The Free BBS Restoration:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Free BBS Restoration:

Got some work done on one wheel today. Wanted to check how bad the lip is.
    Before:

During:

After:

Anybody got advice for the pitting? Am I just gonna have to have them re-polished?

Another picture:

Also, suspension is on. Washing the car again and taking pictures. It should be settled by then.
    Tumblr
    Website (Still under construction)

Looks like chrome not polished, so re-polishing might clean up but to fix you are going to have to re-chrome them I would strip the shit out of the chrome then paint silver like BBS or strip the chrome then polish the shit out of them, easy repairs next time around
    WTB
    Manaray MS6 Center Caps

'95 Z32 3.0TT LHD T-Top .:. Cruiser
    '16 F450 6.7T Lariat Ult. .:. Tow-Rig
    IG: @AllGoNShow / @TurboJInc

Comment

Thanks. Yeah I'm thinking about just stripping them and re-polishing.

May have scored them for free but I guess after repairing them I'll end up around the cost of a set of replicas lol.
      Tumblr

Comment

sadly, that is chrome, not polished. you can't just strip chrome and polish it, so that option is out. you either have to (1) have them rechromed, (2) have them dechromed, then polish (expensive process) or (3) clean up the flaking/pitting and paint over the chroms.

good luck!
        025garage

Comment

Originally posted by motocaddy View Post
          sadly, that is chrome, not polished. you can't just strip chrome and polish it, so that option is out. you either have to (1) have them rechromed, (2) have them dechromed, then polish (expensive process) or (3) clean up the flaking/pitting and paint over the chroms.

good luck!
          This is all valid; OP I would take that wheel to a tire shop and ask if they can see if it will balance (big dent/rash), it would suck to put work/money into a wheel only to have it need to be fixed (could damage whatever finish process you go with).

Comment

Wow. Can you come do your free restoration on my whole car?
            @clay_mation

Comment

free restoration = washing them? im a little lost at where this is going
              sigpic
              1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
              1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                free restoration = washing them? im a little lost at where this is going
                Pretty sure he's saying he got them for free... Chromes a pain in the dick to deal with, good luck.

Comment

haha, i had a feeling that was the point. yeah good luck with the chrome, they are going to need to be de-chromed to make it worthwhile to do anything further to them unfortunately
                  sigpic
                  1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                  1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Well thankfully I just sold 2 old shitty paintball guns and have enough to have the lip repaired on Monday when PayPal comes through. After the lip is fixed, I'm going to have them hit my wheels with their cleaning products which presumably are much more effective than my Mother's Polish and microfiber rags.

Also, took a shitload of pictures today of the car these are going on. I'll post them tomorrow.
                    Tumblr

Comment

Well, I can't take pictures of my own car to save my life.

Tumblr

Comment

^ Those aren't bad shots. Pretty sweet angles, just need that right set of wheels & suspension set-up bro.

Comment

If you get them chemically stripped and want to powder coat them, make sure they de-gas the wheels in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes before powder coating.

Comment

Originally posted by SeeClass View Post
                            If you get them chemically stripped and want to powder coat them, make sure they de-gas the wheels in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes before powder coating.
                            Would've had no idea to do this. Thanks.
                            Tumblr

Comment

I had a really clean set of chrome RX about 6 months ago. I used one of the power cones and some chrome cleaner/polish such as Gords with great success. If you want to keep them chrome they're definitely salvageable to some extent.
                              How I got them:

After round one of cleaning and polishing:

Comment

Working...
                              X