w124 Highschool Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE:

Car is in the shop right now for steering issues... Mechanics quoted me $850 to replace ball joints or whatever, not sure exactly what because they spoke to my mom on the phone and not me. Oh, and another $750 if I wanted to replace my "worn" rotors that is said to have another 5,000 miles on them lol.
    Last edited by sebvstien; 12-20-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

If you are not opposed to cutting a bit of the fender, then follow the red dotted line. I have done that with mine and it makes a world of difference. Plus, the angle is so subtle, it is almost impossible to notice. Further, the line will blend with the position of your bumper.

Comment

Looks like Santa forgot to wrap a present

Decided to go with Vogtlands. Seemed reliable, good price, and I figured the purple would look cool with spring adjusters, if I do purchase some lol

Does anyone have any tips on if I should cut them? If so how much? Pictures? Thanks ahead of time!

Comment

Originally posted by sebvstien View Post
          UPDATE:

Car is in the shop right now for steering issues... Mechanics quoted me $850 to replace ball joints or whatever, not sure exactly what because they spoke to my mom on the phone and not me. Oh, and another $750 if I wanted to replace my "worn" rotors that is said to have another 5,000 miles on them lol.
          Please tell me you are not going to pay that are you? Come on!
          Steering issues? Only thing i can thing of are the steering damper or the steering links. If those are worn, you get a little bit of a vague steering. Nothing you cant do yourself with a set of spanners, a jack, jackstands and a small puller like this:

Lucas
          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
          Originally posted by LCG
          High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Thanks for all the info w/ the links dude... After reading this I'll probably go with your suggested set up. I don't know about the r129 strut mounts yet, but definitely the b8s and Saab's. Also do you have a link to the reducer? I'm not sure if I still have the stock bushing b/c the shocks we're replaced before I got the car, thanks!
            The shocks you have in the car now will have bushings that will work, try to press them out and if not when you get the new shocks bring a new shock and an old shock to your local hardware store and have someone help you find one or at least a washer that will help.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

What Loekaaz said...Don't you DARE pay mercedes tech's for that kind of rape. It such an easy job and the experience will help you in the long run with removing this cars suspension. I didn't even know w124 ball joints were replaceable lol I just bought new control arms for like 70$ a piece and installed them myself it's really easy.

1.) Order 2 of these http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1243330327LEM (Loekaaz double check if those are the correct joints, I'm almost positive.)

2.) Lift the car up on both sides and pull the wheels off. Remove the swaybar. (4 bolts and two plates holding it onto the control arms.

3.)Place jack underneath control arm near the ball joint to support the control arm from shooting downward and give the jack like two pumps the relieve pressure off the bolt holding the ball joint to the hub.

4. Un-bolt the bolt going through the hub securing the ball joint and pull it out. Slowly lower the control arm and stand out of the way just incase the spring shoots outward (It usually won't if you're sly enough and take it slow. If its got a little tension use a pry bar to yank it out.)

5.) With the control arm sagging and the spring out use the tool that LoeKaaz sent a pic of and remove the ball joint and simply replace the old one with the new!

6.) The ball joints can be sticky so try to install it so the slot on the ball joint is facing the same way you removed it

See the slot?

7.) Everything in reverse and install the sway bar last. You also might as well install the lowering springs while you're at it because installing stock height springs is near impossible if they aren't cut, you don't have the proper Mercedes spring compressor, or have lowering springs. Also if you have fender liner in there and you plan on going really low you might as well remove that while you're at it (It's just a shit ton of 10mm plastic bolts and clips.) Also are you sure it's your LCA ball joints and not you're tie rod end ball joints? Either can cause this issue and it's REALLY easy to test either of them with the car lifted up.

Comment

^^ the ball joints are indeed the correct ones. http://www.everythingbenz.com/z/part...es-ball-joint/

And to add:

you actually CAN remove stock springs without a spring compressor, but then you have to unbolt the brake calipers, shocks and sway bar from the front hubs and you can pry them out with a prybar when you are careful enough.

NOTE:
                You wont be able to insert the stock front springs back though. So make sure you have the lowering springs at hand.

