Euro Spec Kouki Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro Spec Kouki Silvia

So thought I would start a project thread so I have a place to keep track of my build,

First of let me introduce myself, Im Nick, Living in a small town on the westcoast of

Norway,been working on cars for as long as i can remember, Had a few cars before this

one including a W124 merc, a VW golf GTD that lasted 3 weeks.

The most fun one being a bone stock Mr2 Sw20 which i traded for my daily driver,
    1980 Toyota Carina Ta40

IMG_20160408_194150 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Had a lot of fun with this, kind of rare toyota

So this thread will be mainly about my project car, the silvia. but will also feature some

other cars from my garage, we have 4 s14 koukis, 3 s13 koukis, 1 ps13 silvia varietta and

a r32 gtr (jdm points??)

+ some old turbo quattro audi and a couple e46 330ci's

Aslo me and my friend are building a s13 driftcar, this will not be used on the street, just pure racecar goodness.

IMG_20170908_211856 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

The day I bought it
    IMG_20160422_160532 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

This is my 1997 Nissan 200sx S14A, the car is an Euro spec so that means some changes from the us 240sx,

mainly SR20DET, 5stud, 4 piston brakes, heated leather seats and electric mirrors from

the factory. there might be more differences that i'm unaware of.

It's paint although in sh't condition is the Deep Fuschia (LS1) which is supposed to be rare?

The goal for this car is to get a quick allround sportscar, cosmeticaly it will be more oem+ than all out baller drift spec.

Bought the car close to stock,

had a busted Chargespeed front bumper and front fenders, some Volk replicas and a rusty

leaky trunk, some lowering springs and otherwise stock.

Now the car didnt run properly when i checked it out, would lag in the upper part of the

powerband/rpm range. car was cheap so bought it on the spot.

turned out to be a mix of leaky intercooler piping and an exhaust leak.

First of bought a stock bumper used as i can't stand the need for speed one it came with

IMG_20160613_111459 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Got a front mount and built a 3 inch from the massacred XSpower catback that came with

the car,a friend of mine welded and then dipped it in acid at work, turned out great.

after this car runned smooth and after a torough service the old sr lump was ready for some mods

Now i dont have many pictures from the early days of this car and the work that was put in

it, but it is all fairly standard bolt ons. spent the entire winter season restoring a lot of

mechanical parts and underneath the car.
    IMG_20170315_203853 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

changing the xspower fmic for a genuine HKS one, XS one was way over dimensioned for

this build, was the lowest point on the car about 2,5 inches below the oilpan

IMG_20161116_215926 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

IMG_20161118_215559 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

started on the rust in the trunk, took it down to bare metal and then zinc coated,primed

and painted it. Then added a new oem plug for the bottom

I dont have any pictures of the job, but rest asured it was a lengthy and sh*t job.

Then one of my front calipers seized, got a great deal on some Z32TT ones, same specs

and dimensons only aluminium and not cast iron, restored these and a flick of paint later

IMG_20161208_203750 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20161212_203255 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

they're installed with all new oem hardware and some ferodo ds2500 pads, the brake disc's

that came with the calipers were in good shape so re-used them for now.

installed HSD coilovers for some low's, really happy with the spring rates on these,

handles good and is not too stiff for road use

IMG_20170506_202928 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

got some gauges and a spare center console so i could do this, currently waiting for

sensors and painting the console
    IMG_20170201_223444 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20170204_005917 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Sold the Volk gt-c reps and sported for some genuine forged wheels, rebuilt them to my

liking but thats for the next update

That's it for the intro, I have many parts that have been accumulated over the winter that

will be installed after the nissan is road legal for 2 more years. Cheers
    Last edited by sjokolai; 09-14-2017, 01:52 AM.
    IG @Hansolbakken

Got some new wheels for this season, spent some months searching for the right ones and wouldnt you know it I found some here on the classifed section.

a russian comrade had for sale a set of OZ Futura's in 17'' all oem hardware and barrels + lips. which needed a rebuild, perfect for me as I wanted to put on that personal touch.

IMG_20170204_020233 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Havent seen many sets of OZ futura in 5x114 pcd before and a quick google search showed it wasnt overused on Nissan S14's, score!

paypal'd my russian comrade and a few weeks later the set was at my door, did a quick test fit to see if it would hit the coilovers, it didnt
    IMG_20170216_211004 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Specs were 17x9 +24 all around, looked okay in the front, might go for a 5-10mm slip on spacer. rears however were utterly weak so pulled the trigger on some brand new 3.5'' lips
    IMG_20170215_133821 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Pulling the final specs to 17x10.5 +9 ish if my calculations are correct

Pic of the fitment on the rear
    IMG_20170215_202904 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

then i disassembled them, started sanding them down for paint
    IMG_20170224_221644 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

washed em with some wonder degreaser and steam
    IMG_20170225_152244 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    alot of sanding after they were ready for paint
    IMG_20170225_132856 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20170225_145726 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20170225_163225 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

a coat of acid-primer
    IMG_20170225_165529 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

painted the inside of the barrels black, backside of centers were done with white spraycan
    IMG_20170225_205023 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20170225_170130 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Fronts were painted properly in a paintbooth, color is a custom white with some purple flake, very minor flake
    IMG_20170226_214018 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20170228_221435 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20170303_234706 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
    IMG_20170303_234726 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Here after final mounting, tourqed to spec and sealed with silicone.
    pleased with the final results, threw on some rubber 215-45-17 fronts and 235-45-17 rear, wrapped in Hankook S1 evo2
    IMG_20170307_214439 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Thats' all she wrote
    Last edited by sjokolai; 09-14-2017, 02:18 AM.
    IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

Very nice! I love Koukis, and Futuras, so this will certainly be a very pretty combo!

