Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 66' F100, Modern Tow Pig

Default 66' F100, Modern Tow Pig

Aaaaaaannnddd i bought another Ford. I dont know how this happened. Ok maybe i do, same friend that sold me the Mustang also used to own this truck. He sold it to a friend which is who i bought it from. Got a FANTASTIC deal on it, like crack head on the corner deal.

Its a 1966 Ford F100. Has the 300" Straight 6 (which I'm told is one of the best motors Ford ever built) and 3 not the tree manual.

It had sat in a field for god knows how long before my friend had pulled it out, swapped out the bad head, put a new starter, a new alternator, and she turned over. The new head on there is from a junkyard and based on what he said he thinks the head is warped and thats why its leaking out back under the manifold onto the bell housing.

Currently there are other small issues that need to be sorted to get it running reliably. It has a battery drain issue. If the battery is left hooked up it will drain a new battery in a day. It needs a carb. Where the fuel line goes into the carb is stripped out and its in there very loosely. Currently have it Jerry rigged to get it to work but its a very short fix and will be ordering a Carb asap. It also has a pinhole in the radiator that only leaks when it gets hot so ill be ordering one at the same time as the carb.

Other than the typical cab corner rust and a bit in the floor she's fairly solid. Could use a front core support as the bottom is rusted pretty bad. But that can wait. It also has the mother of al rear bumpers.

untitled (3 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (1 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (4 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (8 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (9 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (10 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (11 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (12 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (13 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (14 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (15 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (18 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (20 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (21 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (22 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (24 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (25 of 25) by lawrx, on Flickr

Its currently got 31x10.5x15 tires on it. This makes me mucho excicted because there is still an easy 3-4'' of width left for tire room in the rear. I like big meats.

Nice truck love old fords how much you pick it up for

What are the plans? keeping the survivor look? Looks so good on this thing...
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by LCG View Post
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsun17 View Post
    Nice truck love old fords how much you pick it up for
    Cheap enough not to pass it up lol
    Quote Originally Posted by loekaaz View Post
    What are the plans? keeping the survivor look? Looks so good on this thing...
    -crown vic front independent supsenion and power steering
    -heavily considering height sensor based air ride (best double duty for towing and non towing driving
    -full restoration
    -4.8 out of the mustang when it goes turbo with an auto so wife can also drive it

Thats the short list. For now its get it running good with current driveline and just enjoy it for a while.

As for the survivor look id liek to keep it. But one the wife is NOT having that lol she wants a nice pretty restored truck (cant really blame her, they are her favourite classics) and 2 i work/help manage a body shop. Wouldnt exactly speak volumes of our work if i drove a truck in this condition lol

Just got caught up on your mustang build, looked at this earlier and didnt even notice it was yours lol.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Omg you're crazy! Haha
    It would be sweet if you left the body how it is, buff it out, reupholster the seat, bag it, & throw on some fresh wheels/tires.

Before pulling the head, check freeze plugs.

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

so, so cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

also check for above average parasitic draw, that thing is so old I bet you it would take a total of 30 minutes to find the electrical component staying on when the car shuts off. I don't know much about those old ford trucks but I can tell from the pics that you probably won't have to worry about modules and shit, my guess is it's just a ignition related issue if it drains the battery in a day and you aren't seeing any obvious components on or illuminated after shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    Just got caught up on your mustang build, looked at this earlier and didnt even notice it was yours lol.
    Shes indeed mine. My HOA loves me
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy63 View Post
    Omg you're crazy! Haha
    It would be sweet if you left the body how it is, buff it out, reupholster the seat, bag it, & throw on some fresh wheels/tires.
    Id love to but the wifes not having it lol She LOVES the classic trucks and already has the color scheme picked out and everything. Shes going to be done up good and proper.
    Quote Originally Posted by '70dim View Post
    Before pulling the head, check freeze plugs.
    Good friend of mine is the one who swapped the head. Ill ask about the freeze plugs but we highly suspect its warped. Will check into it tho, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 190Evan View Post
    also check for above average parasitic draw, that thing is so old I bet you it would take a total of 30 minutes to find the electrical component staying on when the car shuts off. I don't know much about those old ford trucks but I can tell from the pics that you probably won't have to worry about modules and shit, my guess is it's just a ignition related issue if it drains the battery in a day and you aren't seeing any obvious components on or illuminated after shut down.
    I havent even looked into it one bit yet, Got it home, took some pics and thats it. Im an electrical newb. Explain above average parasitic draw? Thats one area i want to improve in, electrical. The wiring in this thing is a mess also so im not surprised one bit its got a issue lol.

The reason you have so much fender clearance for tires in the rear: It's a Dodge bed.

Also, if it's possible, within your means, and you like to have things that are interesting (which it looks like you do), I would keep the 300. They're really cool engines, and you can turbo them.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...n-truck-engine

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Arrowheads View Post
    The reason you have so much fender clearance for tires in the rear: It's a Dodge bed.

