No announcement yet.

From donk to drift, a Q45 story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never heard of the Q45... shitting bricks realizing that theyre freaking cheap, rwd, and v8. Now i can hoon and take my siblings to school
    Whatever path you take to get to your automotive nirvana is the right path, everyone’s path is different. If more people liked cars because they are cars—not because they are a way to get attention or to way to be better than someone else—then I think the automotive world would be a better place. -benmassey

Build Thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Tate View Post
      Dat wing tho. That sweet sweet wing
      I wanna slap it on, but we'll probably throw it on after we bash up the car and throw a body kit on it.

Originally posted by CDeez5 View Post
      I have never heard of the Q45... shitting bricks realizing that theyre freaking cheap, rwd, and v8. Now i can hoon and take my siblings to school
      TBH I never payed any attention to the q45... until we decided to chop one up and use for drifty things.

Originally posted by Motoman325 View Post
      shoulda kept the lift and slammed the coilovers. a drifting donk would be very unique
      very interested, craigslist here i come
      And it would confuse people even more!

UPDATE #2

jk...

Well, I know there was supposed to be an update on the Y33. But Paul's B5 decided to do B5 things like burn oil/ kill turbos. SOOOO probably an update next weekend, who knows.. keepin it casual tho

99 GS 400
      85' 190d
      99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
      97' q45 (rip)
      ig: erik.docx

Comment

All the way in for this. ALL THE WAY

Comment

UPDATE #3: one step closer

Alrighty, so after that short delay (pauls B5 dying, 2 track days at thunderhill, work/ school), we can start working on the car again. We ran into some issues last time we worked on the car, mainly the front swaybar/ tie rod ends were preventing us turn lock to lock without hitting something. so our solution, probably not a good one... was to remove the front swaybar and get 300zx tierod ends. That gave us more angle than expected!

After all that we decided to play around with the ride height.

and well, if I figure out how to embed some videos i'll post up our first ride impressions... hahaha

well next time well be putting on some tint, a detail, and fixing the ride height hopefully for a local car show at Shukai in DT San Jose.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
          99 GS 400
          85' 190d
          99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
          97' q45 (rip)

Comment

Imma need a more complete picture of this on the ground.

I have filled out the appropriate forms in triplicate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tate View Post
              Imma need a more complete picture of this on the ground.

I have filled out the appropriate forms in triplicate.
              I see your request for a picture and add you two videos.

99 GS 400
              85' 190d
              99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
              97' q45 (rip)

Comment

sick whip bruuuh. mad skrapez and skidz nam sayin'?

Comment

Originally posted by snugglekins View Post
                  sick whip bruuuh. mad skrapez and skidz nam sayin'?

C0m3 thru thiz w33k3nd and snap s0m3 piks plz
                  99 GS 400
                  85' 190d
                  99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                  97' q45 (rip)

Comment

UPDATE #4

So its been a little while. been pretty busy with work and some random track days. for instance we stopped by Sonoma Raceway to watch Naoki Nakamura drift.

Also ran into our friend Dylan, who i think was the only one crazy enough to drift a miata there.

and a few other random crappy ipad pictures from that night.

Alright now on to our "progress"

We needed to do some maintenance to the car since we had no idea when the last time it was serviced... since you know... sketchy $700 car...

doesn't seem that bad.

we also were "inspired by Noriyaro's Dajiban video and bought a "Specter" intake. we had to slightly modify our MAF/ intake to accommodate the new intake filter. Notice our fine craftsmanship. and an intake box full of water.

Next up we were worried that with the 12 miles that we drove this fine automobile at this "low ride height" that we may have rubbed the wiring harness. And well we had started to. So with no idea what to do we tucked it up in the fender.

And with that we started on our new window tint. But not with out a "nice" and "refreshing" Kombucha.

So that about it for now. The battery was so dead that it killed the alternator, when we tried jump starting the car it wouldn't even hold idle and it would just backfire from the intake and die lol. So after we get the alternator/ a new battery the car should run. After that all thats left is an alignment, exhaust, and to plumb the handbreak!

And one last shitty picture of this bucket before I get back to work.

I lied

Last edited by leaferiksin; 12-09-2016, 07:18 PM.
                    99 GS 400
                    85' 190d
                    99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                    97' q45 (rip)

Comment

Keep it going!

Now, I want to know everthing about that 2002, looks soooooo cool!

Comment

looks good

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...=55145&page=99

Comment

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                          Keep it going!

Now, I want to know everthing about that 2002, looks soooooo cool!
                          its got some good coilovers, full restoration, and its the guys daily

Originally posted by Tim Holm View Post
                          looks good
                          Thanks, its going to get more... interesting....

On another note the Q45 should be up and running tomorrow!
                          99 GS 400
                          85' 190d
                          99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                          97' q45 (rip)

Comment

UPDATE #4.5 - what

hmmm whats going on here?

Last edited by leaferiksin; 01-09-2017, 01:47 PM.
                            99 GS 400
                            85' 190d
                            99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                            97' q45 (rip)

Comment

Awesome stuff man, in for more

BMW E36 Touring Sport - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76178
                              Instagram: @Vish399

Comment

UPDATE #5

Alrighty, jumping right back into this. Now heres a large update:

During a car meet Paul and I heard that one of our local shops, Because Bags was parting out a q45 and that we could take anything we wanted off there for cheap. So that weekend we ran down there that week and picked up a bunch of body parts that we knew would see some wall contact on the track.

Doner car

Yah and if you thought our car was rough...

and the parts haul:

And saw some cool cars there

MR SN Elvis

RWB 911

and a 240 shell with full interior for sale

Back in the driveway we swapped on the "new tail lights"

And took pictures of some scenery

Threw on the "new" door handle things

Threw a new battery on

Fixed the hood strut and cleaned up 5 months worth of debris

And found the source of the original power steering failure.

So Paul made a new power steering hard line with AN fittings because the stock one wraps itself around the block hella complicated like. The cheapest OEM spec line was like $250 wile the AN fittings were $120 on amazon. I'll take better pictures if it later.

So BAM the car now runs and has a working power steering system! Time for an alignment.

Random test drive pictures

So we brought the car to a friends shop to throw it on the alignment rack and to figure out exhaust options.

We set a "conservative" ride height (we have to drive the car 200 miles round trip to the tack and back a few times a month for drift events)

and also removed the stock exhaust. Holt crap this thing with open headers was awesome.

This car came with 2 cats, 2 resonators, and 4 mufflers....

terrible picture of the lowest hanging point of the car, the cats, which you can barely see.

In return for the alignment we rolled our friends fenders on his e36 M3 4 door.

And the car how it sits now. well be fabricating up an exhaust this weekend as well as making new seat brackets for our STI seats.

The alignment specs were 7.3º camber, 8º caster and 0 toe up front, and 2.5º camber in the rear.

99 GS 400
                                85' 190d
                                99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                                97' q45 (rip)

Comment

Working...
                                X