Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MKIV TDI That Ruined My Life (AKA The Turdbo Diesel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MKIV TDI That Ruined My Life (AKA The Turdbo Diesel)

Hey everyone, im Robb. im new to the lowered car thing but i flip cars on the side for cash and have had my share of stupid low cars. i grew up in North Georgia. if you've ever been to SOWO you probably saw my jeep there. yes 2014 i was the guy who blew up his rear driveshaft. currently i live on Whidbey island in Washington

you can follow the build on instagram

Golf: the_turdbo_diesel
    personal: flexyjeeper

currently i have three cars

1994 Jeep YJ 4.0L 5spd (still in GA)

2009 F150 4x4 Mega Crew

but into the good stuff.

after flipping a good number of cars i had raised a significant amount of money. enough to buy something that would get good mileage. i was looking for something that got decent gas mileage, comfortable, and cool. so i was looking for 70's Mercedes. one day i did a filtered search for diesels under $4500 on Craigslist and i saw a few MKIV TDI. i had completely forgotten about them! after some research i was hooked and wanted one. i knew what i wanted and that was a MKIV TDI 5spd/2dr and ONLY a MKIV 5spd/2dr would suffice. there were a few that were in my area but they had always sold right before i contacted the seller. i looked everywhere from Vancouver to Portland. until one day i turned the filters off and just searched TDI, i found one in Tacoma that i hadn't seen before because under fuel it was marked as "gas" i texted the owner that night, called him the next morning, and picked it up that night.

the seller had said the motor and turbo had 4k on rebuild, 25k on clutch, TB/WP 25k, 15k on raceland coilovers. seats have been swapped out with leather heated seats (not hooked up yet) and GLI steering wheel.

i was a little on the edge because the rebuild was dont by his buddy on the side who was "An Audi Tech" but i shrugged it off because it was literally the only car that met my criteria, and i just wanted one. i know racelands are shit. one is already blown. thats on the list.

the day after i bought it:

its rough but i thought it had potential.

when i first got it it had a boost leak. the PO said it was just how they sould but i've owned turbo cars and i know what they are supposed to sound like, i knew it would be something simple so i tore it apart and found this

the factory ring has slid back and the hose from the pancake pipe to the inter cooler was loose. i kicked it and it literally fell off. the hose had a small pin hole so i replaced it and put some T clamps on it. all better.

im always looking for deals on cars i can flip so i was checking the local facebook pages and found a 2000 Jetta 1.8t with blown turbo for $800. it was being sold by a girl and the car was sitting on long beaches. they wernt in the best of shape but they were better then my steelies. i told her that for $800 it wouldn't really matter what wheels were on it and she agreed then i told her i would trade her my steelies p;us $75 for the long beaches. this was 10pm. i got to her apartment at 11pm and it took me an hour to swap out the wheels. the car was sitting in the back corner of this really sketchy apartment complex and she kept asking me "how much longer it would be?" every minutes and that "her husband would be home soon". what the fuck? right? this area has a bad Heroin problem so it would surprise me if she was a tweeker selling a car that wasnt hers. oh well its been 2 months and i haven't gotten arrested for possession of stolen wheels yet.

after the wheels and a good clean:

about a week and a half of ownership and about 2k miles later the "motor rebuilt by my buddy who is an Audi Tech" gave up. it was running flawlessly up until 5 minutes before it gave out. i was sitting at a red light and it was shaking and had a really muffled knock. kind of like the sound of someone punching a pillow. it was fine when i reved the motor some. i pulled over to investigate and as soon as i put a foot on the ground it died. motor was seized.

towed the car back to my place behind my truck and pulled the valve cover. the cam and one of the pieces under the cam that pushed the valves looked like they had been chewed on by a dog. it want the cause of the problem but it tells be it was a shitty rebuild as these parts should have never gone back into the motor. the timing was still good and we were able to get the crank freed. fired it up and there was a loud clanking. the "Audi Tech" must not have noticed one of the valves was cracked and reused it. or so we think. havent actually pulled the head off yet.