The rears are removable by removing the inner bolts from the lower control arms, using a jack.
                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAE2kWaHL7U"]removing rears[/ame]
                Last edited by loekaaz; 12-22-2016, 06:34 AM.
                Lucas
                Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                Originally posted by LCG

Comment

Looks like Santa forgot to wrap a present

Decided to go with Vogtlands. Seemed reliable, good price, and I figured the purple would look cool with spring adjusters, if I do purchase some lol

Does anyone have any tips on if I should cut them? If so how much? Pictures? Thanks ahead of time!

I cant believe i have missed this thread! I dont go on S|W enough anymore I would say cut one coil off of them, but thats just my opinion
                  C280 Build Thread
                  C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                  E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
                    And to add:

you actually CAN remove stock springs without a spring compressor, but then you have to unbolt the brake calipers, shocks and sway bar from the front hubs and you can pry them out with a prybar when you are careful enough.

NOTE:
                    You wont be able to insert the stock front springs back though. So make sure you have the lowering springs at hand.

The rears are removable by removing the inner bolts from the lower control arms, using a jack.
                    removing rears
                    That's what I said! I said it was impossible to put them back in if they are stock without a compressor

Comment

Oh sorry haha. TLDRTC (Too Long, Didn't Read Too Carefully)
                      Lucas
                      Originally posted by LCG

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                        What Loekaaz said...Don't you DARE pay mercedes tech's for that kind of rape. It such an easy job and the experience will help you in the long run with removing this cars suspension. I didn't even know w124 ball joints were replaceable lol I just bought new control arms for like 70$ a piece and installed them myself it's really easy.

1.) Order 2 of these http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1243330327LEM (Loekaaz double check if those are the correct joints, I'm almost positive.)

2.) Lift the car up on both sides and pull the wheels off. Remove the swaybar. (4 bolts and two plates holding it onto the control arms.

3.)Place jack underneath control arm near the ball joint to support the control arm from shooting downward and give the jack like two pumps the relieve pressure off the bolt holding the ball joint to the hub.

4. Un-bolt the bolt going through the hub securing the ball joint and pull it out. Slowly lower the control arm and stand out of the way just incase the spring shoots outward (It usually won't if you're sly enough and take it slow. If its got a little tension use a pry bar to yank it out.)

5.) With the control arm sagging and the spring out use the tool that LoeKaaz sent a pic of and remove the ball joint and simply replace the old one with the new!

6.) The ball joints can be sticky so try to install it so the slot on the ball joint is facing the same way you removed it

See the slot?

7.) Everything in reverse and install the sway bar last. You also might as well install the lowering springs while you're at it because installing stock height springs is near impossible if they aren't cut, you don't have the proper Mercedes spring compressor, or have lowering springs. Also if you have fender liner in there and you plan on going really low you might as well remove that while you're at it (It's just a shit ton of 10mm plastic bolts and clips.) Also are you sure it's your LCA ball joints and not you're tie rod end ball joints? Either can cause this issue and it's REALLY easy to test either of them with the car lifted up.
                        NO WAY I was gonna pay the mechanic btw lol. I googled how to fix the ball joints myself before I saw this, and the only problem I saw people running into was the special MB tool to remove the ball joints...

Not sure if I should just replace the ball joints or the whole lower control arm since the bushings are probably worn also, but I'll see once the New Years starts

Originally posted by SD202 View Post
                        I cant believe i have missed this thread! I dont go on S|W enough anymore I would say cut one coil off of them, but thats just my opinion
                        What's up man! Think I talked to you 2 years back at So Cal Euro while you still had your old Benz. Anyways, I was thinking to leave them uncut and see how I like it without the bump stops, scared to go super low right now until I can get smaller tires and pull fenders lol

Comment

are those vogtlands still up for sale? i think theyd look sick on my 124 is on stick height with some amg 17in monos

Comment

Recently just got my lugs in, after ordering the wrong size the first time lol.

Got around to throwing the wheels on and finally got to see what they look like

I know I know... the ride height is horrible
                            Can't lower it just yet though. Once I throw on the cut springs, I'd need to roll and pull fenders... don't have the tool lol. I'd also need to get some tires.
                            Plan is to sell the 235s in the back and replace them with the 215s on the front, then purchase 205s for the front.

Here's some more photos I took out of excitement

Comment

lookin good man, and i see youre in SD. if you need a fender roller you should hit up RNZ conceptz off of Miramar. they can help with pretty much anything custom.

gimme a sec (e28 build)

Comment

Just need a set of OEM eurolights front and rear

Comment

Working...
                                X