Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"excessive" camber = excessive wear on wheel bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "excessive" camber = excessive wear on wheel bearing?

-4.5 front -5.5 rear camber, got humming sounds while im driving, is that normal for tires or is it the camber/wheel bearing going out?

thanks!!!
    // Alan

Some tires will make a humming noise, much like bearings, when they start wearing down..especially when it's "unusual" wear from things like camber or toe. I know the shoulders on my kumho ecstas had a crazy wear pattern and they made some loud noise when they were nearing the end.

With that said, excessive camber will put uneven load on the bearings and can cause premature failure.

Best way to find out is toss on some spare wheels/tires if you have any laying around or you have friends that will let you borrow some. If the noise goes away with the wheel swap, you'll know it's the tires and not your bearings.
    Last edited by Rally; 08-05-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Wait, wouldn't that mean its the tires if they went away with the tire/wheel swap?
      - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Originally posted by prodigee View Post
        Wait, wouldn't that mean its the tires if they went away with the tire/wheel swap?
        hahah oops yah I guess I worded that incorrectly

Comment

ugh,, i just had them replaced a few months ago before slapping the wheels on..
          // Alan

Comment

Lift your car in the air and move the tires that is tightened down, If you have wheel movement back and forth... Change them out mang
            19x10-3 SSR Agle Strusse...19x11 -4...1999' Lexus GS400 blk/on/blk // // The Lexus is the Daily ! /link/VipdOut blog !!

Comment

If you just changed the bearings and they are failing reframe from using cheap chinese made parts.

Comment

I was running lots of camber on the front of my apssat until I got adjustable CA's and my tires hummed like crazy (had 2.2 deg of neg. camber) and it was worse when I hit the brakes. Once I corrected the camber the noise went away, it was all from the tires.
                Alabama's premier watercooled VW club http://www.h2otuning.com

Comment

it all comes down to the geometry and design and what the load bearing specs of the bearings are. I noticed that on the vws that this was a huge problem on them and it seems to stem either from camber, spacers, wheels sizes or something else. maybe they use crappier bearings now or maybe this happens on non-modified cars too but from what i saw, it was like the snapped axles from lowered dubs and bearings were at the top of the list for suspension/driveline problems. OVERALL, IT COMES DOWN TO PRECISION PARTS MADE TO WORK A CERTAIN WAY. seems like they stopped using as much material lowering the load bearing weight of the bearings.

think of it this way: it's all about maximum profits and getting the best gas mileage (for the selling point on that second one). they try to do it for least cost possibly and best fuel efficiency which in return leads to lightweight materials/design leading to faster wear when you modify and stray from the specs the manufacturers needed for reliability and to pass safety inspections. Also, weaker parts means oem parts will fly off the shelves due to cars breaking down more and a majority of people like going to dealerships LOL. overdoing parts to ensure quality is something of the past due to precision machining and it seems it's easier nowadays to break shit.

do you concur? no? ever drive old american metal? or an old import? american cars got cheaper while foreign cars got better body-wise but mechanically they are all cheapening up.

who is to blame? engineers and mathletes kinda but not really. it's not their fault, but it is their job to cut costs. a mm shaved off every piece of the car while complying to safety specs would safe a buttload of money yet do nothing to the overall value of the car. if we got more enthusiasts in those kind of jobs to keep in mind of the performance & car show minded people, we might be able to save some money in the long run LOL. personally, i'd rather blame the manufacturers for being a bunch of d-bags cause seriously, why else does modifying anything on the outside of a car void the warranty? THEY ARE BECOMING MORE OF TIGHTWADS THAN USUAL NOW THAT THEY FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE PARTS BREAK SOON AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES. It all comes down to the overall engineering and those guys basically have a gun to the back of their head to do so with a line of guys ready to take their jobs.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

i'm telling you now that you need smaller tires homie, i didn't even run -4.5 in the REAR of my 9's
                    but i also ran a 205/40 on it.''

tire size is a key element

but if you got cheap tires, yes they will hum when worn

Comment

My Generals make a loud noise when they start wearing down. I run excessive camber too.

Comment

Originally posted by reverse View Post
                        My Generals make a loud noise when they start wearing down. I run excessive camber too.
                        my nankangs hum even when brand new

Comment

Working...
                        X