ALH motors are not cheap but i found one 2hrs north in Vancouver Canada for the equivalent of $650 USD. it was from a 2000 jetta 5spd with 190k the guy i bought it from had it for 3 years before it got rear ended he bought it back to fix it but then found out how hard of a process it was going to be to get it legal and decided to part it out. this motor has never been rebuilt and seems to have been maintained well, had 30k on timing belt and had the correct coolant in it. coming across the boarder i told them it was for a 87 rabbit because if the whole 25 years thing. they let me drive across no problem.

i was a little low on funds at this time so i had to park it and daily my truck until i could afford the install kits and all the TTY bolts that are one time used only. in the meantime i stored the motor in my golf. for about 2 weeks it was a 8 cylinder twin turbo. (kind of).

riding calli' with the extra weight:

finally money was saved and parts were ordered. thanks to cascade German for getting me my parts ultra fast (like next day). i had a box full of boxes with words i dont understand.

and then the day came. i used a tow bar to tow it behind my truck to a buddies shop. we started monday morning and finished tuesday night.

runs like a top now, no check engine light but there was a code that showed up on vagcom for the ASV not working. its probably wiring but i'll look into that on my next off day.

i left my grill at my buddies shop so im badgless and unfabulous. but here it is cleaned up as it sits now.

i want to get a good buffer and give it a good we tsand, buff, and wax. there's bad watermarks on the car i know i can get out with a buffer, you can kind of see them under the window.

sorry for the long first post. i swear there will be more pictures from now on!
    Last edited by FlexYJeeper; 03-24-2017, 11:58 PM.

Current specs:
    - Single Mass Flywheel
    - VR6 Clutch
    - Raceland Coil overs

Future (not in order):
    - Upgraded Injectors
    - 3in Stainless Turbo Back Straight Pipe
    - Possibly Evry Mod
    - 18in Wheels
    - D2 Coils
    - 1in Motor Mount Lift
    - Panzar Plate Skid
    - R32 Front Bumper
    - R32 Side Skirts
    - R32 rear spoiler
    - 20th Anniversary Rear Bumper Valance
    - Window Tint
    - New windshield
    - New carpet
    - Headliner
    - Neuspeed Sway Bars

plus more i cant think of

eventually car will get fresh paint.

Comment

Nice
      I was looking to buy a MKII, but there's nothing up here (currently living in Edmonton, AB), so I've decided to go with a MKIV GTI - looking at one right now, same colour as yours.

Looking forward to your work/progress
      Cheers

Don't tell me life is so short, what have you done that's longer?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk View Post
        Nice
        I was looking to buy a MKII, but there's nothing up here (currently living in Edmonton, AB), so I've decided to go with a MKIV GTI - looking at one right now, same colour as yours.

Looking forward to your work/progress
        Cheers
        hopefully you found something!

small update, been very busy with work and haven gotten to do much. the biggest eye sore of this car is the paint so yesterday i figured id try my hand at repainting the hood and see how i did, if it came out alright i might consider doing the whole car myself.it also gave me a chance to get rid of the notch for the emblem on the hood. ive never done body work on a car before so try not to roast me too bad, any advice greatly appreciated.

i shaped up the notch fill and sanded the hood with 400 grit. 20ft away doesnt look too bad

5ft away still not too bad

up close, hey this might actually come out alright

i prepped the hood and sprayed it earlier today with primer. one of the guys i work with is borrowing my truck so the golf is my only mode of transportation. took it out for lunch. you get odd looks driving with no hood.

Comment

Looking good Rob. You gotta get those rear bushings that put the rear wheels in the right place. And get some nice wheels!

Comment

sorry i havent updated in awhile, got really busy and the photobucket scandal got me down. luckily there's a add-on for firefox and chrome that fixes all the embedded photos!

the car continues to run strong and seems to be reliable. its hard ro tell from some of the pics because i try my best to hide it, but my body is in really rough shape, peeling paint, dents, scraps, etc.

the undercarriage looks like the jacking points were chosen by helen keller. not to mention this car doesnt have options that i find useful. its non power windows, manual mirrors, non sunroof, as basic as it can get. not to mention while my car was on the lift while i was changing the oil i noticed the rear pass side shock was not bolted correctly. upon further investigation it looks like one of the bolts backed out and then the other side got ripped out of the tower

this is not good.

ive been hawking a VR6 that was about an hour away for the swap. the car has great paint besides some cracking on the front bumper, and has all the options i want. (climatronic, Power windows, power mirrors, sunroof, etc) ive messaged the seller some after the last 2 months and they wouldnt come down from $900 for the car with a blown VR6 (hole in block). after 2 months i ask to see the car in person and put some cash in their face and got it for what i consider a more reasonable price. im picking up the car tomorrow morning and will have more on it then. here a picture.

im very excited for the swap but the wiring i know is going to overwhelm me. luckily a user on here lives near me and has done this same swap. it took him 4 8-10 hour days. he's also the same user that saved me on the motor swap. could not have done it without him and his knowledge of the TDI. i may have to get together with him to help me figure out the wiring. i truly think i am over thinking it but after reading lagomorphs's thread of a ALH swapped wagon im a little on edge. his seemed like a nightmare.

oh well. if all goes wrong i'll take lots of pictures. sucess is okay... but EVERYONE loves fire.

i'll try to get a better walk through and new pictures of the black car tomorrow.

