Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 VW Golf Mk2 Moda in need of loving care

So,

as some may know, my daily is a '99 Audi A8 4.2 quattro. It's a nice car and I love driving it, but insurance is annoying as well as parts prices. So the original plan was to buy a nice retro daily - something big, comfy, with a/c and automatic, that is cheap to insure. Something to replace the Audi as my daily. I was thinking of Mercedes W126, Volvo 900s, Saab 9000s and similar cars.

Well... that didn't work out. Seems the Audi is destined to stay my daily for a while longer.

Cue two weeks ago. A friend dragged me to a gathering of the second generation Volkswagen Golf - Mk2 Elite in the Netherlands. I was somehow so excited by this, that I bid 301€ on a Golf on ebay while I was at the event. I won the car the next day for 300€.

Today I finally picked it up.

It's a '90 Golf Moda - the Golf Moda is a special edition that's bascially a fancier Golf CL (base model). Compared to the base spec CL the Moda comes with funky seat covers (see pictures), arch flares and skirts, GTI tails, painted mirrors, and was available in the color Dark Burgundy (which mine is) which was usually only available on the Golf GTI Edition One. The Moda was available only in 1990. From the factory, it also came with 15" BBS wheels, which sadly were not included with mine.

Mine's got the 1.3 NZ and the engine is bascially destined for the crap heap as it runs like crap and I want something more powerful anyways. I'm thinking either 2.0 8v or 2.0 16v or maybe VR6 or 1.8t. But since I'm a stingy bastard and **** to pay for things, I'll probably go with the 2.0 8v.

Condition wise... well, it needs work but it's not worse than I expected, but not better either. One door needs replacing due to rust. Apart from that the body looks pretty straight - I'll put it on a lift later today and a have a more indepth look. The paint... I'm not sure if that can be revided, but I think it needs at least a partial repaint. Might just repaint it a different color altogether.

Interior needs some work too. Driver's seat is crap, passenger seat and rear bench are decent, the colored Moda stripes on the door card are broken, headliner is crap.

But apart from that it drives relatively decently.

I think I'll have my work cut out for me, but I don't think it's too much for me to handle. I'll keep you posted.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

I can dig it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
    and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
    S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

So, I had it on a friend's lift today.

Underbody looks surprisingly decent, better than I expected. Did some poking around with a screw driver in all the usual spots and didn't really find anything. Found a bit of rust around the front wishbone (?) mounts and above the drive axles, but that was it. Of course it could still look entirely different underneath the undercoating... And I still have to look under the arches and skirts, but from what I felt behind the arches, I'm not expecting anything major.

Comment

Clean it and polish it and it will be alot better, have fun!
        Facebook Sander Zuurbier
        Instagram sanderz28

Twingo RS

Comment

Nope, that won't be enough because the paint is fuuuuuuuucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
            Nope, that won't be enough because the paint is fuuuuuuuucked.

o damnnnnn
            Facebook Sander Zuurbier
            Instagram sanderz28

Twingo RS

Comment

I think the front window needs to come out. First order of business will be removing the interior to look at the floor for any hidden rust. But first I need to finish parting my E36 as I won't have enough room until that's gone...

Took some proper pictures today at least.

Also, I think I got my old man on board with the project. He's basically the one who got me into cars in the first place and has owned his fair share of Golfs back in the 80ies and 90ies, a few Mk1s and a Mk2 as well. His words: "Yeah, that looks decent, just needs to be cleaned up, lower, some nice and shiny wheels and a good engine!"

So... let's see where this goes. I'm really not sure what engine I want - 2.0 8v would be the cheapest and easiest solution, but also the most boring. A 2.0 16v would be a bit more interesting but also more expensive. A VR6 would sound great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the added weight. I might need to drive a VR swapped Mk2 to decide. Even though I've never been a big turbo fan I'm also entertaining thoughts of a 1.8t. Then again, a traditional 1.8 16v with Weber carbs would sound bloody awesome as well... the possibilites are big and I'm really not sure which direction to go!

Comment

happy that I've caught this build at such an early stage

love a mk2, dont see too many of them on here

Comment

cant wait to see what you do with it... get cracking

Comment

Why not a TDI?

Comment

I'm just not a fan of diesels. I just don't like their sound. I much prefer the sound of a petrol engine!

Comment

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this one man. Having obviously seen what you've done with the Touring, I'm sure you'll do just fine haha.

Comment

Well, I hope I won't disappoint haha.

Slight news, just bought the first few parts for it...

A period correct headunit since it came with a butt ugly spaceship one... I scored a working Blaupunkt Freiburg SQR39 on ebay.

And also a matching Fischer Cassette box:

And I also ordered a few sets of these to replace the ugly clear headlights that came with the car. The extra sets are to play around with... maybe smoke a set and such

Comment

Yes, I like where this is going

Comment

Got this interior yesterday - for free, haha. Guy who rents the unit next to mine had this sitting around gathering dust. I gave it a quick vacuuming and it looks pretty decent but definitely needs a real cleaning. May or may not use this for the time being. I think these are out of a Golf Boston. I was also offered Golf Moda sports seats - so like the ones currently in the car, but with the GTI shape for added support. Those are veeeery rare, but they definitely need to be re-upholstered as the sides have big holes. I may pick them up and store them until the car is done and then get the Moda interior redone.

Comment

Working...
                              X