've got.

Be real automotive enthusiasts. Save your pennies if you can't afford something. That's what your grandfather would tell you. Your father too. Buy the real thing - support quality and innovation. And **** off with your replica bullshit.

-Mike Borroughs

Period. End of Discussion!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Originally posted by E46ham View Post
                            To be fair there are good and bad reps but even genuine rims can fail.
                            To be fair the wheel in this photo is a magnesium wheel (search for issues with magnesium wheels - they are well documented).
                            That particular wheel failed on a Porsche race car on T5 at Summit Point, according to the owner, "which is the only low speed left turn on the track. Had it happened at the T3 or T8, which are both high speed left handers, it could have been ugly!"

These wheels had been beat on season after season in all sorts of weather and under very harsh conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
                              Cheap wheels =/= Bad wheels. There are great options at every price point.
                              Agree

To say that buying replicas doesn't hurt the big guys is the most uninformed justification you could ever hope to make. Companies like Greddy/TRUST have gone through bankruptcy because of counterfeit companies.
                              I only agree to this statement to an extent. GReddy/TRUST did file for bankruptcy but I'm hardpressed to believe that this was all due to counterfeit companies (or competition). By 2008 GReddy/TRUST had 60million in debt, which to me is more closely linked to a management/business issues.

Taking this example further, Rota has replicated Mugen, Works, Enkei, BBS, but I see all of these companies still flourishing, and not soon to become the next BestBuy who failed to see and adapt to a changing market place.

To each their own, but demand dictates that there are product offerings at all levels of the market, so buyers can choose to purchase whatever/wherever they want.

Be real automotive enthusiasts. Save your pennies if you can't afford something. That's what your grandfather would tell you. Your father too. Buy the real thing - support quality and innovation. And **** off with your replica bullshit.
                              Hrmm...This is an interesting one. So one can't be a real auto enthusiast unless they buy top shelf/name brand/"real"/bespoke products.

OK, lets be real. How many of us here have fixed somthing on our cars with a part that wasn't OEM? Let it be a fuse, a light bulb, a fuel pump, an air filter.

Do you all wear designer clothes or do you buy something that's a bit more affordable?

End of the day, I can buy a set of BBS if I wanted to, but I would rather diversify my spendings on my car and prioritize my money to other obligations in life. I can live in my house, and would rather not live in my car. I like that fact that I have product choices that lets me keep one of my many hobbies and interests alive.

Comment

Originally posted by mrx928 View Post
                                Agree

I only agree to this statement to an extent. GReddy/TRUST did file for bankruptcy but I'm hardpressed to believe that this was all due to counterfeit companies (or competition). By 2008 GReddy/TRUST had 60million in debt, which to me is more closely linked to a management/business issues.

Taking this example further, Rota has replicated Mugen, Works, Enkei, BBS, but I see all of these companies still flourishing, and not soon to become the next BestBuy who failed to see and adapt to a changing market place.

To each their own, but demand dictates that there are product offerings at all levels of the market, so buyers can choose to purchase whatever/wherever they want.

Hrmm...This is an interesting one. So one can't be a real auto enthusiast unless they buy top shelf/name brand/"real"/bespoke products.

OK, lets be real. How many of us here have fixed somthing on our cars with a part that wasn't OEM? Let it be a fuse, a light bulb, a fuel pump, an air filter.

Do you all wear designer clothes or do you buy something that's a bit more affordable?

End of the day, I can buy a set of BBS if I wanted to, but I would rather diversify my spendings on my car and prioritize my money to other obligations in life. I can live in my house, and would rather not live in my car. I like that fact that I have product choices that lets me keep one of my many hobbies and interests alive.

Yeah. But when you buy that cheaper alternative fuse, light bulb,fuel pump , air filter etc. They usually fail prematurely and you're left spending twice for a cheap aftermarket part as opposed to doing it right and buying the OEM part from the start. In the end this can be more costly than buying the real deal name brand part from the start. I know from experience I learned my lesson long ago that buying the cheaper alternative part is a big NO NO. Unlike designer cloths Where a shirt is a shirt , jeans are jeans. Sure the cheap walmart jeans might wear out faster than say 7 jeans. But hey. That again proves the point that REAL > FAKE.....
                                C280 Build Thread
                                C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                                E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Working...
                                X