No announcement yet.

Stretched tire horror stories.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got experience with 225/35/17s on 10x17s? I run these tires currently on 9.5s but I'm looking to perhaps getting a diff set of wheels so I can split my BBS and re-work them. I'm looking at staggered sets of 8.5s and 10s.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

how long until tire manufacturers start making slant sidewall tires ? or cone shaped tires for alot of camber ???

Comment

Tire Quality

Don't let the memes fool you. It's about the pressure and tire quality.

Here is a Kuhmo 215-35/18 on a 18x7.5" wheel with less than 10K miles that split on the highway at 70 MPH.

I won't be surprised if someone scraps this image and makes the meme, "Stretched Tires [insert joke thought to be clever but shows how people will laugh at anything]".

Comment

is that fix-a-flat spewing out all over ?

Comment

that sucks
            Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Hi All!
              i'm a little new to S/W, very new to 'stratched tyres', but not new to low by anyone's definition.

On my low 69 Benz 6.3, I've just bought some 16 x 9 Ronal r9s. Fit will be tight.....I'm thinking 225/45/16.....does this even count as a stretch? Is there any action 'stretching' the tyre, or is it just a description of the fitment?

Anyone got a source in Melbourne, Aust??
              52 Ford f1
              62 Pontiac Bonneville
              69 300SEL6.3 x 2

Comment

Originally posted by vinhvle View Post

Here is a Kuhmo 215-35/18 on a 18x7.5" wheel with less than 10K miles that split on the highway at 70 MPH.

I won't be surprised if someone scraps this image and makes the meme, "Stretched Tires [insert joke thought to be clever but shows how people will laugh at anything]".

looks like the inside edge of your tread is completely bald...

Comment

After I pulled over I filled it with Slime because I thought I had a hole. After I drove 15 feet, I realized that it was still flat and the tire sealant didn't work.

The front has -3.5 degrees of camber. I took off one of the rear tires a couple of weeks ago, and the tech said he didn't think it was safe to mount it because there were stretch marks on the inside and outside of the middle of the tire (seen below).

This was on the rear with neutral camber so the problem doesn't seem related to camber or front and rear axle placement. The shop manager [of Ultimate Audio in Orlando] said he sees this problem frequently with Kuhmo tires.

Originally posted by V8Finny View Post
                  Hi All!
                  i'm a little new to S/W, very new to 'stratched tyres', but not new to low by anyone's definition.

On my low 69 Benz 6.3, I've just bought some 16 x 9 Ronal r9s. Fit will be tight.....I'm thinking 225/45/16.....does this even count as a stretch? Is there any action 'stretching' the tyre, or is it just a description of the fitment?

Anyone got a source in Melbourne, Aust??
                  225/45s would not be stretched IMO. I had 225/40s on 18x9s.

Then I went to 225/35s (the fronts are 225/35, the rears are 215/35s).

Last edited by vinhvle; 09-08-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinhvle View Post

215/35 is not stretched at all on a 7.5J rim.

Comment

do yall think a 255/40 on a 13j wheel is moderately sane?

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Kid View Post
                        do yall think a 255/40 on a 13j wheel is moderately sane?
                        No, that is pushing it man, I would definitely suggest at least 275.

Comment

no problems. any time I've heard a stretch horro story i cant help but think there is something under it, air pressure drops or raises its going to cause a problem a lot faster in a stretched tire, or if you are rubbing on the sidewall it will blow out a lot faster on a stretched tire. none the less I've autocorssed (not these) stretched tires drove hard on back roads. never a issue.
                          doing it for the internet and the scene kids.

Comment

Just had a 215/35R19 un bead itself on 9" wide wheels on the freeway. No big deal, pulled over and puton a spare until I can get it redone. It was on for a few hours before it happened, probably didn't use enough bead glue honestly
                            Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

205/40 Falken 912's on my 8" and 9" wheels. 20,000 miles and counting. 0 Issues. PSI at 45. Max on sidewall is 50.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

I also want to add that those tires have been mounted 4 times
                                Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

Working...
                                X