I finally moved the truck in to the "shop" today. Plenty of room to work on it and start diving in... or rather walking down the steps in to the shallow end.
I wanted to start visualizing where i want the truck to be in the end. While it's a far cry from what I see in my head, I figured I'd at least do what I could at the moment for some motivation.
I pulled off the bed-
and then the bed riser-
To get the final look I want out of the truck, I want to move the cab back. Before doing so, I marked where it was initially.
Then I measured back 6.5", the amount I currently plan on shortening the bed. I came to this amount by measuring from the front end of the bed to the first "post slot". Seems like a good line to go with, and moves the cab back closer to the rear wheel, which I like.
Cab moved back-
I then put the bed back on the truck for now (held in place by the tow strap for now). this way I can start visualizing things. (I'm a visual person)
The first thing I wanted to tackle was the doors. I have no hinges and both doors are were held on with duct tape from the previous owner.
Re-cast hinges for these cars run about $400. Not wanting to spend that much money on something so stupid, I figured I'd tackle it myself.
I started with some heavy duty hinges:
And then I cut them in half which was proportionately perfect for the A. The pins are attached to the one side, so they don't come apart as is.
Marking out where I want to recess the hinge:
Prepping to cut:
chop chop! (hey that's me!)
test fit: (which was later revised as the center of the hinge pin is too close to the body to pivot correctly with the door installed, but I didn't take a later pic:
Obviously the lower hinges have to sit way off the body in order to function properly and sit in line with the upper hinge, so I had to modify the lower one by extending it:
First actual weld ever:
Lining up the hinges and marking my cuts for the lower hinge:
Tacked in and the other side extended (my 2nd ever weld)
Progress of grinding them smooth again (not complete)
And both hinges done and tacked in place. The door functions great, pretty pleased with the outcome. My first time actually fabricating anything like this.
I need to go in and fill the gap on the top hinge and then weld them in to place once I am sure everything works well and the hinging function is smooth with the door on.
As said in the beginning, I'm totally new to the fabricating thing, so don't go too hard on me. Lots of learning to go!