Project Second Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Second Hand

So here's the story behind this car. I purchased it with funds from a previous vehicle sale. I will only commit the money I gained from the sale to cover mods, registration, title, etc. That being the case, I really can't afford to buy anything new. This means that all parts will be secondhand since everything will be previously used or at least initially purchased by someone else. That's how I came up with the name. Anyway, the car is a white with tan interior 1996 SW2 5spd power windows/locks with 211k on the clock. It runs like a champ but it was sitting for a while before I found it so there are some things to be addressed. The PO provided a stack of maintenance receipts with my purchase so I feel that I got a nice deal. The first thing I found was the A/C didn't work. A little time showed a split refrigerant line. I replaced the line and charged the system, now I have cold a/c. The other issue was a leaky cam cover gasket. I figured that while the top was off, might as well do some preventative maintenance so I also replaced the thermostat and water pump. Next up is an oil change. Then I'll get to mods. I'll keep this updated as I chug along. Here's the car:

I did a little cleaning inside:

I took these out a few days ago:

So the car sat like this:

After a little begging, borrowing, wheeling and dealing, I pulled these off a friend's car:

I installed them this afternoon but still no wheels. I was curious how low they would go so I slapped these on the wagon.

Here's the wheel level w/ the bottom of the frame:

Full vehicle weight on wheel. If I had a spacer or a properly fitted wheel I could go a little lower. There is still about an inch of threading on the shock body that I can't use because the wheel hit the coil:

Some camber, not lots:

Front:

Very little camber here too:

That's where I am for now. Everyone is pretty much caught up. I don't see myself doing a large lipped wheel or going out of hand with the camber as I still have to drive this everywhere in all weather but I will provide updates as they come. Feedback is welcome.

definitely headed in the right direction! I'll be following this build for sure lol. I've got a 2nd gen sedan.

and I'm also using mostly second hand parts on mine as well. are those amr coilovers? any plans for wheels?

good luck with the build!
    1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
    1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

wow, gonna be fun to see

Comment

Thanks. No AMRs here. These are Carreras. The little I've seen of them in action is very impressive. I can't wait to get my wheels on the car and go for a spin. I'm going with something a little different from the mesh wheel. I'll be sure to share when they get back from the powdercoater. I'm still trying to figure out the right spacer for the rear because it looks like there may be some contact. Unfortunately, I didn't test them before I sent them off.

Random: Your car looks great, what size wheels do you have on there?
        Last edited by stance?; 08-15-2012, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I own a 2002 Saturn SC2, galaxy silver too! I'll be follow this! what car did you pull those coilovers off of out of curiosity?
          IG: @kyle_eagleton

Comment

Should be interesting to watch. I love low buck builds.

I did one myself with a similar title-
            http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...and-snake.html

Best of luck with the build!
            I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Comment

Originally posted by AmnKyle@911th View Post
              I own a 2002 Saturn SC2, galaxy silver too! I'll be follow this! what car did you pull those coilovers off of out of curiosity?
              They came off a 1st gen SL2

Originally posted by wickedsnake00 View Post
              Should be interesting to watch. I love low buck builds.

I did one myself with a similar title-
              http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...and-snake.html

Best of luck with the build!
              Thanks. So far much more positive feedback than I expected. Hopefully I'll get to pick up my wheels and a set of tires tomorrow

Comment

Moar updates!!

Got them from the powdercoater, Hooray!!!

Before:

Today:

I didn't remove the plastic for this reason:

The front will be perfect

I am pumped! The wheels turned out perfect. Can't wait to get my tires mounted and put the car on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by stance? View Post
                  Thanks. No AMRs here. These are Carreras. The little I've seen of them in action is very impressive. I can't wait to get my wheels on the car and go for a spin. I'm going with something a little different from the mesh wheel. I'll be sure to share when they get back from the powdercoater. I'm still trying to figure out the right spacer for the rear because it looks like there may be some contact. Unfortunately, I didn't test them before I sent them off.

Random: Your car looks great, what size wheels do you have on there?
                  thanks! 16", 8 wide in the back 35 offset, and 7 in the front 32 offset both have adapters tho.

new wheels look good! can't wait to see them with tires and on the car. are you going to try and get the black saturn emblems? they'd go good with your wheels

Comment

I finally got it on the ground and rolling around. I didn't want to take pics since it was sitting in my garage for almost a month just collecting dust while I toyed with various things. As you guys saw earlier, I got my wheels. I finally got the dust knocked off and got the car aligned.

Problem #1: They are too big to go super low

Problem #2: My tires are too wide to go super low

Problem #3: The offset is still pretty high (+42) so until I change wheels or get some 20mm or higher spacers, I HAVE to run very high camber in the rear (-3.5* avg) to keep from rubbing. This also means I have to keep the collar above the tire which means no super low.

All this equals a lot of issues that I just can't get around on my budget. This forces me to "make do" with a nice drop, killer handling and a sporty but not extreme appearance.

On the plus side, I did get the spec ed. black badges to clean things up a bit. On to pics:

As always, comments, questions and constructive criticism is welcome. Cheers!

Comment

black badges look awesome! totally a storm trooper car now. those certainly don't seem like 18's, look more like 17's. looks pretty spot on tho! I'd tint the side marker at the front, clean the headlights and gladly run around town like that! you might be able to trade for smaller wheels, know its a budget build and all.

Comment

Thanks! I'm thinking about smoking the tails and side marker to finish it off. I sort of have to keep the wheels since they were given to me on the condition that I reconditioned them. The powdercoat turned out great and maybe a 205/40 tire or a 215/35 might work.

Comment

Man where are all the Saturn's coming from hahaha car looks like its moving in the right direction

Comment

you need a 215-35-18 tire

Comment

Originally posted by stance? View Post
                              Thanks! I'm thinking about smoking the tails and side marker to finish it off. I sort of have to keep the wheels since they were given to me on the condition that I reconditioned them. The powdercoat turned out great and maybe a 205/40 tire or a 215/35 might work.
                              no. no no. nononononononono don't smoke the tails.
                              Originally posted by blowntwofive View Post
                              you need a 215-35-18 tire
                              Personally, I think the wheels are too big. 16's would probably fit best just to get your ride height down a bit since it looks kinda high now. Cool wagon though.

Comment

Working...
                              X