Also, if it's possible, within your means, and you like to have things that are interesting (which it looks like you do), I would keep the 300. They're really cool engines, and you can turbo them.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...n-truck-engine
    Yeha i was aware it had a dodge bed, just forgot to mention it. Works out in my favour i guess lol

As for the 6'er im heavily looking into it. ideally id like power in the 500-600 range. Plenty to pull with and have a little fun on the street. Only possible issue would be adapting a somewhat modern auto (4l60e or the like) to it. If i did turbo the 6 id be converted to efi and modern auto, for reliabilities sake. This trucks main purpose will be to tow the mustang to long distance away events. Reliability is key.
    Last edited by laextreme5; 02-13-2017 at 06:34 PM.

yaaaaas
    Broken e36 ///M
    Broken y33
    ig: erik.docx

Quote Originally Posted by laextreme5 View Post
    As for the 6'er im heavily looking into it. ideally id like power in the 500-600 range. Plenty to pull with and have a little fun on the street. Only possible issue would be adapting a somewhat modern auto (4l60e or the like) to it. If i did turbo the 6 id be converted to efi and modern auto, for reliabilities sake. This trucks main purpose will be to tow the mustang to long distance away events. Reliability is key.
    If that's the case, then you could stuff in a modified 12 valve with a 47RE and be done. Towing and reliability for years to come. It would keep up with the Forge (Ford/Dodge) theme too .
    Last edited by Red_Arrowheads; 02-14-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Arrowheads View Post
    If that's the case, then you could stuff in a modified 12 valve with a 47RE and be done. Towing and reliability for years to come. It would keep up with the Forge (Ford/Dodge) theme too .
    Assuming you mean a cummins diesel? If so i wanna stay gas, no diesel. Nothing against them, just not my thing.

People make electrical seem like it's the devil which is dumb. Electronics are the best thing that ever happened to cars efficiency wise and efficiency makes power. Basically parasitic draw is a small amount of amperage that is being used by a component in the car after the car is shut down and the alternator isn't able to replenish the battery. Something as small as two amps leaking after shut down will kill a battery and nowadays that is caused by a dome lamp, door lamp, trunk lights or things like that being being stuck on. SUPER simple fix the only part that takes effort is finding what is staying on. I would tell you the parasitic draw procedure I learned but it won't really apply for that old of a truck. Do you have a multi meter and are you good at using it?

If you have a clamp on amp meter just clamp it over the positive wire and then start unplugging connectors.

My best guess is the Alternator diodes. If you wanted to, just unplug all the alternator wiring, tape the positive wire and leave it overnight. Chances are it will start. Not too much to go wrong electrically.

People make electrical seem like it's the devil which is dumb. Electronics are the best thing that ever happened to cars efficiency wise and efficiency makes power. Basically parasitic draw is a small amount of amperage that is being used by a component in the car after the car is shut down and the alternator isn't able to replenish the battery. Something as small as two amps leaking after shut down will kill a battery and nowadays that is caused by a dome lamp, door lamp, trunk lights or things like that being being stuck on. SUPER simple fix the only part that takes effort is finding what is staying on. I would tell you the parasitic draw procedure I learned but it won't really apply for that old of a truck. Do you have a multi meter and are you good at using it?
    Its not that i make it out to be the devil or anyting. I just have very little experience with it. I agree it was one of the best things. You know, now that you mention the dome light and that could cause it, i noticed the bliker stalk is difficult to put in "neutral" position where neither the left or right blinker is one. And the indicator on the dash is extremly dim when it is on. Im wondering if it got bumped and thats what the issue was.

Only way to test that theory would be to leave the battery hooked up over night with the blinker for sure off and see if it cranks over. Unless you have a better suggestion.

It could be shorted, test that overnight and let me know the results

It could be shorted, test that overnight and let me know the results
    storm rolled through when i was off work so i wasnt able to :/

If you have a meter and an inductive amp clamp you can monitor Parasitic Amperage once the car is turned off. If the blinker stalk is the culprit you will see about .5 to 2 amps being drained and when you remove power from the stalk it should go away, if it doesn't go away it's not your problem. If possible find a wiring diagram and determine which fuse controls the blinker stalk function and make sure you know what other components that fuse protects so if the problem goes away you know what the possible components could be.

Goddamn you take on a lot of projects. How far is the Mustang from being done?

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

If you have a meter and an inductive amp clamp you can monitor Parasitic Amperage once the car is turned off. If the blinker stalk is the culprit you will see about .5 to 2 amps being drained and when you remove power from the stalk it should go away, if it doesn't go away it's not your problem. If possible find a wiring diagram and determine which fuse controls the blinker stalk function and make sure you know what other components that fuse protects so if the problem goes away you know what the possible components could be.
    Awesome, thanks for the tips. Ill see what i can find out in the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
    Goddamn you take on a lot of projects. How far is the Mustang from being done?
    haha, uh i have a slight problem. As for the mustang being done, money is the issue. Still needs several thousand to finish (not skimping on quality of parts). Hoping sumertime she will be done.

As for the truck its damn near driveable. Had a new carb come in today that im going to install tonight and new rad is on the way which should be here tomorrow and long as i figure out this battery drain issue she will be road worthy for crusin around and whatnot.

The new carb came in today. Had a friend come by and we swapped it out right quick. Went together like butter. Hooked the battery up, double checked everything was hooked up correctly and cranked her over. She fired up the first crank. Let her warm up for a minute then took her around the block. Lord have mercy was that a trip. Needs a front and back glass ASAP. was hanging out the door just so i could see. Also didn't help that only one headlight was working (we finished after dark). Only issue we had with the install was the choke. The stock carb has a full manual choke. You manually out it out, and once the engine is warm you have to manually push it back in. On the new carb is has a fitting that uses heat from either a exhaust gas or coolant heat source to slowly "turn off" the choke, so there is no action by the user. See as my truck was a full manual there was no line ran for the heat source. So for now we just zipped the choke open till i get can get some copper tubing and make one.

After we got home we started checking things over and making a list of things that need to be addressed first.

IMG_8214 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8215 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8216 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8217 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8218 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8219 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8221 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8222 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8224 by lawrx, on Flickr

Super jealous of that truck