Comment

got the VR6 home today and started tearing into it, the body could use a good clay bar, wet sand, and polish but im happy with it. no flaking or peeling paint.

and the tear down begins...

now everyone knows that VAG cars ONLY use red/pink G12 coolant. lets see what we get....

honestly not even surprised. this car has residue all over it where someone went crazy in auto zone and put stick on hood scoop, stick on chrome side vents, even chrome edged the rear hatch. no surprise it didn't have the right coolant

i threw the front radiator support back on before i remembered to take a pic. i have to keep the car looking like it runs or else the MA's give me a hard time. but the wiring harness is off, power steering is off, coolant hoses disconnected, power steering lines off, AC lines off, exhaust, shift linkages, slave cylinder, really all i have left is the CV axles the the motor is ready to come out. i cant get it into the shop until next weekend and i start working 1030pm to 8am tonight for the next 5 days so i will proibably sleep all day tomorrow. this week id like to get the CV axles out and pull the Fuel system

Comment

ive been working mids shift this past week getting off at 8am then sleeping till 4pm doesnt give me much daylight to work but im still getting little bits done.

yesterday i took a break from destruction and decided to throw on some function and Form coilovers on the rear that i had from a part out. i want to get BC's eventually but these are better than the racelands that are on the blue car. i have to get some special tools to get the fronts off so until them its sittin cali.

stock vs new

after a little insight from Robert i pulled the harness that controls the injectors that goes to the ECU, i also pulled the 5 plugs that go through the firewall but the harness goes to the pass side so i need to trace it and see what it goes to.

on a side note when i pulled the tray under the wipers i was greeted buy 1cm of sludge. im looking forward to getting the motor out and being able to thoroughly clean the engine bay. i wanted to do this in the blue car when we did the swap but time was not of the essence.

motor comes out of the black car tomorrow!

Comment

been busy working on the car and haven't updated.

Saturday was my Friday and since i was working mids shift i got off at 8am and went to sleep for 4 hours. got up at 12 and me and a buddy hooked the black car up and towed it to the shop to yank the motor.

about 45mins in:

motor pulled and everything cleaned up

picture of the VR6 carnage

^funny story, when i went to look at the the AD said "cranks but does not start) then when i got there the guy told me he was merging off the interstate and it just quit running. my best guess is he hit 2nd gear instead of 4th.

Sunday i pulled the rest of the VR6 wiring harness,installed the front coil overs, and started investigating the fuel tank situation. looks like im going and try to keep the VR6 tank.

engine bay all stripped

also spent a solid 2 hours with a water hose, scotch brite pad, and 4 bottles of super clean cleaning the engine bay

now the front is sitting lower with the coils. im kind of bummed, the function and form coils didnt get as low as i wanted. i like the height of my blue car for a daily. guess i'll be saving more to get BC coils soon. i also threw on a set of long beaches i had because the Subaru wheels were the wrong bore and getting them on and off was pissing me off. these look better anyway.

pick for comparison

today (Monday) i decided to take a break and go check out a junkyard i have never been to. i heard they had a few MK4 golfs and i was hoping to find a black hood, black driver side fender and maybe a TDI wiring harness to help keep me TDI-less for as little time possible.. HUGE disappointment, thy had one golf there and it was trashed. and they had 2 TDI but some one had hacked up the wiring harness bad trying to pull the IP's out of them. so on my way back i stopped by my favorite junkyard (like running motor for $100 CHEAP) and found a drivers door card is perfect shape. the sunroof drain on mine clogged and caused the door card to rot out because its just cardboard

new one

tomorrow i was planning on going to another junkyard i like and pulling the wiring harness out of a TDI i know will be good but instead im going with a friend to help him pick up a jetta wagon he'd TDI swapping. really excited to see it get finished! but probably wont get much done for the next week as im working day shift and it gets really dark here early
                  Last edited by FlexYJeeper; 10-16-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

well luckily i have a whole nother shell to swap this motor into. just finished Wednesday of the absolute worst work week ive ever had. on my way home after a long drive to clear my head this huge ass deer walks out in front of my car and like that 1.5 tons of German steel smashes into said deer. my freshly refinished passenger side OEM GTI headlight smashed, fender tweaked and smashed, and front passenger fender bent in. worst part is i was actually going to use these headlights on the black car, along with the hood because the one on the black car is dented up. after taking the blue paint off the black cars headlights i found that the passenger side light is not actually a GTI light. it was swapped at some point for a standard golf headlight.

FUCK ME.

i would say that at this point my week cant get any worse, but i really dont want to find out what can happen in the next 2 days.

Comment

Working...
                    X