Comment

Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
        Very nice! I love Koukis, and Futuras, so this will certainly be a very pretty combo!
        Thanks mate, yeah S14's is a solid platform to build on
        IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

Small update time

Not really much that has happened lately, still trying to get the car in it's street legal/oem status..
          so far the exhaust has been changed to the orginial inlcuding cat and the coilovers have been switched to the oem struts with 30mm springs, looks ridicolous with the OZ wheels

anyways I'll let the pictures do the talking

Test fitting before removing coilovers
          IMG_20170309_182221 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
          havent adjusted the height or rolled the fenders which is needed

while the front bumper was off I noticed the windshield wiper tank was poorly fitted/relocated and this really bugged me
          IMG_20170315_212949 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

So quickly threw together some nicer mounts from some steel I had laying around
          IMG_20170322_192807 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

all painted and mounted
          IMG_20170322_201335 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Finally got around to finishing the center console and gauge setup, happy with this
          IMG_20170327_223540 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Then my friend who is a detailer by trade wanted to give the hood some compound as over the winter it had gathered some mediocre artwork from the fellas at the shop.
          IMG_20170327_223111 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
          Oz wheels and oem struts gives the car dat proper baller status..

It's clear that the paint has been neglected for too long so in all seriousness it needs a respray, will however give the whole car a torough cleaning and polish before the season.

That brings us up to date, currently waiting on a plug for the rear windshield as I started on a rear wiper delete

Been working alot lately so I'll use that for my excuse on the slow progress, when the paycheck drops the car will get some nicer and long awaited goodies.

Cheers
          Last edited by sjokolai; 09-15-2017, 08:47 AM.
          IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

Damn you really have done this car well so far.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

you Scandinavians are crazy good at this car shit

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                Damn you really have done this car well so far.
                Thanks mate, still a long way to go

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
                you Scandinavians are crazy good at this car shit
                Its slowly getting there, gathering parts now for the next update
                IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

Looking good so far

Comment

Originally posted by 240Tristan View Post
                    Looking good so far
                    Thanks, more to come

This week not alot has been happening to the car due to work, but some progress was made

Mainly I've had an oil leak from the oem oil pressure switch located beneath the oil filter, turns out that the plastic ''housing'' gets brittle with age

So got a new one from the dealer and this also gave me the chance to get an oil change and install the sensors needed for the oil temp and pressure gauges

At work I do a fair share of oil changes so there is proper tools and more importantly a lift for me to use

raised the car on the lift, thanks to original height this isnt as much of a challenge as opposed to every other day on coilovers

IMG_20170407_200217 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

sensors and oil pressure switch, the brass T-piece goes into the oilpan and pressure and temp sensors on the T
                    I have a Greddy replica pan with baffles so there's an 1/8 npt port on the side up for grabs
                    IMG_20170407_221257 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

gave the pan a proper clean

IMG_20170407_205408 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

IMG_20170407_220359 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

As mentioned in a previous update, the paint was in serious need of some attention, over the Easter break my friend (detailer by trade) had bought some new products he wanted to test

this resulted in the car getting all stages of paint correction and what not, dont know much about this but here are some pictures he took!

received_10154922876495020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                    received_10154922876750020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

received_10154922876665020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                    received_10154922876705020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                    received_10154922596845020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                    received_10154922596735020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                    received_10154922596770020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

received_10154977120210020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

That's it for now, waiting on the ''MOT'' after that's done, some long awaited exterior mods and power upgrades are in line
                    Last edited by sjokolai; 09-15-2017, 08:54 AM.
                    IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

Minor update, the s14 is now street legal so the wheels and suspension is now fitted, had to roll the fenders quite a bit in the back due to rubbing, however I'm pleased with the results.

Front setup is still weak-ish, now I could go for spacers in the front but the fibreglass fenders have been a torn in my side for some time now, solution is fixing and painting the OEM ones i got second hand, this is for a future update.

anyhow.. s14 being street legal means all my parts can be installed, work is overwhelming at the moment so will update as soon as I get a chance

On to the pictures! crappy cell phone quality but it will do for now.

IMG_20170825_213023 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      IMG_20170627_224826 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      IMG_20170825_213035 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      IMG_20170602_190124 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      received_10154975642150020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      IMG_20170520_020004 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      IMG_20170509_220025 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      received_10154976722615020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr
                      received_10154975641960020 by Nikolai Solbakken, on Flickr

Going to lower the front some more after it settles, that's all for now
                      Last edited by sjokolai; 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM.
                      IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

I love that you've kept it mostly stock body. Everyone seems to just chop these things up to go with over fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Okoye View Post
                          I love that you've kept it mostly stock body. Everyone seems to just chop these things up to go with over fenders.
                          Thanks! I agree, seems to be the norm with S-chassis, body is stock except from front fenders, the oem ones will be widened and painted, fibreglass is for driftcars
                          IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

I second the comment about staying with stock body, they are such good looking cars to start with there's not need to chop! Is that as pulled as the rear fenders could go? I feel like with a little more pull you could really get that wheel sitting in there nice without having to add any unnecessary camber. Nonetheless the car looks amazing!

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                              I second the comment about staying with stock body, they are such good looking cars to start with there's not need to chop! Is that as pulled as the rear fenders could go? I feel like with a little more pull you could really get that wheel sitting in there nice without having to add any unnecessary camber. Nonetheless the car looks amazing!
                              In the rear only the lip is rolled, can pull them abit further. I was experimenting with the profile on the tires as this is my first time with stretched tires and due to 17's I went with 45 profile. will test out 40 next time for sure! Allignement is out of place, will get one done asap. Thanks for the kind words
                              IG @Hansolbakken

Comment

Working...
                              X