Porsche 2 pc to 3 pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 2 pc to 3 pc

Hi! New here. First post. I've been looking for a 3pc BBS or similar option for my 996. OEM sport design and OEM sport classic have a great look but I'm looking to customize. I've been searching all over for info on how to convert OEM Porsche Sport design or Sport Classic II to 3 pc with modified offsets.

Came across this pic (not the greatest) of a 996TT with what looks like sport design and deep lips, which makes me think it can be done.
    [IMG]996TT Sport Design[/IMG]
    Here are some wheel faces off eBay of what I'd be working with.
    [IMG]Sport Design[/IMG]
    [IMG]Sport Classic II[/IMG]
    [IMG]Sport Design Back[/IMG]

Does anyone have experience with this? Would I be able to find deeper lips on http://www.amcrimhalves.com/?

Would the inner and outer need to be welded to make it a 2 pc wheel again?

Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks

Yes, you can convert these to three piece. It's just a matter of finding someone that produces barrels and lips with the hole pattern seen on the faces.

You would need to get the necessary barrels and lips already welded together to take them back to two piece. But once these are three piece, there isn't real point in going back to two piece unless you have the original two piece barrel/lip setup still.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

unfortunately for structural purposes, its advised to weld the lip and barrel together when being coupled with a face like this because of the # of bolts on the face and because of the depth of the register on the back (machined area that slots into the lip and barrel). if it was a 40 bolt face, thats another story, but being 20 hole with m6 or m7 hardware, its just more logical to weld the new parts together before bolting the face to it.

it can be done and has been done, similar enough situation to 3 piece bbs LM conversions or RSII conversions. we would have to source the blanks and machine for these faces though, so don't expect it to be a cheap project
      sigpic
      1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
      1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
        unfortunately for structural purposes, its advised to weld the lip and barrel together when being coupled with a face like this because of the # of bolts on the face and because of the depth of the register on the back (machined area that slots into the lip and barrel). if it was a 40 bolt face, thats another story, but being 20 hole with m6 or m7 hardware, its just more logical to weld the new parts together before bolting the face to it.

it can be done and has been done, similar enough situation to 3 piece bbs LM conversions or RSII conversions. we would have to source the blanks and machine for these faces though, so don't expect it to be a cheap project
        Sounds like I'd be better off starting out with wheels or faces that were intended to be 3 piece.

Thanks for the help guys.

Pic of my current setup. OEM GT3 wheels, HR springs, spacers on the rears.
        My Ride 2

Comment

Working...
        X