No announcement yet.

My 7 Month Love Story (Mk4 R32 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 7 Month Love Story (Mk4 R32 Content)

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum, and as you may be able to guess from my username, I have (had, but we'll get to that) a 2004 Volkswagen R32.

This story begins in December of last year, when I graduated from Penn State University with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, with a job lined up as a vehicle engineer at the Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, MI. As a reward to myself for all of the years of poverty and strife of college, I decided to buy myself a big boy car, that would be as practical as it was fun to drive.

Throughout my time in school, my daily was a 2000 Honda Civic Si (purchased in 2012, still have).

Home for all your photos and videos, automatically organized and easy to share.

This car served me well in putting around town, going to car meets, and in general, travelling well above the speed limit. Despite it's high mileage, this car got me to and from h2o twice, as well as 2 internships that were 7 hours from Happy Valley. In fact, it ran flawlessly right up until I went to look at the R32 in January of this year, when it shut down on me just south of the PA/NY border. (cue trailer pic)

The above pic is the product of a coffee filled rescue mission starting at 8pm in State College and ending well after 3am back safe in State.

So after sourcing a different means of transportation to go look at the R32, which had somehow not been sold at this point, I checked out the car, test drove it, and was instantly hooked. So the next weekend, after sorting my financials, I went back up to New York and bought the car.

Here is how she looked when I got her back to the Honda dealership I worked at part-time during school.

She had 109,000 miles, almost flawless paint and interior, and an extremely pleased new owner.

A couple weeks later, I moved to Dearborn, to start my new career. She made the 6 hours seem like nothing, cruising smoothly on the Ohio Turnpike, cooing an amazing exhaust note at a very reasonable 3200 RPM @ 80ish MPH.

First order of business was to visit the nearest VW dealership, to get an oil change and get to know the Service Department (Just in case, heaven forbid, anything happened to her). Having worked at a dealership previously, I can tell you that having a good relationship with the service writer and manager can make a huge difference in the cost of maintaining your car, should you choose to do so at a dealership.

They were kind enough to hand wash the car for me after the oil change, which was extremely welcome with all of the salt on Michigan roads in February. Naturally, I took a picture with her little brother on the other side of the glass, a brand new Golf R.

And then she and I went back to our new home.

That's the first part of this saga. Hopefully the pictures work, I am using Google Photo, because it syncs seamlessly with my phone. I may need to transfer to another photo hosting service. I also apologize for the photo quality, I don't have a proper camera, only my Samsung Note Edge

Stay tuned for part 2.

ADMIN: Please delete/close this thread. I somehow accidentally created 2, one w/ working pics, and this one w/ dead ones.

Comment

Working...
    X