No announcement yet.

1990 VW Golf Mk2 Moda in need of loving care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried to get the headliner out to trim it with some dark fabric I picked up... this happened:

Oops.

Going to laminate it with glassfibre, but it'll have to wait a bit.

Cleaning out my shop at the moment to get ready to move. I found a new shop which I'll be moving into over the next few weeks. So the car will have to wait a bit.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

You can never trust a strong german man to be "delicate" lol
      95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

Haha

Actually, I already heard some suspicious cracking when I removed the B pillar trim. Once I unscrewed the A pillar trim, it all just crumbled down lol

Comment

Mk2 headliners are so fragile. Re-doing mine was a pain! I remember seeing a thread on vwvortex about remaking a headliner for mk2s out of cardboard.

Comment

A long time with no update!

I moved shop over the last few weeks and I'm now finally mostly set up in my new place. Work can continue shortly.
            I'm bursting with energy to work on the Golf because the new shop ist just infinitely better than the old one!

One of my favorite parts of the new shop is actually the window in the back wall. It makes for some really nice lighting!

Excuse the shitty cell phone snaps:

I've got a thread on Garage Journal about the shop. Check it out.
            Last edited by Dr.AK; 05-01-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Holy crap those ATS's are the tits! Truly excited to see all this 80's happening. I didn't even know Zender offered a front piece for this car. Are you going to get the matching wing as well? I think the only wheels to run on a build like this would be some ATS's as you have or some old 14' or 15' gotti's. Like this

http://www.erebuni.net/images/cleara...fZE4599011.jpg
              Attached Files

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
              I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

sorry double post, trying to get used to the new SW
                Attached Files

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

I'm always on the lookout for other Zender parts or other 80ies tuner bits, but they're hard to come by! And people are starting to charge serious money for those parts.

The great thing is, there's a lot of cool, small retro wheels that would suit a build like this. Well, I say great thing... my bank account already weeps in despair.

Comment

So you're in a Golf now! Pretty cool, tons of stuff out there.

It seems that everything semi-rare is now a small fortune. E36's parts as well.

Curious where this will end.

*Click Sigpic For Journal*

Comment

So, long time with no update!

I managed to get the headliner fibreglassed so all the cracks are fixed now. Still needs to be covered with fabric.

But now, things are looking up. This winter, I'll be busy!

Saturday, I managed to score a set of Zender front and rear aprons. Both are new and sat in a cellar since 1989.

Stuck the rear one on, fits pretty good.

Front needs some adjusting as it's a bit bent due to wrong storage.

Yesterday, I scored a set of the matching Zender fender flares on ebay UK, they should be here next week or the one after that, I think.

Still need to find matching sideskirts and rear wing, then it should look similar to this:

And here's a suitable pic of a catalogue page from 1988

Next step is to buy a donor car for the planned engine swap. I settled on something at last - I'll be going with the 2.3 V5. Probably not the smartest choice in terms of power, mileage and weight, but it should be pretty cool still. Affordable, nice sound and quite enough go in the light Mk2. The handling negatives due to the mounting position (the VR5 and VR6 are actually not that much heavier than a 4 cyl, it's just that the 4 cyls all sit tilted towards the firewall whereas the VRs sit tilted towards the front and so the weight largely hangs in front of the axle) can be combated with some decent suspension setup, so that's not a major problem.

The only downside is, to get the V5 TÜV approved, I'll very likely need to run 280mm brakes - and that will mean I won't be able to run the ATS wheels. But I'll keep them. Recently some changes have been made to our car registration regulations here and it's now incredibly cheap to register a car on historic plates with a seasonal registration (i.e. car that is older than 30 years with period correct modifications and can be driven only in a set period of the year, like april to october or something). So, who knows... maybe I'll own another 4x100 car someday!

Comment

Was in the garage earlier to pick up some stuff and couldn't resist just sticking the front on.

Gonna need a different rad support or modify mine as currently the inner headlights hit the marked part in the picture. Anyone know if a Jetta rad support would help me out?

Comment

95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

Aaaaaaaand, we got some skirts!

But the flares are still in the mail...

Comment

This is going to be cool! *subbed

I've got a set of Zender Turbo Ph1 on my Lupo, love those wheels. Would look great on de mk2 aswell.

Comment

Agreed, they would look pretty cool! I do however, want some 3 pc split wheels in 15 or 16 inch. Some Zender Stars, Schmidt ML, OZ Futura, BBS RS... Something like that.

Yesterday, the arches finally arrived!

I stuck them on today. I think they're about as wide as G60 flares. Should be enough to fit some 8x15 or 9x15s...

​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X