Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upping BC Coilovers w/o Revalve; 2K? 4K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upping BC Coilovers w/o Revalve; 2K? 4K?

Car is a 2004 IS300; coils are BC w/ low kit and 12/10k rates and valving.

Long story short. I bought the car stock and immediately dumped it a couple of months ago(https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7732/2...5c51bea6_b.jpg).

Its since then been lowered 0.25-0.50". Im at my limit due to spring rate; I would like to up the spring rate so I can lower more. So I went a head and emailed BC confirming that I could only jump up 2k before a revalve. this was the response I got:

If you have an extreme low kit, with 12k/10k spring rates, you can do a maximum of 16k/14k spring rates on your current shocks. If you wish to go higher then you will need to purchase new shocks, valved to match the higher spring rates.
    that is a 4k jump. I replied asking confirmation that the #s in the email are in fact correct. Here is the response I got:

Recommend would be 2kg front and rear however, 4kg can possible but it honestly will depend where you adjust your dampers. 4kg is pushing the limit's of the shock and could diminish the life span of the shock. We can try to locate your original order and see the build specs of your kit. We we will need some info to locate your order

Well, that is confusing.. Anyone here have BC coils who can chime in and help me out? I was thinking if I could do 4k id jump up to 16/14k and get regular springs to see if i could make it work. If i could only do 2k, id probably revalve and go 20/16k w/ swifts; as i believe 14/12k would still be too soft for me.

Help? thanks in advance.

So, I asked for further clarification earlier and they confirmed I could go up 4k. I am not sure if that is BC's thing, but I always remember it being a max of 2k change before you had to re-valve...

If anyone has any first hand experience with BC and changing rates, please let me know I would love to hear!

Comment

I don't have info with BC like this, but like they said in their second email, the change in spring rate will depend on the shock tune/build. Also like they said a 4k bump will definitely diminish the life of the coilovers. When I had this issue with BC's, I ended up just getting a revalve to 32/30k for my LS400. IMO you should revalve...just don't go super stiff just to be super stiff.
      95 ucf20. static, flatbelly, 18x11 18x12.5 lots of camber.

be my internet friend on the gram @thisisdalton

Comment

Working...
      X