No announcement yet.

1987 Monza Blue Mk2 Golf 16v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its been a weekend of no updates so heres where I'm at.

That was Friday evening. Then Saturday I took the rest of the wiring loom out and off the engine while labelling it all and a few bits that I had left on the car. And I was going to put the engine up on my engine stand but didn't have the right 12 point bit to get the pressure plate and flywheel bolts off.

Only a few problems so far. The bell housing was missing a bolt to the engine. and so was the gearbox mount brace, the plug for the reverse light switch was missing. Found the bare wires just tucked up in the loom. So someone has done a crap job of changing the clutch at some point in its life. And I found this.

A nice big crack in the bell housing. Not sure how far it extends. Might be able to get it welded up if it goes no further. Maybe they dropped it when changing the clutch? Who knows.

And today I went and bought some 12 point bits to take the clutch off. Looks pretty worn and the duel mass flywheel seems to have a lot of play in it. Pretty sure its not supposed to be like that. BIN!

Lots of cleaning to do now. Looks like the valve cover gasket has been leaking for a while.

Instragram: @lukeybabes

Comment

• Got the engine up on the stand and had a quick look over it. Seems ok. Can start stripping it down soon.

Massive bundle of wires behind it. Can't wait to get stuck in. Thats the entire loom out of the mk4. I didn't really need it all for the conversion. I just wanted a trace a couple of wires and its always good to have some nice long lengths of wire. Couldn't really believe that the loom is just one big lump. No connectors connecting the interior loom to the dash or anything so you can just replace one part if you needed to.

Also bought a CE1 digifant 8v engine loom.

Just for this one connector for the back of the fuse box. So I can use the original relay location on the fuse box for the ecu relay. Details

The gearbox isn't that badly cracked as I first thought. Looks like has been dropped when it was off for a clutch change or something.

So no biggie really. Could get it welded or something.
      Then I started looking into the gear ratios.
      I am ill at the moment so I spent basically all day researching gearbox codes and ratios trying to decide what I want. The box that came with the car is a EUH. Which apparently is a TDI gearbox. The only information I can find on it is on TDI forums etc. Bit strange. Must have been changed at some point.
      My friend offered me another gearbox cheap so I could replace the cracked bell housing. Cheaper than getting it welded I'm sure.
      But that tuned out to be an EVS code.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

EUH FD 3.389 1st 3.778 2nd 2.063 3rd 1.348 4th 0.967 5th 0.769

EVS FD 3.684 1st 3.300 2nd 1.944 3rd 1.308 4th 1.029 5th 0.837

So the EVS is the same ratios as the mk3 Golf GTI 16v gearbox and apparently is what ratios the later mk4 are meant to have. So now I'm not really sure which one to use. I'm leaning towards keeping the EUH because 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are very similar ratios as the EVS. Only 1 - 2 mph increase at 6000rpm on 2nd and 3rd and 1st is actually shorter. And then the 4th is longer and almost 20mph difference and 5th is 30mph difference.

I also compared it to the 02A CTN gearbox that everyone seems to like.

CTN FD 3.158 1st 3.778 2nd 2.118 3rd 1.360 4th 1.029 5th 0.755

Which is quite a bit taller on 2nd and 3rd than both of the other boxes and the same as the EVS on first and then on 4th its pretty much the same as the EUH and 5th is a lot longer than both

I want the car to feel lively in the lower gears and then be ok for cruising so I think the EUH will be the best of both. Also a theoretical top speed of 170. Not that I would dare go that fast in a mk2 on cheapy coilovers. [:s]

If anyone wants to suggest anything else, feel free. First time I've had to choose gear ratios, Can always change it easy enough if I don't like it on the road though. Expecting just to keep the engine standard with a basic remap for now. So 200hp 200lbft ish? That's the norm if I remember correctly.

Comment

• its not a track car go with the euh, also if you go big turbo in the long run its nicer to have the longer gears. i am putting the 5 speed 16v passat o2a in my gti which is stage 3. nothing worse when turbo charged cars run out of gear. keep up the good work i look forward to seeing your progress.
        Dubber from the PNW
        Build Thread:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39429
        Daily Thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39066

Comment

• Oh yeah the ASD box. Someone on another forum just suggested that to me. Would be way to long for my engine in standard form.

Comment

• if i could do mine over again i wouldn't have ripped out everything and kept the car together....
            Dubber from the PNW

Comment

• What do you mean?

Comment

• i took the whole car apart to paint it.....decided against paint. now its the long process of putting the entire car back together opposed to having everything mint like your amazing car.

Dubber from the PNW

Comment

• Oh right. I will be doing that at some point. Probably after the conversion though. Full bare shell respray is defiantly on the cards.

Comment

• Very very nice MK2!

What was your way to polish the RS lips ?

Comment

• Love the color and everything you have done to it.

- 1987 Jetta coupe: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ht=jetta+coupe
                      - 1969 volvo 121
                      - 1978 volvo 245

Comment

• Originally posted by Viewty View Post
                        Very very nice MK2!

What was your way to polish the RS lips ?
                        Bench grinder, a polishing wheel and a few days. lol

Originally posted by Rayma View Post
                        Love the color and everything you have done to it.
                        Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeyBabes View Post
                          Bench grinder, a polishing wheel and a few days. lol

Thanks!
                          Yeah but what i mean is what type of polishing products you used ?

Comment

• Green with a closed stitch mop and then blue with a loose mop.

Comment

• Started stripping down the engine for a few health checks. Might leave the bottom end together if the bores are ok though, as I had no knocking or oil pressure problems. Hopefully I can get to the oil squirters without taking the crank out. I hear they are notorious for sludging up on 1.8Ts. We will see.
                              Didn't have the right tool for the head bolts (Long Ribe bit 10mm) so had to call it a day at this. Managed to get it pretty stripped though. And I had to go grab my mates compression tester before I pulled the head anyway.

To undo the crank pulley bolt I had to drag the engine outside and drop the mk4 onto the stand to stop it moving. That bolt is tight!. Block of wood to stop the crank moving ftw.

Also cut this off of the mk4 after the RAC man gave me shit for my big bumper towing eye a few months ago. Couldn't get his hook on it since it's tucked right up flush with the bumper plastic. So I think I will try and fit the threaded boss from the mk4 onto the mk2.

And lastly I traced a few final wires. Most of them not need I was just curious what they did. And then cut the gear tower hole out of the mk4 incase I need the bracket or at least measure them.

Comment

• Oil strainer is a little dirty. Couple of orange bits. Maybe parts of an old dipstick holder. Another bit to buy. New oil strainer.

Not much metallic material though. Rubbed a magnet around in it and only this came out. This is all tiny powdery bits that I grouped together.

While I was turning the engine over I could hear air leaking. I'm pretty sure its coming from the piston rings. It's consistent on all cylinders, the engine ran fine and it feels alright turning it over by hand. But want another opinion as i'm not sure if this is normal, have a look at the video, linked below.

VIDEO LINK

I did put my friends compression tester on it and turned it over by hand, so I was never going to get high readings. But again they were all consistent.

Comment

Working...
                                X