e30 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• love it

Im deciding weather to go the sr20 or a 1j in my 1990 e30, sr20 are fairly bullet proof they dont like being rev'd out hard though the hydro lifts can move under high revs hence why alot of big hp cars go sold like tomie or hks but the stoppers you have will help out.

I'll try dig up an article i had on the SR20 there a ridiculosly popular engine in aus, it ran through the best oil for it & the best thing for it a larger capacity sump cause the stock one is like a kids drink bottle & can led to starvation againat high rpm.

all in all high rpm + sr = broken

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony B View Post
      love it

Im deciding weather to go the sr20 or a 1j in my 1990 e30, sr20 are fairly bullet proof they dont like being rev'd out hard though the hydro lifts can move under high revs hence why alot of big hp cars go sold like tomie or hks but the stoppers you have will help out.

I'll try dig up an article i had on the SR20 there a ridiculosly popular engine in aus, it ran through the best oil for it & the best thing for it a larger capacity sump cause the stock one is like a kids drink bottle & can led to starvation againat high rpm.

all in all high rpm + sr = broken
      Thanks man

1jz is a good choice, sticking with an inline six like that or an RB is the ideal way to go, but both motor's go for quite a bit more money, and both involve remote brake booster setups, something I didn't want to do.

Thanks for the advice, I plan on doing some extreme oil maintenance to avoid another spun bearing. Have 4 oem filters in my box for it. I'll be starting it, warming it up to bleed the coolant, go for a spin in the parking lot, bring it back in, drain the oil and change the filter. Then run it for around 1000km's, and do the same. Make sure anything in the engine from the rebuild/initial break in doesn't stay in the engine. I'm hoping that will help. After that frequent oil changes, oil pressure and temp gauges along with an external cooler.

Half the fun of the sr is spinning it to 8k :P

Update

Progress progress progress, it's all I care about at this point, wanting to drive it so badly. Cleared the bay again this morning, let it dry while I did my job. Then 5pm hit (or sometime at the end of the day haha), cracked a beer and got to work.

Started putting the front end back together, threw in some shorter springs up front, modded the steering linkage for the e36 rack, installed front subframe/suspension again, installed brake booster, master, some wiring, SS brake lines up front (do the rears later) and redid the hardlines for the front to tidy it up by the master. (deleted abs when i originally did the swap and it left my lines looking rather crappy) It's all bled, pedal is rock hard so threw the wheels back on, and torqued them for the first time in a long time in anticapation of a test drive

Last edited by Dutchy; 07-27-2011, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Just read your entire build thread. Love the work done so far.

FYI, theres an gray 325is running around atlanta with an sr too. lol
        '88 323 - K-swapped
        '03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Comment

• haha 8k in an sr is fun

the article i had is all syn oils they had 10w-60 full syn. If you keep on the oil service side you'll be fine.

Im thinking the SR for the weight side of things & 1j & rb swaps leave no room in the bay haha

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csW8-zsmeGA"]‪Team BS Bildeler Silvia S13 SR22VET - GMS September 2010‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

9500 rpm sr2.2.
            750 bhp...
            www.gsbildeler.no The best BMW parts suplyer!
            www.akgmotorsport.com all u need
            www.vts-racing.no/forum/index.php My buddies in norway
            E28 with a s50b32 m3 engine
            sigpic[

Comment

• Originally posted by DeeAOne View Post
              Just read your entire build thread. Love the work done so far.

FYI, theres an gray 325is running around atlanta with an sr too. lol
              Thanks

Got a link to pics or a build? Would love to see more sr's in e30's

Originally posted by Anthony B View Post
              haha 8k in an sr is fun

the article i had is all syn oils they had 10w-60 full syn. If you keep on the oil service side you'll be fine.

Im thinking the SR for the weight side of things & 1j & rb swaps leave no room in the bay haha
              I'm going to see how 10w-30 works for it, the lower the spread, the higher quality the oil, so I don't want to go as extreme as 10-40 or 50 or 60 but we'll see.

Yeah the sr is insanely light weight, although I have no experience with rb or 1j's weights. SR leaves a fair amount of room which is nice

Originally posted by ealoken View Post

9500 rpm sr2.2.
              750 bhp...
              Nice, it's awfully tempting to build a high rpm head for it, but my bank account says no no no haha

Comment

• hehe, i just needed to post my friends car, the engine is a 25000$ build..... so i know why you dont do that.
                sigpic[

Comment

• Originally posted by ealoken View Post
                  hehe, i just needed to post my friends car, the engine is a 25000$ build..... so i know why you dont do that.
                  I don't blame you, sounds rediculously awesome, and he certainly knows how to use it.

Comment

• yeah, he is a good driver.

are you thinkin of doin a change on your differential? change the gear ratio ? since the sr20 gearbox is different from the oem trans?
                    sigpic[

Comment

• Originally posted by ealoken View Post
                      yeah, he is a good driver.

are you thinkin of doin a change on your differential? change the gear ratio ? since the sr20 gearbox is different from the oem trans?
                      Nahh, from what I have read the sr20 in 180's etc comes with a 4.10 rear end. Since that's what I have I think it should suit the gearing well. If I don't like it, I can always change it out, no big deal.

Comment

• ok, as long as it makes some "elevens" when wantes
                        sigpic[

Comment

• Great Project. I dont see this in Romania! Keep up the good work!
                          "Once you buy a BMW you will notice that over the years you will slowly become a certified mechanic, your trunk will be filled with screwdrivers, wrenches and car parts but your life will feel complete."

Comment

• this thing rippin' yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ali_ump View Post
                              Great Project. I dont see this in Romania! Keep up the good work!
                              thanks

yes the car is driving, drove it home saturday night to give it a wash. friend of mine used the car as part of a scrapedcrusaders.com photoshoot so i should have some pictures from that soon.

check the website for a teaser at www.scrapedcrusaders.com

Comment

• Here's a thread with a couple pics on SW from the shoot

The general style discussion forum, as well as a place to post your car, or any car for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X