Turbobrick action, My Volvo with some oz whees.,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbobrick action, My Volvo with some oz whees.,

So this is my first car that i bought to become a projectcar. Ive had 3 volvos before this and i want to do this car different, proper suspension, proper wheels and proper engine.

So this is what i am dealing with a 1989 Volvo 740 turbo. Its a bit rough around the edges, but its a solid rust free car and mechanically in great condition.

First thing i did for the car was a proper clean. The interior was filthy and it doesn't help that a service station has owned it for 27 years.

I tried several interior cleaning products and even a steam cleaner, but the dirt wouldn't come off. So finally i tried some wheel cleaner with oxalic acid. It worked great and did not take the color off.

After that it was time for some upgrades, first off i started to look for wheels but as i didnt find anything i like i bought some coilovers. There's not much choice in coils for volvos so i bought BC-racing br coilover set. Sand-blasted the old wheel hubs welded new coils to them, some paint and wheels bearings. After i had changed bunch of stuff and it was time to put the brakes back on i didn't want to put the old shitty ones back so i upgraded the brakes to Volvo xc90 units. Disks are 328mm diameter and calipers are huge. Those brakes are also designed for a car that weights a tonne more than my car so the brakes are great.

After testfitting i took them apart and painted them. 740 brakes use 2 brakelines per caliper and xc90 brakes use only one so i had to delete the other one and in the meantime i decided to replace all brakelines in the front. I have heard that doing breaklines is pain in the ass but it wasn't that bad.

Painted the calipers with Bmw techno violet.

Also bought OZ futuras that were in their original shape. I tought it wouldnt be a big deal to refurbish them, but boy i was wrong . Stripped the laquer off the lips sanded sanded and sanded some more, ordered some wider rear lips and endedup sanding them too, polished them after that cleaned the inner barrels form earlier wheelweight stickers and cleaned the centers. I also made a wheel sanding machine out of a paintpolisihing machine . Heres some pictures from the wheels.

When i got bored polishing and sanding the wheels i refurbished some stuff.

new corner lights and panels under the front lights

refurbished tails

I also decided to change the hanging roof lining but it didnt go as i planned and, well no i dont have one

I had to fit the wheels with some spacers as volvo has 5x108 bolt pattern and theres no decent wheels for that bolt pattern.

When i finally got the wheels done i had a hard time deciding what size tires i should run on them. Wheels are front: 17x8,5 and back 17x9,5 and offset is close to zero. And i ended up buying front: 215/45r17 and back:245/40r17 i was afraid that the 245 is too wide to fit under the arches but it ended up being perfect size!

So this is where i am now got the wheels fitted under the car on friday and got to drive it fo rthe first time today .I still need to do alligment and adjust the ride height and damper settings, when i get to drive it more. And next up will be some small upgrades and a engine swap as i get some money to do it

And some pics as it sits now!

Still got lots to do but well its a start
    Last edited by Jannes123; 09-23-2018, 09:10 AM.

damn boi.

that looks awesome! i love the "privacy" glass rear quarter windows...my '85 had those.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

the light refurb came out wicked man!

Comment

These always look so amazing

Comment

this is awesome dude !!
          Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Thanks guys! Its great to get feedback from what iam doing

I have been doing some small maintance. First of all i got rid rest of the hanging rooflining also had a hardtime removing the glue of the sunroof rooflining. The sunroof also wasn't working right so i took the motor off and opened it and found out that somebody had earlier tried to repair it.Greas had almost turned into a glue and the motor could baerly move the mechanism. So i cleaned it up and also the gears were assembled wrong. After i greased it with some vaseline and installed the gears right way it worked great. fortunately i dont have pictures from that as my hands were too dirty.

Todaymy plans are to do a ghetto allingment so i can drive the car on weekend and test out the brakes properly. Hopefully the weather is good for some pictures too

Comment

Today was the last time i drove the car this year as winter is coming and the bushes have seen their best days. I have only been driving the car and did some small electrics as the car previously had no interior lights. But next up i will be changing all the bushes and maybe some other small details.

But here's some pictures i took couple weeks ago!

Comment

looks good

Comment

awesome! love the look of the futuras without center caps

Comment

Nice to see some good looking bricks around here aswell Most of turbobricks community is not common with lowering them that much.

By the way, if someone's interested in future, we are starting to sell custom coilovers for Volvo's for much more friendly prices then coilovers in the market at the moment.

Keep up the good work, interested in how this goes further!

Comment

Car looks great man! I had a set of 5x108 OZ Futuras at one point but I since passed on the Volvo, and sold them to a guy swapping a 2JZ into a V90... they look great here!
                      My Build:

Comment

looks good. Rear needs to come down a bit!

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Yeah! I actually just noticed my self that the rear looks a bit high when looking at these pics! Biggest problem at the rear is that there isnt that much room in the rear wheel arches �� but that problem can be solved by cutting the inner side of the arch but but, then i would have to weld new inner arch and the paint will burn from the out side. Other way is to hammer/roll the arces more but i dont like the look of that.

I also like alot of the futuras without centercaps, my friend has a set o centercaps lying around but when i fitted the wheels i decided that the wheels look better without them. I also thought that some black mishimoto wheel nuts would be cool with the wheels.

Nsogiba i like alot of your corvette too! My parents actually have a c5 with borla exhaust system and new cam and thats a really fun car to hoon around

Comment

Damnnn looks awesome

Comment

Originally posted by philohlean View Post
                              Car looks great man! I had a set of 5x108 OZ Futuras at one point but I since passed on the Volvo, and sold them to a guy swapping a 2JZ into a V90... they look great here!
                              I didn't know that Allen was putting Futuras on the red car. Sweet.

To the OP, car looks really good. I agree that it looks like the rear needs lowered a bit to match the front. Makes me want to get my splitters fitted.
                              '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
                              Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Working...
                              X