No announcement yet.

1972 BMW 2002 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what an awesome build! keep updating us.

Comment

I need to check under the vinyl on my trunk floors.

Comment

Cool build! nice details to.

Comment

Originally posted by ABE24 View Post
          well i do have different taste but a good job is always a good job.
          well done
          Nothing wrong with different taste! Thanks

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
          This just gets better! Trunk looks awesome.
          Thanks, a lot of time went into just the trunk!

Originally posted by meeceboy78 View Post
          what an awesome build! keep updating us.
          Thanks! Ill try to keep this up to date!

I’m trying to catch up a little now, I registered and insured it recently and have been driving it around as much as possible! I have had Recaro seats out of a mk2 jetta for a while and finally got some brackets to make the install possible. I was worried about the seats looking completely out of place in this car but it works good and man are they ever comfortable! Anyone interested in putting these seats in your car need the power seat versions as they have the six bolt recaro bases where as the manual VW recaros are vw specific. Also cleaned up the rear seat and finally put it in! This car sat inside and the interior really cleaned up nice.

Another thing that bugged me was the 2002’s original licence plate mounting position. When you mounted a plate it would cover the trim between the tail lights and leave a gap between the plate and the bumper. I didn’t want to drill holes and a licence plate bracket off a Mercedes actually works perfectly. I took a picture of the part number for any other 2002 owners out there. It is super easy! I welded the bolts in place so I do not have to wiggle my hands in behind trying to tighten them to make it even easier. Also I did some research and in Alberta you can legally register your car under a vintage plate. So needless to say…..

Wiring! I cleaned up the engine wiring harness connector by ordering a BMW c101 Chasis side connector and the factory pins.

Just got some parts back form the powder coaters, including my 75 modified windshield washer fluid bottle holder. I moved this out of the stock location just to clean up the engine bay a little. I had to cut this bracket up to move the bottle out of the way of my throttle cable. The bottle itself is out of a 80’s Audi I think.

After driving it a bit I realised the stock radiator wasn’t cooling the engine as well as I had hoped. This three row, aluminium radiator seems to work well so far. This May long weekend was a warm one and it didn’t overheat. I’ll consider that a success!

Last edited by mini67; 05-24-2017, 10:02 PM.
          Instagram
          1972 BMW 2002 build thread
          Youtube

Comment

This is full on eye candy! Really loving the attention to detail especially on those yellow passivated bolts.

What is that black wrinkle paint that you're using?

Comment

beautiful build. puts a smile on your face just looking at it

Comment

Hi, the car need the repair and change of the some parts to run smoothly...you can have the spare parts for your BMW from Here: https://autoportal.com/spare-parts/vehicles/bmw/

Comment

The 2002 is easily one of my most favorite BMW's. This thing looks awesome

Comment

That license plate mount is genius, in fact I just ordered one. I **** the way my plate sits on my 02.

Untitled by mpower5266, on Flickr

Comment

Seriously man, you are my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by IamLateB View Post
                        This is full on eye candy! Really loving the attention to detail especially on those yellow passivated bolts.

What is that black wrinkle paint that you're using?
                        Thanks! I just used high heat rattle can wrinkle paint. Its holding up quite well so far.

Originally posted by alemac1 View Post
                        beautiful build. puts a smile on your face just looking at it
                        Thanks man!

Originally posted by mpower5266 View Post
                        Seriously man, you are my hero.

That looks much Better! Glad I could help, I actually got that tip from the 2002faq

So relativitely small update! Got my 71 dash pad in. The 71 dash doesn’t have the “fasten seat belt thing. It isn’t crack free but I think its an improvement. Also bought an MSD tach converter to change the signal so I could use the original Tach, works great! I then bought a speed hut gps speedo. I didn’t make any holes to mount it in and the reason I did that is for a future speedo plan. I heard that you can power an original speedometer with a GPS unit. So I am on the hunt for a pre 74 220km speedo that I can send off and have something that doesn't stick out. As for now, this one will do. Works good and the antenna is hidden under the dash. I haven’t had any problems losing signal yet, and it came equipped with cool options like altitude, 0-60 times and maximum speed. Lately I have just been enjoying the car. On the side I have working on some BBS. Can not wait for these wheels to be done… More to come!

Here is the original gauges and 72 dash

Got my spare tire as well. Slightly to big though. My trunk board doesn’t sit totally level.

Instagram
                        Youtube

Comment

does it just look like it in pictures or does the m42 sit way lower under the car than the engine you replaced?

Comment

Honestly the speedo hides pretty well with the other other gauges. Out of curiosity what size bolts did you use to mount the Recaros to the sliders? I just picked up a set of LS-Bs and M6x1.0 seem kind of loose until the bolts are almost all the way threaded in.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

Looking good bud!!

Comment

Episode 5

Instagram
                                Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X