m30 e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m30 e30

So this is a bit of a cross post, but I will update more around the new m30 build

there is a little monster who sleeps in my grage through the week just waiting for the covers to be removed come the weekend. I could ramble for years about my e30 but I'll keep it short & sweet, started life as a 1990 318i auto & now the list below reads:

Engine:
    m30b35 from e34
    rebuilt head
    284 shrick cam
    Miller Maf conversion
    custom exhaust(which is going to a revamp shortly)

Gearbox:
    Close ratio getrag 265 from an e28 m-sport
    3.15 LSD

Suspension & brake:
    Hypercoil spring 450lb fronts 600lb rear
    GE coilover sleeve conversion
    custom valved GAZ gold rear dampers
    Koni sport short front dampers
    AKG bushes lower control arm, trailing arms, rear subframe, & diff mount
    custom rear strut brace & whiteline front
    Massive brakes 2 piece rotor hats wilwood rotors
    Massive brakes caliper mounts
    Wilwood Dynapro 4pot calipers
    custom braided lines to meet ADR standards
    e46 clubsport steering rack
    Ireland engineering 24mm front swaybar
    Whiteline 19mm rear swaybar with Ireland engineering reinforcing mounts
    Ireland engineering aurora endlinks for front & rear swaybars

wheels:
    Simmons f90 rebuilt by me(worse job to do ever)
    16x7.5 with re002
    16x8 & sportmax rears

Interior:
    Evo 5 recaros with massive brakes adaptors to fit oem rails
    Renown motorsports steering wheel

This was one of those I'll buy a daily cars & then it becomes an impractical daily. But I love it
    Last edited by AntB; 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM.

So I've been working on the next stage for the e30 over the past few months,

the overall plan is a high comp m30b35 running e34 m5 ITB's

Head:
    ported to accept PPM +1mm valves & cleaned up for better flow
    Shot peened rockers and rocker locks to replace the original locating springs
    New valve springs
    294/294 Cat cam
    46mm s38b36 ITB's with adapters to fit the m30

Bottom end:
    Custom pistons running 11.0:1comp
    Rods - tossing up between h beam Honda h22 rods which fit with an over length of 143mm, or s38 m5 rods at 144mm but weigh more. In comparison the m30 rods are 135mm
    Block is being honed, all bearings being replaced new seals & timing chain
    ARP stud kit

ECU Master - EMU with a new loom being wired up

I'm down to ordering/fabbing the final pieces:
    Biting the bullet on rods
    Once rods are ordered custom pistons can be measured up
    Headers being fabricated once the new motor is in
    Ecu/wiring
    Tune

As the e30 sits

while we where at WTAC rocking the girlfriends panasports g7's that are going on her e30, my simmons are currently at Barrel Bros getting fresh paint & new lips polished

& I did some wheel stuff

Split my Simmons f90's over the weekend picked up new lips to bring them to 16x8.5 square, or stagger them at 8's & 8.5's. Just a matter of finding tyres looking like a slight stretch on 225/45/16 is going to happen as no one makes a 235/45/16

3" lips
    Stainless bolts
    & fresh paint

Arranging picking up of another m30 so I can build up the motor & swap it into the car when ready, lets me still enjoy the e30 for now
    Last edited by AntB; 01-04-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Awesome build. Subbed for more!
      99 GS 400
      85' 190d
      99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
      97' q45 (rip)
      ig: erik.docx

Comment

thanks mate, hopefully progress will kick off soon sent myself poor with the Christmas & New years festivities.

A gift for the e30

& gave the daily driver some love & attention

184kw or 246whp & a peak of torque of 807nm

Comment

Damnnn what a torque figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Max11 View Post
            Damnnn what a torque figure!
            Got to love the flat four, surprised by the peak from standard only real performance parts that went with it along with the tune where; Processwest tmic, Cobb short intake, invidia dump, & hyperflow catback

after seeing some low low Forester decided I need to invest in coilovers, but e30 stuff first.

