One Rough R32 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Rough R32 build

Hey y'all! So I bought this R32 a little over three years ago. Coming from a 1972 beetle with whooping 40 horsepower, it was night and day to say the least.

After every single raise and promotion I got, I swore I'd bag it. Long story short, I still could never afford it. So this is a long time coming for me.

DSC_2027-6 final

Now, I know most people don't consider a bagged vehicle a "build" but lemme say, it wasn't as easy as most would think. Making sure every little detail was as close to perfect first try. Making multiple measurements, I knew I'd have to redo things after the install, I wanted to keep that number to a minimal.

DSC_4937

First I had to decide on how to hide the compressors, tank, and valve block. Going back and forth between a false floor or just a box in the hatch

DSC_4946

DSC_4941

I decided on just doing half a box in the rear. 5.5" tall so I could show the top part of the tank and the top ports where the steel braided lines from the compressors connect.

DSC_5551

Next was running the lines. It's no show car but I still wanted something simple and clean. I ran the lines through the trim pieces next to the door

DSC_5555

After that the air bag instillation began. First, we tackled the front. Taking my coilovers out and drillingthe top three holes in the strut tower to hold the air bag. We used a shoe lace to make sure the left and right lines up

DSC_5595

DSC_5597 and 5604

It took us a little bit to get the three holes drilled out perfectly for it to sit in it, but around 12:30am we got it! We bolted everything back up in the front and decided to call it a night.

Next day after work, came the rear.

DSC_5622

We unbolted the 4 bolts holding the rear trailing arm and lowering it with the floor jack so we could fit the grinder and drill underneath the rear perch.

DSC_5609 and 5615

The rear bags just fell in after doing that. We bolted everything back up and crossed our fingers!

So after putting the wheels back on, I forgot I was running 10mm and 20mm spacers... Since I only had the extended lugs that went with them, I had to run them. I couldn't air out all the way, but knowing that all the work was completed was satisfactional enough.

DSC_5624

After taking them off, I was able to go a little lower. Now I still have to notch my frame, get smaller tires, and roll my fenders. Until then though, I am completely stoked on how it turned out!

DSC_5647

More to come eventually!
    Bagged MKIV R32
    1983 BMW R80
    @Zachbox

Congrats man! Cool that all went well! Hope to see more soon

Comment

Congrats man! Looks great. Any plans for wheels to complete the "build" lol jk

Comment

Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
        Congrats man! Looks great. Any plans for wheels to complete the "build" lol jk
        haha yeah at some point I will, I just have to wait for my bank account to recover. Nothing extravagant at first though.
        Bagged MKIV R32
        1983 BMW R80
        @Zachbox

Comment

Haha I feel you there, Aristos look pretty great, no matter what tho! Is your paint original? It's rare to see Tornado Red in such good condition.

Comment

The grind is real man! Happy for you to get the air done, and finger crossed you won't find yourself having to fix anything

Any other plans, or are you keeping it all secretive for now?

Comment

Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
              Haha I feel you there, Aristos look pretty great, no matter what tho! Is your paint original? It's rare to see Tornado Red in such good condition.
              ha yeah surprisingly enough it is! I ended up wrapping my roof black because that was getting kind of bad. but other than that, it looks decent!

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
              The grind is real man! Happy for you to get the air done, and finger crossed you won't find yourself having to fix anything

Any other plans, or are you keeping it all secretive for now?
              wheels and interior next. my driver seat looks like its about to tear soon so I'm thinking of addressing that before it actually becomes an issue. but we'll see!
              Bagged MKIV R32
              1983 BMW R80
              @Zachbox

Comment

wish there was more detail but awesome build man! i like it!

Comment

Congrats man! I love the MKIV R32!

Comment

DSC_5714 and 5717

After getting getting the bags installed, I figured I'd make a trunk set up that still let my trunk be usable. I'm constantly traveling or camping. Having bags is cool and all but not being able to take my car places depending on if I needed my hatch would leave it useless!

Not wanting anything crazy, seeing that this isn't a show car, I went with just a basic box. I bought 9 feet of 1"x6" wood slats and made a basic box. The reason behind the 1"x6" is because technically it's only 5.5" and right in between the two ports on each end of the tank measured 5.5" perfectly! Letting me still show off my steel braided lines coming from the compressors.

DSC_5719 and 5722

After making the basic box to hold everything in place, I figured I might as well make a top to it. The hard part was figuring out how to design it. Do I want two pieces held on by hinges I could open up? Or how something maybe transparent to show everything off? Reminding myself it was no show car, I figured I'd go with an easy shelf I can just slide back and fourth giving me access to everything.

I bought a 1"x10" and cut it down to 40" to perfectly lay across the skeleton of a box in my trunk.

Making all the measurements just to find out I didn't bring the right tools home... and that it'd have to wait until I took a lunch the following day.

DSC_5730

DSC_5735 and 5735

Securing it with 6 brackets total, it felt sturdy. Two "L" brackets on the outside, two regular ones in the middle, and two more "L"brackets on the inside.

Next was to make it look like it belonged in there.

DSC_5742

I carpeted it with a fabric I found at Jo Anne's for about $5 a yard. Almost matching perfect!

After making the shelf, I still needed to cut two smaller pieces of wood to cover the corners next to the tank where the air lines show.

DSC_5807

DSC_5811

I worked a little smarter this time, borrowing somebodies skilsaw from work! Definitely made these cuts a little easier.

DSC_5816

DSC_5819

After making them, I wrapped them also to complete the box!

DSC_5871 and 5875
                    Bagged MKIV R32
                    1983 BMW R80
                    @Zachbox

Comment

Loving that Tank Setup !!!
                      simple and it works !!

Love this colour dude ( used to have a VR6 4Motion Bora in tornado )

Any other plans for this gorgeous car !!
                      Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Very nice photography man, and 32 too

Comment

wow,just wow!
                          that colour looks awesome,your photos are great,this is good.
                          please continue

Comment

Originally posted by PassionGarage View Post
                            Loving that Tank Setup !!!
                            simple and it works !!

Love this colour dude ( used to have a VR6 4Motion Bora in tornado )

Any other plans for this gorgeous car !!
                            Thanks man!
                            It wasn't my first choice but it definitely grew on me over the years!
                            Yeah I have my eyes on a set of wheels right now, just trying to figure out what else I'll have to do to the car to make it work!

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                            Very nice photography man, and 32 too
                            Thanks!! I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by valimihairo View Post
                            wow,just wow!
                            that colour looks awesome,your photos are great,this is good.
                            please continue
                            Thank you so much!
                            And I definitely will. I already have more haha
                            Bagged MKIV R32
                            1983 BMW R80
                            @Zachbox

Comment

gimme a sec (e28 build)

Comment

Working...
                              X