No announcement yet.

19birel's Silber-Grau BMW E60 Progression Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never tried to fix rash, but I think I see a lot of people using that metal epoxy putty with very good results.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
      I have never tried to fix rash, but I think I see a lot of people using that metal epoxy putty with very good results.
      I think I have some of that laying around from another project, I'll give it a try for sure.

So my plan was to be mostly done with sanding by now, but I was assigned a project due during my break so that ate up most of my time, as has this.

2016 GTI S 6MT w/9.5k miles, my dad's new project car that I'm helping with. I'll be documenting this build with some videos on my YouTube channel so subscribe HERE If you're interested.

Anyways, one of the wheels has a crack that needs welded, but I wanted it sanded before I dropped it off so I attacked it pretty hard today haha

Before

An hour or so later

It's about 95% done, just needs some touchups. The wheel should be done by early next week, so come friday my goal is to lay some primer. Just gotta get the other two sanded!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
      "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
      SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

So finally an exciting wheel update! They're painted!

Got the cracked wheel back, and my buddy knocked it out of the park. Fixed the crack and even the chunk that was missing from the inner lip!

His shop is called Twisted Iron Fab, in western PA. If you need an fab work done, AJ is the guy to go to.

After sanding I had a go at fixing the curb rash, for the smaller imperfections I just used bondo

For the bigger stuff I used metal infused epoxy putty which worked a treat

Then I masked everything up and hit them with some primer

Got ready to spray the Duplicolor Hyper silver paint, but I think it was a bad batch or something because it simply would not come out of the can consistently and ended up with a blotchy mess

I'd like to think i'm pretty good with a rattle can, but things were going downhill fast so I rummaged around the garage and found an ancient can of VW Reflex Silver. It didn't have much pressure but sprayed much nicer than the other stuff allowing me to bring it back into the realm of acceptability.

After a coat of reflex. (after Left, Before Right)

Just before applying clear

Finished result

Considering this is my first refinish I'm satisfied with how they came out, if you look closely there are some minor imperfections but overall nothing I can't live with. I put about 3 coats of Duplicolor Clear Effex metallic on each wheel and in the sun it pops nicely, after some touchup work I'll take them outside for some proper pics with the real camera to better illustrate that. Tyres should be ordered sometime this week so they should be on the car soon!

Random instagram pic of the centers (which need resprayed because a gust of wind blew dirt in the clear right after this lol)
        Last edited by 19birel; 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

damn dude, those wheels look great in the pics. Cant wait to see them mounted up
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

damn dude, those wheels look great in the pics. Cant wait to see them mounted up
            Thanks! First set of decent wheels I've ever had on any car so I'm stoked.

Comment

So yesterday I finally got the wheels on, tyres are Nokian Z-Line 245/40/18. I love the way the color came out against the cars paint,it's a subtle difference, but looks more stealth than the typical hyper silver IMO. Also with the lower profile, wider tyres (the stocks were skinny 225s) the car feels more planted and less floaty. Any ways here are some pics I just shot her, lmk what you think!

I think I might throw some spacers on the rear at some point, but for now I'm pretty satisfied.

Comment

So when I got the wheels, they came with 3 hub-centric rings, I didn't think much of it. I ordered another set from ECS but they looked a little cheap and didn't fit well, so I ended up reusing the 3 I had and only used one ecs ring and of course there was some vibration. Ordered another set from amazon, and same deal. Did a couple measurements, and it turns out that for the AC Schnitzer wheels Ronal used a massive 82mm center bore and the appropriate rings are hard to find. If anyone has a set of red 72.5 to 82mm AC Schnitzer hub centric rings, let me know! For the time being though, this is what I've done to try and mitigate the vibrations as much as possible

wrapped the ECS one with electrical tape and threw it back on

This will have to do until I find a set of rings, I put about 25 miles on the car like that today and it felt fine so hopefully they hold up for a while.

Comment

Nice car and nice wheels but they are definitely too small for the size of the car, I think the e60 needs 20s

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                    Nice car and nice wheels but they are definitely too small for the size of the car, I think the e60 needs 20s
                    Thanks!

As far as wheel size goes, I didn't want to sacrifice ride quality too much as I put a lot of miles on this car and drive on some pretty bad roads. In the future I might consider going to 19s, but for now I'm pleased I think they still look better than my old 17s haha. The goal is to keep an OEM+ look with it for now.

Comment

I think some spacers, and a little lower will make it perfect oem+
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I think some spacers, and a little lower will make it perfect oem+
                        I agree, the car will be lowered once I get around to refreshing the suspension. The setup I plan on getting will be slightly lower than OEM sport suspension (my car doesn't have this) and it's only 10% stiffer which is the same as OEM sport as well. Rear spacers will come as well too maybe 10mm or so

Next up will be tackling all the maintenance that I deferred over winter tho haha

Comment

Working...
                        X