Comment

yah those 2.5L make some good low end torque... assuming you have a 2.5l hahaha
              99 GS 400
              85' 190d
              99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
              97' q45 (rip)
              ig: erik.docx

Comment

Wow what? 260bhp and you managed to pull 600 lb-ft from that? Modified gearing or what how is that even possible?

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Joys of the flat four motor the ej25 is good for low end nothing special gearing wise, being an s-edition its a 5sp auto. In factory guise it makes 197kw at the flywheel & 350nm.

my old e82 135i made 258rwkw & a scratch over 700nm of torque, i love the flat 4 & the inline six for their inherit torque producing ability.

Comment

Been a little off track with getting the engine built(money & time)

enjoying the foz & exploring site in my backyard

Changed subframe bushes to Condor speedshop items last weekend, in prep for the new wheels & lifted the car to help with my slight scrub.. by slight i mean lots that photo is post guard roll.

But finished & fitted the wheels;
                    Fronts 16x8 et?? 215/45r16 Falken rt615k
                    Rears 16x8.5 et24 225/50r16 Hankook rs3

Changing out engine mounts this coming Monday, & if my photobucket wasn't being a pain I'd upload a pic of my new valance I managed to acquire with some of my engine build monies going to a genuine Alpina front valance I'll post photos soon.

Next up:

1. Exhaust, customer headers & go back to a dual 1.5" right through, the current set up is not great(loud & throaty, but drones so so bad at freeway speeds)
                    2. Tear down spare m30
                    3. S38 rods to be lightened & balanced
                    4. Custom pistons
                    5. Head to get ported & valves cut in
                    6. ECU & wiring
                    Last edited by AntB; 03-02-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

update & bump 2017 -

Bought another m30, a m90 moved in with the now fiancé(proposed November last year)

Did stuff didn’t really make huge progress on the motor build

But did spare wheel delete & fitted a 2nd diff mount

Fitted an rtd shifter

& got my head from Rama RHDengineering, & my trigger wheel from Miuge

Moving to 2018 -

Did some racing, started to do super sprint rounds with the NSW BMW club, however broke the car big twice

First issue, under dash wire shorted & killed chunks of the loom, swapped looms and stripped;
                      Stereo
                      HVAC
                      Left over A/C
                      Sound deadening
                      Carpet

Got some brake ducts

Got the car running strong & enjoying the lighter weight.......

Then this happened

Comment

So I took the chance to fix the m30

timing chain & guides replaced along with the timing case getting some fresh gaskets. Foolish move by me I managed to misplace my rear main seal so I couldn’t fit the recently arrived IE windage tray.

Ordered a rear main, & water pump gasket so I can finish facing my ewp setup. Studs are hand tight for now, head will be on next weekend

Ordered a rear main, & water pump gasket so I can finish facing my ewp setup. Studs are hand tight for now, head will be on next weekend

Comment

Started making some progress with my brake booster flip, probably the only upside to a right hand drive e30. Using a 26street kit, this is a mates company who put these into production for Aus cars making his RB26 swap an easier process works great to make ITB trumpet space

Untitled by Ant Bolic, on Flickr

Just need to make lines to connect up, once done to m30 will go back in the bay

This weekend I’ll be bending up the hard lines, & sorting out my fuel filter & the start to new fuel lines

Comment

Had a tinker on Monday night, got the oil filter housing mounted back up I’m thinking I’ll need to re-do the line from the block to the filter & give it a little more flex, I measured out fuel lines & worked out what angle fittings I’ll need picking up fittings this coming monday. Today ordered some of the final fuel system bits went a turbosmart fpr800 & the associated fittings 1/8th to -6, & gauge for the bay. Next week I’ve got some holidays, plans are finish the fuel side, setup the vacuum block, make a front splitter & quick release mounts for the front valance.

Comment

Made some more progress on the weekend making the car look fast while it doesn’t run, splitter is made out of 3mm aluminium composite & I also ran the waterpump to bleed the system & had to repair a leak(read I didn’t have the hose clamp seated properly)

Comment

Working...
                              X