Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1972 BMW 2002 Build

Default So Great

He man! Your build looks amazing, love the quality! Question though, why didnt you upgrade the exhaust to a bigger diameter. It seems a bit small.

Keep up the good work

Great as always, you put a smile on my face every time you update this thread.

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Rijlaab View Post
    He man! Your build looks amazing, love the quality! Question though, why didnt you upgrade the exhaust to a bigger diameter. It seems a bit small.

Keep up the good work
    For an NA motor of this displacement 1 3/4 to 2.25 inch piping is best for back pressure and flow needs, seems about right around there from what I can see and after going with a high flow header and back pressure you can get really helps as you lose a lot when you go that route. I wish I could hear this thing scream in real life though, I don't know why but my friend in highschool's 2002 had the S14 motor with headers and a blast pipe and it was one of my favorite sounding NA cars ever. Love the attention to detail on this car and that silver looks just too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Fantastic work man!

ET: No idea.
    '87 BMW L6 "Ol Dirty Bastard" Build Thread
    Instagram:@theseeker411

Quote Originally Posted by Fons View Post
    Great as always, you put a smile on my face every time you update this thread.
    Thanks! That's what its all about.

Quote Originally Posted by 190Evan View Post
    For an NA motor of this displacement 1 3/4 to 2.25 inch piping is best for back pressure and flow needs, seems about right around there from what I can see and after going with a high flow header and back pressure you can get really helps as you lose a lot when you go that route. I wish I could hear this thing scream in real life though, I don't know why but my friend in highschool's 2002 had the S14 motor with headers and a blast pipe and it was one of my favorite sounding NA cars ever. Love the attention to detail on this car and that silver looks just too good.
    Yeah, thats right! If I went with a sizeable difference I'd most likely would be losing power. And you had one cool friend in high school, S14's are the dream....

Quote Originally Posted by theseeker411 View Post
    Fantastic work man!
    Thanks!

Got the throttle cable situation sorted. I wanted to use the original M42 cable but it was much to short. I decided after much thinking to use half of the original 2002 linkage as well to solve this shortness. The 2002 originally has a metal rod thats attached to the pedal arm goes up to a pivot point attaches to another metal rod that when twisted turns the throttle on the carb. I cut the end off the rod to the transmission and welded a washer on the end. A grommet goes in the washer and the end of the m42 cable fits snuggly in. A bracket to hold and guide the system is bolted on to the original 2002 throttle bracket pivot mounts. I still have to get it cleaned up and powder coated but it works nice! I used the longer Ireland engineering 5 speed conversion clutch line as well as the stock is too short. And It moves now. Not by me pushing it either! I took it on the maiden voyage yesterday. Very excited. It pulls good and sounds great too. Cannot wait for this summer…..

gorgeous work

Hope you guys enjoy the video, feedback is appreciated! Also installed the bumper and I think it looks way better with it on.

Its been a little while but I’ve been busy! The 2002 is almost done. Not sure if projects are ever “done” but its finally at a point where I can enjoy it, which is kinda nice. Although I might miss fixing stuff here and there, maybe… Anyway first things first. I installed the front bumper. Powder coated the brackets and plated the bolts. Anyone who has fitted a front 2002 bumper knows that it is a pain. Its almost necessary to install the brackets first and make sure you have a magnet on some tie wire to catch the bolts, not if, but when they fall into the frame rail. I also came across some 73 bumper over riders which look a little sharper in my opinion.

I then went to work on the interior. Namely putting in a sound system. I like my tunes so I didn’t want to settle. The 80’s were a time when people cut 6x9’s into everything and this 2002 was driving in the 80’s. For a purist, having speaker holes cut by an angry badger would not be ideal, for me I was happy to have them already there. However I didn’t want to drill any holes anywhere else in the body for speakers so I had to be creative. I put a component system in the front and for the drivers side subwoofer I made for little brackets all bolted in factory locations to keep it in place. For the passenger side I got a little controversial and made a hole in the glove box. I had a spare so I wanted to experiment. The glove box is actually sturdy enough and holds it nicely. The crossover’s are mounted in the wooded support block in-between the centre console panels. For the tweeters I drilled holes in the centre console. I also have a mint spare so figured why not. The deck itself is mounted in a cut up ash tray mount and looks fairly factory. I am curious to hear what people think, as there is many ways to do this.*

The trunk has these wooden floor boards covered in vinyl. The 45 year old vinyl wasn’t looking too fresh so I decided to remove the vinyl and see what the wood underneath looked like. I know there is no other wood on the car and these might look out of place however I experimented with some wood stain and am very pleased the results! Happy with fuel lines too, looks clean! Getting there…

well i do have different taste but a good job is always a good job.
    well done
    Alberto

www.lanciatimotorclub.com

Instagram : abe.lanciati

AE86 build thread
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92372

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

This just gets better! Trunk looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

what an awesome build! keep updating us.

