Static '68 Karmann Ghia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static '68 Karmann Ghia

Hey everyone, Im making this thread mostly to keep track of the build and get input from fellow enthusiast on my car and some ideas for the future. Ill keep this super up to date with little details.

Car is a 1968 Karmann Ghia, it has a 1600 sp air-cooled volkswagen engine with the matching 4 speed gearbox. I picked it up from my girlfriends grandfather who received it on trade for some electrical work he did (Thats what living in the hills of KY is like) and it already had some trick parts on it like the narrowed beam and drop plates. Obviously the car is RUSTY... like really rusty. So my current plan is to get the car on the road then possibly do a few creature comfort items like better shocks or even air, rebuild the steering box, big power engine, etc.. On the parts list right now is only a disk front brake swap, a clutch cable, and the body panels which I plan to fabricate and stitch the puzzle together. believe it or not the engine actually runs pretty well from what I can tell. I already put a new fuel pump on it and am throwing my spare carb on because the throttle flap leaks through the shaft and out the sides of the carb.

First thing is first, the car will get a new driver side floor pan and lower fender and quarter panel. I started on those today and will do a big update when I finish, hopefully tomorrow night. PLEASE, give me some feedback. I am open to all opinions.

Ghia2 by Cody Mason, on Flickr

A little background on me... I am 21 years old, I go to school and work at a race car preparation shop in Louisville KY called Winning Formula. Ive built several cars, most of which are miatas. I have a few cars that id like to share, First my miata, I race it with NASA in PTE, I built the car in my garage over the past 4 years. It is pretty bitchin, lots of cool parts on it. And my girlfriends RSX, just wheels and a drop for no, but its a great daily for her.

image by Cody Mason, on Flickr
    image by Cody Mason, on Flickr
    '92 Miata
    '68 Ghia

Holy, that's more rot then car...
    Old project: Suzuki Swift mk1 GTi carbs '86
    New Project: Porsche 944 S '87
    Follow me: Whiteknuckleride
    My band on Spotify: Edison Road

Comment

that is a lot of rot but look forward to seeing you bring it back to life.... now will it be a cruiser or will it be built into a racer?

part of me hopes its the last.
      Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Man, your gf's RSX looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauluzz View Post
          Holy, that's more rot then car...
          Yeah it is. but luckily its mostly just around the edges and al the replacement sheet metal can be bought for pretty cheap.

Originally posted by becausephilchow View Post
          Man, your gf's RSX looks great.
          Thanks man!

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
          that is a lot of rot but look forward to seeing you bring it back to life.... now will it be a cruiser or will it be built into a racer?

part of me hopes its the last.
          Just a cruiser. its too far gone to be brought into a racer. It would be kind of sweet to make it a track day car though
          '92 Miata
          '68 Ghia

Comment

or not necessary the full race car something in between like the "outlaw" style Magnus Walker has with his porsche
            Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

In to see the makeover
              Hipstagram tberardinucci

Comment

Thumbs up for a local.
                instagram : demrimz
                StatesideWheel

Comment

Subbed because aircooled vw and local
                  Whatever path you take to get to your automotive nirvana is the right path, everyone’s path is different. If more people liked cars because they are cars—not because they are a way to get attention or to way to be better than someone else—then I think the automotive world would be a better place. -benmassey

Build Thread:

Comment

My buddy had an early 50's Ghia that we were all helping build then just like the show Fast N Loud, someone came up and offered him so much money for it that he couldn't refuse. Don't be like him. Finish what you started! We at S|W are here for you!! Hahaha

Comment

subs
                      Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Got some work done tonight on the ghia. Lots of progress on the new floor pan install and got started on the fender section replacement.

The floor pan is pretty straight forward. The car has a lip that the pan rests on and is bonded to the "frame" from the factory, but I am going to stitch weld it in every 6 inches or so then do a 3M body adhesive over top of it to keep water out and allow a little bit of flex when I smash the earth. The difficult part is going to be stitching the new rocker panel to the fender because the fender section is all rotted away... key in some custom fabrication. I bought a bunch of 90* iron and sheet metal to see if I can't come up with something there.

I started by cutting out the rest quarter section and fender section so that I could have room to slide the new floor pan in and out while make sure everything fits. Then worked on cutting the lower kick panel so that my replacement piece will have a straight surface to be welded to. I also cut the quarter panel section out as well.

Ghia by Cody Mason, on Flickr

Next was to cut the actual pan out and trim up the extra stuff that is left over when its cut out. I didn't take too many photos of this process because my phone was on the aux cord and I was jamming'. I got the new one resting in there for now just as a mock up to see where I need to weld in the new rocker. I went ahead and welded in the fender section and made part of the new inner fender section too.

Hopefully I can finish the pan install tomorrow and get to work on the brakes next week. After that she will be pretty much good to go. Thanks for reading so far!
                        '92 Miata
                        '68 Ghia

Comment

love it... cant wait to see how it turns out...

Comment

Rust is sooo fun, says my 63 Nova looking the same damn way lol

Comment

Got the floor pan all the way in and ready to go. Fairly straight forward install when there is no rocekr/lower fender/quarter; just slide that bitch up in there and start welding. The car comes with a little lip on the "transmissions tunnel?" that the floor pan actually just sits on and is glued to from the factory. All in all It took me 5 hours from the time the old one was out and I had the new one trimmed and tacked into place. Keep in mind I had to weld in new kick panels and stuff too. But I still need to finish glueing it using the 3m body panel adhesive, and she is for sure in there for good. Not too happy with how the fender and the quarter panel don't line up with the bottom of the used rocker I got. I plan on cutting the bottoms off and fabbing up my own pinch weld section. The hardest part about this whole thing was getting the pedals to attach to all the cables, and bolt back up.

Ghia pan by Cody Mason, on Flickr
                              Ghia pan by Cody Mason, on Flickr

Now I just need to install the disk brake swap kit and run to NAPA for some brake lines and wiring connections and she will be street ready. Hoping to take the maiden voyage next week sound Wednesday/Thursday.
                              '92 Miata
                              '68 Ghia

Comment

Working...
                              X