Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blake Olsen Formula Drift BMW e92 // 850hp// Dogbox //Quickchange// Rear Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my radiator came in and the thing is MASSIVE! I guess I knew how big it would be because my dad and I designed it, but seeing it in person is awesome. The dimensions are 38"wx18"t in a dual pass design. Fluidyne incorporated -20 AN ends for the inlets and outlets, and a -8 bung on the opposite tank that will go up to my Radium expansion tank. They also made a simple shroud that uses 2 16" Spal fans. Combined these units will pull over 4000cfm. If that isnt enough, I can upgrade to brushless 16" Spal fans that will pull nearly 6500cfm.

Untitled by Blake Olsen, on Flickr

The size of this radiator fill nearly all the space from the rear window sill to the trunk floor, and within 1/4" from strut tower to strut tower. This will greatly simplify the ductwork.

My steering wheel also showed up. 350mm Sparco with 90mm dish in black suede.

Hopefully soon I'll have more updates on the fabrication with the car.
    IG: B_OLSEN_

Comment

Holy crap that's one big bertha. Are you running ducts from underneath the car utilizing a difuser or from the third window space downward?

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
      I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

The plan is to have a half rear window, and big naca ducts in each side window ducted through the rear firewall to break the air up to prevent a vacuum from forming.

Comment

Comment

Small update: Went to drop parts off at the fab shop and check up on the car. Cage is basically finished just had to check on the harness bar and door bars.

Also sat the radiator in the car to get an idea on placement and the thing is awesome. It fills a ton of the void back there so ductwork and shroud work should be minimal

Seat mounts, a and b pillar gussets, and nascar passenger door bars should be done this week. Progress has been slow due to James getting injured but as he heals up it's getting back on track!
            Last edited by BlakeOlsen; 12-09-2016, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Damn! That radiator really is huge. Also, I have never seen a collapsible column used before what's the purpose over a standard mounted one?

Comment

This is good. This will be great. Cannot wait until it comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                  Damn! That radiator really is huge. Also, I have never seen a collapsible column used before what's the purpose over a standard mounted one?
                  If I'm not mistaken it's so you don"t get skewered by the column in a front end accident.
                  1991 BMW E30 325i Touring

Comment

^+1
                    2016 WRX
                    E39s are forever in my heart.

Comment

Well, this is a proper build. I'll keep an eye on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Grime View Post
                        If I'm not mistaken it's so you don"t get skewered by the column in a front end accident.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Dunno how I missed this but subb'd.

Super cool to be able to read through from your like grassroots level to pro2 and hopefully even pro1 if you go that far Blake. As much work as I know build threads are keep it up!

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

So good. Love seeing the e9x chassis get used for track use.

Comment

Subscribed!
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

So the past weekI've been in Hawaii on a family vacation but some good progress was still made on the car!

Firstly, I ordered a ton of stuff for it! Almost $15k worth

I placed my order with my sponsors over at RHS/Comp Cams/ Lunati and ordered everything for the long block with the exception of pistons(Ben of EFI University is handling getting some bad ass custom billet units built.

Here's a generic build sheet:
                                RHS 4.160 Unfinished bore block (needs finish honing)
                                RHS Front Cover
                                RHS 291cc LS7 heads assembled
                                LS7 1.8 rockers with Trunion Kit
                                Comp Rocker Stands
                                Comp Timing set for raised cam block
                                CompCustom grind LS cam

Lunati Signature Crankshaft, 4" Stroke, 24X reluctor wheel
                                Lunati Billet I Beam 6.125 connecting rods
                                Main Bearings
                                Rod Bearings

The finish machining and pistons, as well as extremely precise assembly will make this a solid NA powerplant.

I also placed the order through Wilwood for the brake system in the car with the exception of rotors and hats. Still need to determine the offset hats to maximize the available space and hopefully run low disc wheels.

4x Dynapro Lug mount calipers 4piston 1.75" (2 for front brakes, 2 for hand brake)
                                2x Dynapro Lug mount calipers 4piston 1.38" (2 for rear brakes)
                                2x Combination Master cylinders 3/4" (Front brake/clutch)
                                1x Combination Master cylinders 7/8" (Rear brake)

All thats left to get from them now are rotors of course, and a proportioning valve

I also have almost all the aero coming for the car from a new sponsor, DTM Fiber Werkz.

I have their full GTR-S kit coming, which is comprised of 8 piece flares, 2x2 carbon fiber front splitter, side splitters, rear lip, and sunroof delete. Also have a carbon fiber e30 dash coming. I know what you're thinking "e30?..." but i promise itll come out cool. It's a very simple style dashboard and will be perfect for a digital cluster and switch panel.

And James and the guys at 18fab have been getting some work done on the car itself. They pulled the entire drivetrain and are completing some of the smaller parts of the cage.

Seat mounts are tied into the cage and chassis, much stronger and safer vs. bolt in or welded in side brackets

Now just to have him machine the weld in side brackets from 1/8 plate that will be fixed, but slotted holes will allow for +/- 1" up/down front/back for final seat position.

He also got the steering column thrown together, nice and simple. Now just to make a firewall plate to hold that bulkhead carrier

Over the next few days he'll keep working on fab until the car goes to the fiberglass shop to have the quarter panel molds made which will take 2 weeks. I'll keep you all posted of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X