I need to check under the vinyl on my trunk floors.

Cool build! nice details to.

Quote Originally Posted by ABE24 View Post
    well i do have different taste but a good job is always a good job.
    well done
    Nothing wrong with different taste! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 190Evan View Post
    This just gets better! Trunk looks awesome.
    Thanks, a lot of time went into just the trunk!

Quote Originally Posted by meeceboy78 View Post
    what an awesome build! keep updating us.
    Thanks! Ill try to keep this up to date!

I’m trying to catch up a little now, I registered and insured it recently and have been driving it around as much as possible! I have had Recaro seats out of a mk2 jetta for a while and finally got some brackets to make the install possible. I was worried about the seats looking completely out of place in this car but it works good and man are they ever comfortable! Anyone interested in putting these seats in your car need the power seat versions as they have the six bolt recaro bases where as the manual VW recaros are vw specific. Also cleaned up the rear seat and finally put it in! This car sat inside and the interior really cleaned up nice.

Another thing that bugged me was the 2002’s original licence plate mounting position. When you mounted a plate it would cover the trim between the tail lights and leave a gap between the plate and the bumper. I didn’t want to drill holes and a licence plate bracket off a Mercedes actually works perfectly. I took a picture of the part number for any other 2002 owners out there. It is super easy! I welded the bolts in place so I do not have to wiggle my hands in behind trying to tighten them to make it even easier. Also I did some research and in Alberta you can legally register your car under a vintage plate. So needless to say…..

Wiring! I cleaned up the engine wiring harness connector by ordering a BMW c101 Chasis side connector and the factory pins.

Just got some parts back form the powder coaters, including my 75 modified windshield washer fluid bottle holder. I moved this out of the stock location just to clean up the engine bay a little. I had to cut this bracket up to move the bottle out of the way of my throttle cable. The bottle itself is out of a 80’s Audi I think.

After driving it a bit I realised the stock radiator wasn’t cooling the engine as well as I had hoped. This three row, aluminium radiator seems to work well so far. This May long weekend was a warm one and it didn’t overheat. I’ll consider that a success!

Last edited by mini67; 05-24-2017 at 10:02 PM.

This is full on eye candy! Really loving the attention to detail especially on those yellow passivated bolts.

What is that black wrinkle paint that you're using?

beautiful build. puts a smile on your face just looking at it

Hi, the car need the repair and change of the some parts to run smoothly...you can have the spare parts for your BMW from Here: https://autoportal.com/spare-parts/vehicles/bmw/

The 2002 is easily one of my most favorite BMW's. This thing looks awesome

That license plate mount is genius, in fact I just ordered one. I **** the way my plate sits on my 02.

Untitled by mpower5266, on Flickr

Seriously man, you are my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by IamLateB View Post
    This is full on eye candy! Really loving the attention to detail especially on those yellow passivated bolts.

What is that black wrinkle paint that you're using?
    Thanks! I just used high heat rattle can wrinkle paint. Its holding up quite well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by alemac1 View Post
    beautiful build. puts a smile on your face just looking at it
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by mpower5266 View Post
    Seriously man, you are my hero.

That looks much Better! Glad I could help, I actually got that tip from the 2002faq

So relativitely small update! Got my 71 dash pad in. The 71 dash doesn’t have the “fasten seat belt thing. It isn’t crack free but I think its an improvement. Also bought an MSD tach converter to change the signal so I could use the original Tach, works great! I then bought a speed hut gps speedo. I didn’t make any holes to mount it in and the reason I did that is for a future speedo plan. I heard that you can power an original speedometer with a GPS unit. So I am on the hunt for a pre 74 220km speedo that I can send off and have something that doesn't stick out. As for now, this one will do. Works good and the antenna is hidden under the dash. I haven’t had any problems losing signal yet, and it came equipped with cool options like altitude, 0-60 times and maximum speed. Lately I have just been enjoying the car. On the side I have working on some BBS. Can not wait for these wheels to be done… More to come!

Here is the original gauges and 72 dash

Got my spare tire as well. Slightly to big though. My trunk board doesn’t sit totally level.

does it just look like it in pictures or does the m42 sit way lower under the car than the engine you replaced?
    Instagram: @t_armst

Honestly the speedo hides pretty well with the other other gauges. Out of curiosity what size bolts did you use to mount the Recaros to the sliders? I just picked up a set of LS-Bs and M6x1.0 seem kind of loose until the bolts are almost all the way threaded in.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Looking good bud!!